EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

40 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

He set the protections on almost every play this season, so being in charge of 10 other guys at least let’s you know his hand wasn’t being held by a college coach who wished he was good enough to be a quality NFL QB.  Lincoln Riley, check, Kingsbury, check, Kiffin, check.  Mahomes has been a good QB because Reid benched him for most of rookie season to coach up the good, and coach out the bad.     This supposed great QB class of Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields were all out done in their rookie season by Davis Mills, and Tim Couch, for those old enough to remember which proves colleges aren’t preparing these guys in their BS offensive systems.  Every single high draft pick should of sat on the bench this season. 

Sorry for the rant, back to Strong it’s not that he’s completely immobile,  I watched way too many Nevada games this season, and he had at least 4 in a row that his knee was pouring blood. His high school knee surgery ( 4-6) nails put in his knee from a degenerative lesion of some sort, almost ruined his chances to play QB at a Division 1 school.  I also saw a report that last January he had a bone graft done on the same knee that should of kept him out 10 months, but he was back in August.  Also he’s had at least one arthroscopic clean out surgery on that same knee at some point during his time at Nevada.   He was apparently a pretty good HS basketball player which leads me to believe he isn’t Tom Brady, but that knee is a serious concern going forward though. 
His arm strength is comparable to Herberts.

Corral, Willis, and Howell all come in around 6ft tall, Howell became a runner this season out of necessity, he’s much farther ahead of Tribusky coming out.  Willis and Corral are runners, and come from bad offenses.  They’re gonna need some serious coaching to be NFL QB’s, but 2 things I give Corral credit for, he’s got a good arm for a little dude, and he beat up Gretzky’s kid in HS, forcing him to transfer as he was the poor kid.  It’s not Scott Stevens kid, or Joe Carters, but it counts nonetheless. 

Thank you for the input.  Damn, I knew Strong had a knee issue stemming from HS and even that he got it scoped recently, but no idea it was that severe with blood pouring from it during games.  Such a shame and I hope he can get that sorted out to be able to have an NFL career as he has all the tools otherwise.  I agree on giving college QBs at least a season being on the bench in the NFL and learning, being coached up on the good and coached out of their bad tendencies as you put it.  It's the type of long term investment most NFL teams don't make and throw their rookie QBs in the deep end of a swift current river with a lack of OL and skill weapons.  How many times have we seen early round picks fail because of this?  We have to look at 2022 as an expendable season where we build up the roster and give a QB time to learn, if we draft one.  Just because we made the playoffs this seasons doesn't mean we're ready to compete for SBs as we're far from it.  Reload, rebuild, and know that it's going to take 2-3 seasons before we're truly ready to compete.

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing a lot of QB's absolutely suck when it actually matters (Wentz, Murray, Dak, Jones ) I actually don't feel that bad about hurts.

Equally i don't see him as the answer, but very few teams do have the answer at the moment. 

But look at the teams with the elite QBs (mahomes, Rogers, Brady) - they will be the team that wins the SB

43 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

Equally i don't see him as the answer, but very few teams do have the answer at the moment. 

One of the big issues the Eagles are going to have is that there are apparently a lot of teams this off season who need a QB.

I mean I can think of a few without much thought... Denver, Lions, Giants, WFT, potentially Seattle, Pittsburgh, Vegas?, Texans, Miami could, Green Bay could if Rodgers does leave, Atlanta, Carolina, Cleveland may, Minnesota may, New Orleans need to.

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

One of the big issues the Eagles are going to have is that there are apparently a lot of teams this off season who need a QB.

I mean I can think of a few without much thought... Denver, Lions, Giants, WFT, potentially Seattle, Pittsburgh, Vegas?, Texans, Miami could, Green Bay could if Rodgers does leave, Atlanta, Carolina, Cleveland may, Minnesota may, New Orleans need to.

Thankfully, we have more ammo than any of those teams, and enough cap space to absorb a large hit. You can argue about the Giants, but they are in negative cap space and expected to give Jones one more shot.

If we don't land a QB, it won't be because we were outbid.

1 minute ago, D-Shiznit said:

Thankfully, we have more ammo than any of those teams, and enough cap space to absorb a large hit. You can argue about the Giants, but they are in negative cap space and expected to give Jones one more shot.

If we don't land a QB, it won't be because we were outbid.

But do we really want to blow all the draft capital on someone like Wilson who’s not THAT good 

3 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

But do we really want to blow all the draft capital on someone like Wilson who’s not THAT good 

This has been debated to death. Some believe yes, some believe no.

Either way it doesn't matter because Lowie will do what they want.

