EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

If Bosa and Warner can play this week, I think they have a really good shot of winning. It is going to be ridiculously cold there next weekend...negative windchill. Deebo is a player who could be a difference in that kind of game.

I really believe the difference in that game is going to be that Jimmy Garoppolo at some point is going to implode. The Dallas game should’ve never been that close if Jimmy Garoppolo didn’t do something stupid like the interception he had. that fourth quarter by Shanahan and Jimmy Garoppolo was really bad. They hung on and won so it’s gonna get overlooked but if they would’ve lost that game it’s basically what happened in the past with Shanahan and Jimmy Garoppolo 

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Teams in the QB market:

Denver

Carolina

NYG

Philly

WFT

Atlanta

New Orleans

Teams with shaky relationships with their starters:

Cleveland

Houston (Mills)

Miami

Teams with QBs who may move them: 

Vegas

Seattle

Watson will knock a team off that QB market list.  If Rodgers/Love and Garoppalo/Lance are split apart, that will also knock teams out of the QB market.  If Vegas and Seattle enter the QB market, that means 2 other teams exit it.

Rough estimate, that means about 6 teams will enter the draft willing to spend a high pick on the right guy, if they like someone.

I don’t really know how 5-7 teams in the market compares to most years, to be honest.

Good breakdown. 

Wilson isn't coming to Philly and he hasn't looked good this year. 

Rodgers is a head case and I think he ultimately stays in GB.  Maybe hope they trade Love?

And Watson you only consider if he gets the legal trouble behind him.  

The best option in a trade would be to go for Derek Carr.  Should be had for reasonable compensation if they want to trade him.  You want to give a 30 yr Qb a new contract?

It is going to be tough to get a vet. 

Maybe roll the dice in the draft to compete for the position?  Doesn't seem like many sure things.  Wasn't too impressed with what I have seen from the draft picks but you never know.  Maybe they scout out a gem

2 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Based on the lowering the helmet rule, it should've been a penalty.  They stopped calling it on offensive players this year and it was a point of emphasis last year.

I was going to say the same thing. i thought there was a rule that they implemented to prevent something like that by the offensive player. They should’ve called it on that.

9 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I think the teams that are going to be more aggressive in the veteran QB trade market this offseason are the broncos (for the reasons you said), browns ( depending on if they can move baker), eagles, Washington (Indy could depending on what they choose to do with wentz. I still frankly think is back in 2022) 

I think the Steelers would at the right price but i think they go draft based on the report yesterday that came out.

i think the giants it could go either way depending on whom they hire as HC and GM. 

atlanta is stuck with Matt Ryan due to $40 dead money hit. So I can’t see them giving up pics to get a veteran quarterback and then having to somehow get Matt Ryan off the books. I see a 2nd or 3rd round pick used on a QB to groom behind Ryan for a year 

I explained Carolina situation before. They are stuck in Sam Darnold‘s fifth year option. That’s a lot of money for them to just go out and try to get another veteran quarterback that’s making a lot of money. basically need a Goff type deal to unload darnold. Probably less comp cause he’s making less than goff and is no cap hit after 2022 

I think part of the reason why Miami fired Brian Flores was because the owner wants to go forward with Tua and I dont think Flores did. 

I think the Saints would like to be aggressive in the veteran quarterback market. I don’t think they’re going to have the cap to acquire one because they are paying Taysom Hill too much money.

That is a massively stupefying move by the Saints.  WTF pay a gadget player that much?  And they have the worst cap situation.  I don't know if Winston was just a 1 year prove it deal, but if he wasn't and they still have him signed then they need to roll with him even after the knee injury.

Wonder if the Stillers trade up for their QB?  Pickett will probably go top 10 so that trade is probably too rich for them.  Maybe they take Strong or Ridder?

Like I said, it's going to be a very interesting off-season and even draft.

3 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Based on the lowering the helmet rule, it should've been a penalty.  They stopped calling it on offensive players this year and it was a point of emphasis last year.

I don't think I have ever seen that called in any consistent manner, even after it was implemented. It might have been called a few times but I can't think think of any recent examples.

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I was going to say the same thing. i thought there was a rule that they implemented to prevent something like that by the offensive player. They should’ve called it on that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the League changed its mind behind closed doors and wants refs to almost always call it on the defense because the NFL wants offense vs. defense.

Just now, metal said:

I don't think I have ever seen that called in any consistent manner, even after it was implemented. It might have been called a few times but I can't think think of any recent examples.

They called it a lot early a year or two ago when they made it a point of emphasis and they were actually calling it more on offensive players early on. But, now you almost never see the offensive player called for it.

For as bad as Calamari has been, he’s still making anticipation throws Hurts would never 

5 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

That is a massively stupefying move by the Saints.  WTF pay a gadget player that much?  And they have the worst cap situation.  I don't know if Winston was just a 1 year prove it deal, but if he wasn't and they still have him signed then they need to roll with him even after the knee injury.

