EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

I identified Strong as my favorite QB in the draft before the draft process even started.

That's not me taking credit and trying to look smart; the dude went undrafted.  

At this point in sports science/rehab/orthopedic surgery, it's pretty unlikely for a knee to derail a QB's career...especially one whose game and talent revolve around passing.  That's why I figured: get the talent in here and the knee concern will sort itself out.

The knee, lack of mobility, small school....all erasable concerns for the best arm talent in the draft who also seems to match that with some passing nuance too.  Sure, he may end up a miss, but that kind of talent outside of round 1...even late round 1....is something you take a swing on when you need a QB.

If my rationale were correct, he would not have gone undrafted.  Either he really did not look good at the senior bowl, or there is a lot to those immaturity rumors, or that knee is already a problem after that procedure...or some combination of the 3.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I identified Strong as my favorite QB in the draft before the draft process even started.

That's not me taking credit and trying to look smart; the dude went undrafted.  

At this point in sports science/rehab/orthopedic surgery, it's pretty unlikely for a knee to derail a QB's career...especially one whose game and talent revolve around passing.  That's why I figured: get the talent in here and the knee concern will sort itself out.

The knee, lack of mobility, small school....all erasable concerns for the best arm talent in the draft who also seems to match that with some passing nuance too.  Sure, he may end up a miss, but that kind of talent outside of round 1...even late round 1....is something you take a swing on when you need a QB.

If my rationale were correct, he would not have gone undrafted.  Either he really did not look good at the senior bowl, or there is a lot to those immaturity rumors, or that knee is already a problem after that procedure...or some combination of the 3.

This. And probably more accurately, if your rationale COULD be correct, he probably gets drafted. But I understand the desire for optimism. The situation on these QBs this past draft was about as strange as I’ve ever seen.

I will say that I highly doubt the issue is his knees - even if he could only play football for the next 3-5 years, someone should have taken a flyer.

53 minutes ago, greend said:

Yup, It would be great if somehow we got the steal of the century

The UDFA period could be forever renamed as the "Carson Strong period"... just as pick 199 is now always talked about as the Tom Brady pick.

8 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Eh not trying to make fun of mental health but she got a pass for being a female. Imagine Draymond Greene or Jason Tatum sitting out the finals for "mental health”. Lebron would get pooed on the rest of his life. 

Even better, what if Hurts decides on gameday he mentally can’t go. You’ll be leading the charge in bashing him… and yes I’m sure you’d be happy if he couldn’t go and think the team would do better. 

Lane Johnson sat out a few games last season due to mental health.  Brandon Brooks as well a few years ago.  Did they get a pass for being female?

46 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Mental health?   Come on.  More like sensitive millennial syndrome. 

At first I agreed with Mike, but after I thought about it a while, I now agree with you. She wanted out because of the "twisties", IOW she was afraid she would get injured. The complete opposite of  Kerri Strug and her heroics.

Sorry but if I backed down every time because of my fears I would never leave the house. Mental health is nothing to joke about, fighting through fears isn't harmful to your mental health. In fact I would say just the opposite is true.

48 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

Lane Johnson sat out a few games last season due to mental health.  Brandon Brooks as well a few years ago.  Did they get a pass for being female?

If it were the playoffs, no. If either of them were the QB, probably not. Just my opinion. 

On 5/29/2022 at 2:40 AM, hputenis said:

Wanna see my hot sauce collection?  It’s pretty good. 

Why does everything have to be a hobby nowadays and yes I do want to see your hot sauce collection.  

5 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Why does everything have to be a hobby nowadays and yes I do want to see your hot sauce collection.  

I collect toe jam

A small part of me wants Cam Jurgens to be a bust so I don't have to hear "Beef Jurgy" for the next 10 years.

14 hours ago, matchew88 said:

It will be very interesting to see how Carson Strong does in pre-season.

I hope he doesnt ish the bed after a evening of sketchy dining.. 

14 hours ago, matchew88 said:

It will be very interesting to see how Carson Strong does in pre-season.

My guess? IR after the first pre-season game and probably cut after the pre-season next year.

9 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

My guess? IR after the first pre-season game and probably cut after the pre-season next year.

Wrong. 

22 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

A small part of me wants Cam Jurgens to be a bust so I don't have to hear "Beef Jurgy" for the next 10 years.

I hope they go with just "Beef". I can get behind "Beef" for a lineman. 

11 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Eh if teams viewed a QB as a first round talent or even 2nd, they’d take a flyer on him on day 3 somewhere. Either his injuries are real serious or no one saw him as being that good 

The dude completed 70% of his passes two years in a row, he had 27td and 4int then 36 and 8 last year with over 4000 passing yards. 

One can yeah that was against mediocre competition in a scrub conference but plenty of QBs from smaller schools have gone in the 1st round.

He also has the requisite arm talent and size that NFL teams want.