5 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Pickett is 6’3 and 220, it’s just that he’ll be gone before pick #15 and I wouldn’t be in favor of the Eagles trading up for him — there will be another Kenny Pickett available in the 2023 draft.

I'd be in favor of throwing Hurts in with a first to move up for Pickett...essentially a 1 and 3.  I wouldn't do more than that.  Hurts is an expendable asset once the decision is made to get a QB anyway.

6 hours ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Don’t want Wilson at all, he won’t want to come here anyway. I’m not giving 3 1’s for a 34 year old diva and we don’t even have the wr talent that he is currently used to.

I've been saying this for some time.  Wilson has had far better talent at WR the last few years than the Eagles and what has he done?  Wilson is a thorn in the Eagles sides and seems to have their number but I also think he's highly overrated.  No question he's good and would be a tremendous upgrade over what we have here but he is NOT worth 3 first round picks.  I don't care if Howie sucks at using those 1st round picks, he still isn't worth it. 

Smith said they were in the wrong formation and Reagor was in the correct spot,  and they were discussing it on the sideline. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It's like this every off season.  It's why the Eagles accumulated 3 1st rounders.  One way or another they will need to use them to acquire one of the few good ones.  

32 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I'd be in favor of throwing Hurts in with a first to move up for Pickett...essentially a 1 and 3.  I wouldn't do more than that.  Hurts is an expendable asset once the decision is made to get a QB anyway.

"Throw ins" aren't enough to move up.  If they acquire a veteran QB I think it's OK to keep Hurts as the backup.  If they draft a QB in the 3rd/4th round Hurts stays.  If they move up in the draft to get a QB Hurts has to go but he does not move the needle in a trade up scenario

Take a shot on Coan  or Zappe , very least you get a backup , and zdrafy one 2023

i have been Zappes biggest fan , question mark with him is , level of competition , which he had his way with . I think senior bowl helps him .

Coan big smart football player , nice arm and mobile 

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

What?!   3 firsts and still more?   Heck no!

I wouldn’t even part with the 3 firsts for Wilson.  He may have only 2-3 years left in him.  

Interesting story about Mayock’s firing in The Athletic…

* Supposedly Mayock was all in on Ferrell but was confident he could trade down into the teens to draft him but no trade developed. They took him anyway. 

* Arnette was Mayock’s as well. He did "more research on him than anyone ever.” 

* Gruden and Mayock both liked Abram. They leaned on Tom Cable when picking Leatherwood. 

* The Antonio Brown trade was Gruden’s, as well as many FA moves like paying too money to Trent Brown and Rodney Hudson and the trading them shortly after. Gruden wanted Witten.

7 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Interesting story about Mayock’s firing in The Athletic…

* Supposedly Mayock was all in on Ferrell but was confident he could trade down into the teens to draft him but no trade developed. They took him anyway. 

* Arnette was Mayock’s as well. He did "more research on him than anyone ever.” 

* Gruden and Mayock both liked Abram. They leaned on Tom Cable when picking Leatherwood. 

* The Antonio Brown trade was Gruden’s, as well as many FA moves like paying too money to Trent Brown and Rodney Hudson and the trading them shortly after. Gruden wanted Witten.

I think Mayock can scout and identify traits.  Seems like he couldn't translate that assessment into the appropriate value.

38 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Take a shot on Coan  or Zappe , very least you get a backup , and zdrafy one 2023

i have been Zappes biggest fan , question mark with him is , level of competition , which he had his way with . I think senior bowl helps him .

Coan big smart football player , nice arm and mobile 

I’m ok with either of these guys on day 3. 

38 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Every scheme needs talent.  Schemes cannot overcome lack of talent.  And even then the wrong scheme can negate talent (Cowboys).

33 minutes ago, McMVP said:

I wouldn’t even part with the 3 firsts for Wilson.  He may have only 2-3 years left in him.  

Exactly.  I might go with a 1st this year with a conditional pick for next year, but anything more than that is just not an option.  

12 hours ago, Cliftoma said:

Fans are going to fan.  Always the QB's fault. 

Just like Dak is the whole problem with the 'ish show that McCarthy has going on.  He didn't make that decision.  McCarthy and Kellen Moore did but Dak gets all the hate

uhhh, no. 

8 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Both Sunday games should be really good. Bills at chiefs might be the 2 best teams in the afc with how they are playing. rams at Bucs should be a fun type of game. Definitely the two best matchups next weekend. 

I think 49ers Packers could be really good too. San Fran could score the upset. Hell even Titans/Bengals is interesting. I guess that's what happens when nearly all the favorites win.

Archived