Carson Wentz and the Colts pick - officially #16 (topic closed)

EazyEaglez

All the Eagles really need is for the Colts to still be in with a playoff shout by week 13, at which point Wentz should have met his snap count escalator number...

It would be interesting to see (especially if Henry is out for the season) what the next 5 likely results could look like by the end of week 13...

I can see the Colts going 3-2 (or at least 2-3) over the next 5 games, putting them at either 6-7 or 5-8, both still in with a playoff chance, so I honestly cannot see the Colts not playing Wentz through week 13 (barring injury), which should give Wentz the needed snaps to send their 1st to The Eagles...

Obviously, from that point, we'd want the Colts to lose every game possible then, and hopefully end up with a mid 1st pick...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe, maybe not...I think what ultimately keeps Wentz playing is the Colts not being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs...and I don't think that by week 13 they will be.

The titans (maybe) losing Henry might have an indirect effect on that, but the fact that the Colts are playing the Jets and Texans in the next 5 games helps enormously, as, hopefully, that's 2 wins for them...

24 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Winning the division is not likely.   Losing yesterday pretty much killed that.  Titans now hold a 3 game edge, with the tie breaker. 

IF the Titans only go 3-6 the rest of the way, they finish 9-8.  For the Colts to hit 9-7-1 which they would need to, in order to beat out the Titans, they'd have to go 6-2-1... with the Bills, Bucs, Cardinals, Patriots and Raiders left on their schedule.  

Meanwhile, Titans still have Texans (x2), Jags and Dolphins.  All 4 are easily winnable for the Titans, and that would actually put them at 10-7, making the Colts need to go 7-1-1 the rest of the way, even more unlikely.

Colts will have to get in as a wild card, and that's going to be tough for them at 9-8, meaning they go 6-3 down the stretch.  They could, but it's unlikely.

We just need them to feel they are competitive for about four more games. 

What keeps Wentz in the lineup is Coach Reich continuing to play him. I think Reich likes him. And his health. As long as Wentz is healthy, I feel like the Colts will keep playing him.

4 minutes ago, toolg said:

What keeps Wentz in the lineup is Coach Reich continuing to play him. I think Reich likes him. And his health. As long as Wentz is healthy, I feel like the Colts will keep playing him.

There is no reason to bench Wentz if he’s the guy they believe is their quarterback. Regardless of their win/loss record. It sounds like their is some turmoil in the Colts organization on Wentz and if he is or isn’t their guy in the future. You don’t bench a guy if you think he is. Benching Wentz means they don’t buy in. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Carson losing games isn’t a problem. The problem is he can’t keep losing games when he’s clearly the one who caused it. If he keeps playing like this when it matters most then people will start wondering if he’s the best option moving forward. He needs to suck just enough to keep losing, but play good enough for the Colts to think it’s everyone else, but him. 

Wo are they going to play at QB Brett Hundley the backup no way hope Wentz is the cause of the Colts losing !

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

There is no reason to bench Wentz if he’s the guy they believe is their quarterback. Regardless of their win/loss record. It sounds like their is some turmoil in the Colts organization on Wentz and if he is or isn’t their guy in the future. You don’t bench a guy if you think he is. Benching Wentz means they don’t buy in. 

I agree. If they pull him, I think he's done in Indy. Wentz wants to be the franchise QB. So if you pull him, he's apparently not the guy; he'll want to seek it elsewhere. That's what happened last year in Philly.

1st round or 2nd round pick in my opinion doesn't really matter much with our draft history. It's an interesting sideshow to follow and discuss but I never thought either outcome changes things a whole lot, even if you don't consider how poorly we have drafted. That said, I'm pretty confident we get a1st rounder barring injury. I just don't see them sitting Wentz before he's played the percentage of snaps we need for the 1st. We shall see....

bill-hader-watching.gif

13 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

They won't bench Wentz unless they are completely out of the playoff picture and want to preserve their first round pick.  With Derrick Henry now being out for 2 months, it will certainly make the playoff race between the Titans and Colts more competitive so hopefully the Colts will be forced to play him.  Let's just hope he doesn't get hurt, as usual.

1 hour ago, toolg said:

I agree. If they pull him, I think he's done in Indy. Wentz wants to be the franchise QB. So if you pull him, he's apparently not the guy; he'll want to seek it elsewhere. That's what happened last year in Philly.

Not to mention the Colts having to pay him. He’s owed a lot of money for a guy they don’t consider the guy so he’d likely be cut or traded again. 

3 hours ago, wyote said:

We just need them to feel they are competitive for about four more games. 

Of course... and the WC will do that.   

2 hours ago, psychodog said:

They won't bench Wentz unless they are completely out of the playoff picture and want to preserve their first round pick.  With Derrick Henry now being out for 2 months, it will certainly make the playoff race between the Titans and Colts more competitive so hopefully the Colts will be forced to play him.  Let's just hope he doesn't get hurt, as usual.

I don’t see any situation where the Eagles don’t get a first other than: 1) Wentz is woefully bad and proves he can’t be the guy 2) Wentz gets Covid to miss enough games or 3) Wentz gets injured. Wentz is their first. That’s why he was traded. They would be opening a huge can of worms trying to preserve that pick. It will fray the already fragile mind of Wentz. It will make them a business pariah. Team would never trade in good faith with them again. Their fan base would go ballistic as they’re willingly throwing multiple games. What happens if the backup comes in and actually wins games? You’re all coming off the foolish pretense the Colts think Wentz is an elite quarterback. He’s there trying to prove he’s that guy. Benching him for three games doesn’t do that. It makes no sense at all. 