He's kind of a statue in the pocket but statues like Kyle Trask were drafted in the 2nd Round.

Even if teams weren't sold on his talent teams would have taken a chance on him in the later rounds but no one did which tells me they were scared off by his injury.

We'll see if it's as detrimental as teams thought or if he shows his knee won't keep him from succeeding.

22 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Not a fan of traditional strong arm QBs who fight through injury to help his teammates succeed and get drafted? 

3 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Mental health?   Come on.  More like sensitive millennial syndrome. 

There is a stigma around mental health illness, that athletes like lane Johnson and Brandon brooks are attempting to destigmatize, you are perpetuating that stigma.

5 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Not a fan of traditional strong arm QBs who fight through injury to help his teammates succeed and get drafted? 

Not a fan of a QB with a history of knee injuries that plays like a statue. They are going to stack him behind the 2nd or 3rd string line, he is going to get hit and probably be out of the game quickly.

4 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Not a fan of a QB with a history of knee injuries that plays like a statue. They are going to stack him behind the 2nd or 3rd string line, he is going to get hit and probably be out of the game quickly.

He wasn't always a statue. Last year he was on one leg. He isn't a runner, but moved well in the pocket and can roll out when needed. definitely not what Philly is used to, but he isn't without any mobility....cause he is within the pocket where QBs are meant to play 

1 minute ago, Shalodeep said:

He wasn't always a statue. Last year he was on one leg. He isn't a runner, but moved well in the pocket and can roll out when needed. definitely not what Philly is used to, but he isn't without any mobility....cause he is within the pocket where QBs are meant to play 

Hey, you believe he is the next Johnny Unitas and I believe he is the next in a long, long line of failed UFDA QB. We will see what happens.

20 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

He's got the check mark for accuracy, mechanics, being a cerebral talent at the line. He's got all that down and is really good at all of it. The thing we need to see is his clutch factor. When we need the throws, can he make them? There were quite a few times at Nevada where he brought them back, and would lead me to believe he can, but it's different at the NFL level. We need to know his clutch factor. You can be successful without but not many have won a super bowl without it.

It takes QBs a little while to acclimate to the speed of the NFL so I would expect it to manifest in the first full season. At some point I want to feel that amazement like I did every time Foles answered the GOAT with a score when they needed it.

8 minutes ago, Utebird said:

There is a stigma around mental health illness, that athletes like lane Johnson and Brandon brooks are attempting to destigmatize, you are perpetuating that stigma.

While this is 100% true, everything isn't "mental illness". 

4 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Hey, you believe he is the next Johnny Unitas and I believe he is the next in a long, long line of failed UFDA QB. We will see what happens.

Oh I definitely think it's 50/50 he makes it to year 3, but he has the best arm talent on the team sitting at qb4. I'd probably IR him after the preseason and stash him away to go for #2 next year. I think Hurts plays his contract out here and then Philly makes a decision to move on. Who knows. Warner and Romo were pretty much dismissed to this level before and when push came to shove, put up the numbers. Very long shot, but rare arm strength, calls plays, adjust lines ...man has more going for him than just throwing a deep ball 

Just now, Shalodeep said:

Oh I definitely think it's 50/50 he makes it to year 3, but he has the best arm talent on the team sitting at qb4. I'd probably IR him after the preseason and stash him away to go for #2 next year. I think Hurts plays his contract out here and then Philly makes a decision to move on. Who knows. Warner and Romo were pretty much dismissed to this level before and when push came to shove, put up the numbers. Very long shot, but rare arm strength, calls plays, adjust lines ...man has more going for him than just throwing a deep ball 

Warner and Romo did not come out of college with serious knee injuries.

The Eagles are taking a very, very long shot chance with him, which is what you do with UDFA. I would be shocked if he is still on the roster after preseason next year.

10 minutes ago, greend said:

While this is 100% true, everything isn't "mental illness". 

As I'm not a mental health professional nor privy to any ones mental health medical history it's not really my place to judge who or who isn't mentally ill or exhibiting or experiencing mental illness.

I think sometimes as sports fans we think since we're constantly judging and weighing the athletic performance or potential of a player that it qualifies us to do the same for other non athletic experiences.

It does not, even if I were a trained mental health professional it's unethical to make diagnosis without personally meeting said person and giving them an evaluation 

Not sure how many people here are following the depp heard trial, I'm not particularly following it but have seen a few clips, heards defense hired a "psychologist" who based his evaluation of Depp of him as a pirate in pirates of the Caribbean.😳🤔 That's straight up lunacy, almost as idiotic as stating one knows what someone's mental emotional state is because one saw them talk on TV during a sporting event.

3 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

I'd rather keep him around. If Hurts struggles then I'd want to be able to bring him in and see what we have. If we like what we see then we press forward but I'd want to know before next years draft.

Archived