EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

12 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I saw an article today that said that the Bears really like Flores from their time with the joint practices with Miami. 

Interesting there was some bears beat writers on Sirius last week saying harbaugh is up there from what they heard. Whoever they hire better like Justin fields and believe in him. Because Nagy didn’t believe in trubisky and that report came out the first year he got there. 

I like Brian Flores but I don’t know with a young quarterback that needs a lot of grooming that I want Brian Flores as my head coach. I want someone like daboll or harbaugh if I have Justin fields.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Interesting there was some bears beat writers on Sirius last week saying harbaugh is up there from what they heard. Whoever they hire better like Justin fields and believe in him. Because Nagy didn’t believe in trubisky and that report came out the first year he got there. 

I like Brian Flores but I don’t know with a young quarterback that needs a lot of grooming that I want Brian Florez as my head coach. I want someone like daboll or harbaugh if I have Justin fields.

That's true. But, if you get a good OC and QB coach, then it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

One thing that I think everyone has to acknowledge…the Eagles are unpredictable at QB.  Even though AR and Chip Kelly have influenced some surprise QB decisions over the years, they have still…at a minimum…occurred under the watchful eye of Lurie/Roseman, while others were initiated by them.

Sure, they may have a penchant for only settling for making a splash at QB (2015 Bradford, 2016 Wentz), but they also settled for going into seasons with Kevin Kolb and Jalen Hurts, not to mention drafting those two in the first place.  They dragged Vick out there in Chip’s first year when everyone knew that was over.  

The underlying theme with all of these moves is that none of them worked…but they have a somewhat bi-polar trend between settling to go into the season with bad QB’s and aggressively making a splash to shake up the position.

I don’t think anyone can really pretend to know what they intend to do this offseason.

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I actually believe this is going to happen within the next 5-7 years. I also think an 18th game is coming. 

100%.

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I like Brian Flores but I don’t know with a young quarterback that needs a lot of grooming that I want Brian Florez as my head coach. I want someone like daboll or harbaugh if I have Justin fields.

If the Bears try to marry any hire to Fields they won't get anybody on their top 10 list of candidates.  Fields was just a bad pick.

Just now, eagle45 said:

One thing that I think everyone has to acknowledge…the Eagles are unpredictable at QB.  Even though AR and Chip Kelly have influenced some surprise QB decisions over the years, they have still…at a minimum…occurred under the watchful eye of Lurie/Roseman, which others were initiated by them.

Sure, they may have a penchant for only settling for making a splash at QB (2015 Bradford, 2016 Wentz), but they also settled for going into seasons with Kevin Kolb and Jalen Hurts, not to mention drafting those two in the first place.  They dragged Vick out there in Chip’s first year when everyone knew that was over.  

The underlying theme with all of these moves is that none of them worked…but they have a somewhat bi-polar trend between settling to go into the season with bad QB’s and aggressive making a splash to shake up the position.

I don’t think anyone can really pretend to know what they intend to do this offseason.

There are a lot of teams that want QBs right now. The supply won't be there.  I think the Eagles will probably ultimately stick with Hurts and Minshew for next year, but Howie will try to move one of our 2022 1sts into 2023 in case we want to go QB then.  I think Wilson will stay in Seattle and Pete will probably be the one to go.  I think Rodgers will either stay in GB or go to Denver.  It's hard to know where Watson will go, but there are a lot of teams that want QBs and he seems pretty picky about where he wants to play.

9 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

That's true. But, if you get a good OC and QB coach, then it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Not sure i trust Flores to do that. Cause i don’t think there offense saw much of an improvement from 2020 to 2021. I think one of the major reasons besides some of the friction with Flores was the fact their offense was really very similar in 2020 as in 2021. I actually think Flores best fit would be someone like Denver if Denver goes all in to get a veteran QB like Wilson or the raiders as carr is already established and he can work on their defense. 