Wonder if the Stillers trade up for their QB?  Pickett will probably go top 10 so that trade is probably too rich for them.  Maybe they take Strong or Ridder?

Like I said, it's going to be a very interesting off-season and even draft.

Yeah I don’t get the Taysom Hill thing whatsoever. I get having a guy who can be that gadget type player but not at that price. 

winston’s contract is voided the last day of the 2021 league year. It’s still $3 mil cap hit though in 2022. 

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

For bad Calamari has been, he’s still making anticipation throws Hurts would never 

Are you sure it’s not this…

1E6E34D3-069A-410D-A9AB-936AA27B8F8B.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

He was KO’d for sure. Just hope there’s no neck damage. 

Do you have any interest in Perrion Winfrey as a DT prospect?  Seems like he has the tools but inconsistent.  I’ve seen him ranked all over on various draft boards.  I like his athleticism and if he sneaks into Round 3 he could be an interesting pick.

Wonder if we are gonna get a scorigami with a 31-11 score. 

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Pretty ironic, I joked asking it Hurts was a "squatter” since he failed to pay rent yesterday.  And then we had the discussion about him squatting in the shotgun before the snap.  

Definitely a pre-snap squatter and a consistent one based on the TB game… no tell! Actually, helped him on a low fastball. 

Still don't know what to make of Strong, but all indications are he will be a draft day riser.

If he gets the green light in medical, he's a top 15ish pick.

I would rather trade for Watson/Wilson, but all options have to be on the table.

Rams will not win the SB and it’s SB or bust for that roster and no draft picks 

5 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Still don't know what to make of Strong, but all indications are he will be a draft day riser.

If he gets the green light in medical, he's a top 15ish pick.

I would rather trade for Watson/Wilson, but all options have to be on the table.

If his knee checks out medically then he could move into the top half of the 1st Round, though I hope he doesn't.  He might be the most NFL ready QB in the draft.  He has the arm and can make all the throws, he can anticipate throwing receivers open and has done it in tight windows, and there's a clip in his IWTETG thread of him changing plays at the LoS, which you don't see much of in college ball.  The knock on him is he's not mobile and a bit of a statue in the pocket, but if he has good enough pocket presence and can simply step/slide 1-2 steps forward/left/right and keep his eyes downfield to make a throw then that's all you can ask.  And the reports are that he does possess that ability.  With all the ways to go in the off-season/draft he might be the best option to draft with one of our three 1st Rounders and let him sit and learn a season with the goal for him to start in 2023 while we build up the D and add a skill player on O in FA. 

Not saying he is the answer, but as you said we need to keep our options open.  And right now there are many ways to go. 

1 hour ago, WentzFan11 said:

What sucks is Hurts will never be as good as Murray 

That’s probably good for us because the team will make the decision to move on much sooner. 

3 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

If his knee checks out medically then he could move into the top half of the 1st Round, though I hope he doesn't.  He might be the most NFL ready QB in the draft.  He has the arm and can make all the throws, he can anticipate throwing receivers open and has done it in tight windows, and there's a clip in his IWTETG thread of him changing plays at the LoS, which you don't see much of in college ball.  The knock on him is he's not mobile and a bit of a statue in the pocket, but if he has good enough pocket presence and can simply step/slide 1-2 steps forward/left/right and keep his eyes downfield to make a throw then that's all you can ask.  And the reports are that he does possess that ability.  With all the ways to go in the off-season/draft he might be the best option to draft with one of our three 1st Rounders and let him sit and learn a season with the goal for him to start in 2023 while we build up the D and add a skill player on O in FA. 

Not saying he is the answer, but as you said we need to keep our options open.  And right now there are many ways to go. 

I really hope they get him.

37 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Do you have any interest in Perrion Winfrey as a DT prospect?  Seems like he has the tools but inconsistent.  I’ve seen him ranked all over on various draft boards.  I like his athleticism and if he sneaks into Round 3 he could be an interesting pick.

I do like Winfrey. I’m a Sooner fan. For our picks…he’s in my opinion a reach in the 2nd, a tinnny reach in the 3rd and potentially a steal in the 4th. Ridgeway is gone, so he’d add good depth with the ability to grow into a starter. I’d be happy with him in the 3rd, ecstatic for him in the 4th. 

Both Sunday games should be really good. Bills at chiefs might be the 2 best teams in the afc with how they are playing. rams at Bucs should be a fun type of game. Definitely the two best matchups next weekend. 

9 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Tough to say.  Go for Carson "The Statue" Strong, Kenny "Baby Trump Hands" Pickett or Malik "Little Wittle School" Willis?  

1 minute ago, Cliftoma said:

Tough to say.  Go for Carson "The Statue" Strong, Kenny "Baby Trump Hands" Pickett or Malik "Little Wittle School" Willis?  

Go Zappe in the 4th. 

Archived