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Looking at the Colts final games they probably go 4-5. That’s enough to keep them in the mix with the Titans. I don’t think it’s enough to overcome them though. A 7-10 record probably secures a 1st pick in the teens for the Eagles.

3 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Winning the division is not likely.   Losing yesterday pretty much killed that.  Titans now hold a 3 game edge, with the tie breaker. 

IF the Titans only go 3-6 the rest of the way, they finish 9-8.  For the Colts to hit 9-7-1 which they would need to, in order to beat out the Titans, they'd have to go 6-2-1... with the Bills, Bucs, Cardinals, Patriots and Raiders left on their schedule.  

Meanwhile, Titans still have Texans (x2), Jags and Dolphins.  All 4 are easily winnable for the Titans, and that would actually put them at 10-7, making the Colts need to go 7-1-1 the rest of the way, even more unlikely.

Colts will have to get in as a wild card, and that's going to be tough for them at 9-8, meaning they go 6-3 down the stretch.  They could, but it's unlikely.

I think the 3rd wild card definitely helps us. It's still hard to see how it will play out, but it does mean that 9-8 could be enough and looking at the Colts schedule that should still be a possibility with 4/5 games left (chances are they win at least 2 of the next 4 which puts them at 5-7 and leaves 10-7/9-8 as a possibility. 

As others have said, I think they will be reluctant to bench Wentz if he is healthy and they still believe he is the guy in any event.

I think the best we can reasonably hope for is somewhere between 13-16, but that would be great, especially given the Miami pick.

It didn’t take long for benching Wentz cause he’s great, but needs more weapons talk to resurface. Really what quarterback worth his salt would ever willingly decide to be benched? If you all truly think Wentz is that weak then you aren’t the fans of him you pretend to be. 

1 minute ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I think the 3rd wild card definitely helps us. It's still hard to see how it will play out, but it does mean that 9-8 could be enough and looking at the Colts schedule that should still be a possibility with 4/5 games left (chances are they win at least 2 of the next 4 which puts them at 5-7 and leaves 10-7/9-8 as a possibility. 

As others have said, I think they will be reluctant to bench Wentz if he is healthy and they still believe he is the guy in any event.

I think the best we can reasonably hope for is somewhere between 13-16, but that would be great, especially given the Miami pick.

The Eagles pick will also likely be somewhere between 7-13 as well I’m guessing. Right now the Colts and Eagles have the same record. Miami is like the gift that just keeps giving though. 😂

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles pick will also likely be somewhere between 7-13 as well I’m guessing. Right now the Colts and Eagles have the same record. Miami is like the gift that just keeps giving though. 😂

Miami fleeced the Texans and the 49ers, but we really fleeced them right back. They clearly wanted Chase or Pitts. Both were gone. Waddle is at best a toss up with Smith and on top we get what looks like a nailed on top 5 pick as well.🤣

I did expect Miami to take a step back this year. But I definitely didn't predict this level of ineptitude!

2 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Miami fleeced the Texans and the 49ers, but we really fleeced them right back. They clearly wanted Chase or Pitts. Both were gone. Waddle is at best a toss up with Smith and on top we get what looks like a nailed on top 5 pick as well.🤣

I did expect Miami to take a step back this year. But I definitely didn't predict this level of ineptitude!

Dolphins probably thought they would have Watson by now. They look like an absolute mess. People talk about the Eagles dysfunction, but that squad is completely lost. 

9 hours ago, nipples said:

Considering that Wentz blowing games helps the Eagles draft pick, this should be all Eagles fans. 

I think it fairly obvious that some of these so called Eagles fans are just Wentz fans in reality. 

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Dolphins probably thought they would have Watson by now. They look like an absolute mess. People talk about the Eagles dysfunction, but that squad is completely lost. 

Only thing is, I've just checked their remaining schedule. They have the Jets twice, the Texans, the Panthers and the Giants. Unfortunately I think they will win at least 3 of those which will probably take the pick more in the 5-8 range. But heck they lost to the Jags so who knows!

So what happened to it hurts the Wentz cheerleader? Is someone too bummed to get on their burner account? 😂🤣😂

4 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Only thing is, I've just checked their remaining schedule. They have the Jets twice, the Texans, the Panthers and the Giants. Unfortunately I think they will win at least 3 of those which will probably take the pick more in the 5-8 range. But heck they lost to the Jags so who knows!

Jets quarterback seems like he can play a little bit. I don’t know about those games yet. The Panthers well who knows what team shows up there, and the Giants are a bad team, but can occasionally surprise teams. All of these games are almost coin flips. 

12 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

The best case scenario for that pick was always somewhere in the 13-20 range.  Higher slot than that and it means Wentz was almost surely playing bad enough to get benched.

51 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Colts couldn't possibly bench Carson Wentz to preserve 1st round pick, well the Indianapolis Star disagrees.

That’s like ESP saying the Eagles won the joint practices or will win 10 games. Or Eskin saying the Eagles were trading for Watson. Most important part was his doubt the Colts FO and coaching staff would even attempt it, because they won’t. 

Archived