4 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Rams score a TD before HT and then get the ball to start the 2nd half and they could be up 35-0. 

Hey, NFL, how soon before you expend the playoffs to 8 teams per conference.  Or maybe do what college basketball does and have ALL the teams play in a playoff tournament so the regular season is just for seeding the teams?  Like how teams go 0-14 in their conference and still get to compete in the conference tournament.  Would have been cool to see the following play-in games:

JAX at ATL

DET at CHI

HOU at CAR

NYJ at NYG

I think you're really missing out here and need to get on the ball.

After those riveting play-in games, Jets/Chiefs and Giants/Packers would make for fantastic wild card weekend games.

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Not sure i trust Flores to do that. Cause i don’t think there offense saw much of an improvement from 2020 to 2021. I think one of the major reasons besides some of the friction with Flores was the fact their offense was really very similar in 2020 as in 2021. I actually Flores best fit would be someone like Denver if Denver goes all in to get a veteran QB like Wilson or the raiders as carr is already established and he can work on their defense. 

I just don't think Tua is a pro QB when all is said and done.  The jury is out on Fields.

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I actually believe this is going to happen within the next 5-7 years. I also think an 18th game is coming. 

I know.  I think it's disgusting and simply a revenue grab while you're watering down your product.  I also wouldn't be surprise if they expand within the next 10 years.  Whether that's new teams in US cities or overseas, but they are pushing for it.  The game might be unwatchable by then, like Arena League outdoors on a bigger field.  All sports are slowly being ruined.

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Over a USC guy? Every time. 

PS- Beckham is still quite good. 

Lol he clearly tapped the second foot. 

Yeah, I just saw a replay. I thought the blue area was the end zone. I now see that the end zone contains the green area as well.

1 minute ago, Wentz_Era said:

If the Bears try to marry any hire to Fields they won't get anybody on their top 10 list of candidates.  Fields was just a bad pick.

Idk about that. It depends on how guys like harbaugh feel about fields. Don’t get me wrong I don’t like Justin Fields that much. I wouldn’t have made that move that they did. But you already did it unless you’re going to chalk it up to a sunk cost after a year. And even then they’re going to have a hard time getting one of the better candidates cause you don’t have a first round pick this year and you don’t have a quarterback if that’s how you feel. 

that said we don’t know how somebody like Jim Harbaugh feels about Justin fields. He saw him at Ohio State so he might think he can make him into a good quarterback like he did for a couple years with Colin Kaepernick.

6 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

One thing that I think everyone has to acknowledge…the Eagles are unpredictable at QB.  Even though AR and Chip Kelly have influenced some surprise QB decisions over the years, they have still…at a minimum…occurred under the watchful eye of Lurie/Roseman, which others were initiated by them.

The underlying theme with all of these moves is that none of them worked…but they have a somewhat bi-polar trend between settling to go into the season with bad QB’s and aggressive making a splash to shake up the position.

True dat.   I won't pretend to know what they will do.

IMO they listen to all the "experts" at WIP too much which is why they don't draft Justin Jefferson's because he is just a "slot"

2 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I just don't think Tua is a pro QB when all is said and done.  The jury is out on Fields.

Oh I agree with you. I wasn’t a huge tua fan before his hip injury. I just didn’t love his arm strength. People did I could understand why people did I just wasn’t enamored with him. I think the jury still out on Justin fields. I wasn’t a big fan of Justin fields coming out but there’s no way you can make a coaching hire right now with no first round pick. then just say we don’t have a quarterback either. That’s a double whammy. So whoever they hire they have to be sure that coach believes he can get the most out of Justin fields.

Well, it's happened. Hurts stans are rushing to social media for the "Murray is struggling too, QBs in their first games can struggle!" takes.

When for anyone who was paying attention, yesterday didn't change anything. The fact that peoples eyes finally opened up to the fact that he's not very good is an indictment on their evaluation through the regular season more than anything else.

After tonight there will be 8 QBs left competing for the Super Bowl:

Josh Allen — 122 runs vs 646 throws = 18.9% ratio

Patrick Mahomes — 66 vs 658 throws = 10.0%

Joe Burrow — 40 runs vs 520 throws = 7.7%

Ryan Tannehill — 55 runs vs 531 throws = 10.4%

Tom Brady — 28 runs vs 719 throws = 3.9%

Matt Stafford — 32 runs vs 601 throws = 5.3%

Aaron Rodgers — 33 runs vs 531 throws = 6.2%

Jimmy Garappolo — 38 runs vs 441 throws = 8.6%

Looks like QBs throwing the football are the ones left standing.  Run for show, throw for dough.

Meanwhile,

Jalen Hurts — 139 runs vs 432 throws = 32.2%

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

Looks like QBs throwing the football are the ones left standing.  Run for show, throw for dough.

Meanwhile,

Nice variation on the golf saying.

2 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

There are a lot of teams that want QBs right now. The supply won't be there.  I think the Eagles will probably ultimately stick with Hurts and Minshew for next year, but Howie will try to move one of our 2022 1sts into 2023 in case we want to go QB then.  I think Wilson will stay in Seattle and Pete will probably be the one to go.  I think Rodgers will either stay in GB or go to Denver.  It's hard to know where Watson will go, but there are a lot of teams that want QBs and he seems pretty picky about where he wants to play.

Teams in the QB market:

Denver

Carolina

NYG

Philly

WFT

Atlanta

New Orleans

Teams with shaky relationships with their starters:

Cleveland

Houston (Mills)

Miami

Teams with QBs who may move them: 

Vegas

Seattle

Watson will knock a team off that QB market list.  If Rodgers/Love and Garoppalo/Lance are split apart, that will also knock teams out of the QB market.  If Vegas and Seattle enter the QB market, that means 2 other teams exit it.

Rough estimate, that means about 6 teams will enter the draft willing to spend a high pick on the right guy, if they like someone.

I don’t really know how 5-7 teams in the market compares to most years, to be honest.

4 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Meanwhile,

And Josh Allen’s biggest flaw is that he runs too much.  It is a part of his inconsistency.

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

Teams in the QB market:

Denver

Carolina

NYG

Philly

WFT

Atlanta

New Orleans

Cleveland

Houston (Mills)

Miami

Vegas

Seattle

Watson will knock a team off that QB market list.  If Rodgers/Love and Garoppalo/Lance are split apart, that will also knock teams out of the QB market.  If Vegas and Seattle enter the QB market, that means 2 other teams exit it.

Rough estimate, that means about 6 teams will enter the draft willing to spend a high pick on the right guy, if they like someone.

I don’t really know how 5-7 teams in the market compares to most years, to be honest.

I would add Minnesota and Indy.  I don't know if those teams want Cousins and Wentz back.

4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Teams in the QB market:

Denver

Carolina

NYG

Philly

WFT

Atlanta

New Orleans

Cleveland

Houston (Mills)

Miami

Vegas

Seattle

The problem with Atlanta is they’re stuck with that Matt Ryan contract. It is a $40 million dead money but in order to cut or trade him. So they’re locked into Matt Ryan for another year. So I tend to believe they’re not gonna be in the market for a veteran quarterback and they likely aren’t gonna take a quarterback in the first round. I would think they might take one in around two or three as Ryan is about done and to eventually take over the following year when they finally could move on from Ryan

I think Carolina is more likely to draft a quarterback then go after a veteran. They’re stuck in that Sam Darnold contract because they guaranteed his fifth your option when they made that trade and exercised the option. Which was absolutely idiotic. I can understand the trade if you believe he still has that talent in him and you could get the most out of it but I’m not willing to risk guaranteeing his fifth your option as soon as I exercise it without seeing him in our offense or a game. 

3 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Nice variation on the golf saying.

I needed to change it because I can’t putt for crap.  

Archived