EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

So Howie has traded two sixths and a JJAW for three 5’9” Nickel/S hybrids the last two years.  Seems like Gannon may be seeking a Nickel/S position on this team.  Wonder if he plays some dime with a combo of Maddox and the best of the Nickel/S hybrids that survives this competition.  Scott’s been getting reps and Vincent back from injury so a three way competition right through to the next cut possibly. Otherwise, seems like a lot to spend for a backup for Maddox.  

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Jarrett, but Bruce Walker is still the worst 2nd round pick.

Sydney Jones?  Let’s face it, Howie had a real streak of bad second round choices.

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

A bit before my time as a fan 

1 minute ago, BigEFly said:

Sydney Jones?  Let’s face it, Howie had a real streak of bad second round choices.

Wasn't he rated really high but had the injury before the draft? I seem to recall a lot on here loving the pick if he could recover from the injury

F JJAW kick him in the back of the nuts on the way out 

7 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Hurts didn’t decide that he wasn’t throwing to Brown, the coaches did. The plays were scripted for evaluation and the coaches didn’t see a need to evaluate the connection with Brown, nor display any of that.  

It is possible that given Hurts’ tendency to hold the ball too long that he has been coached to have a timer in his head and because of his running ability the coaches have said that after 2.5 seconds get out of there if no one is open.  

I wholeheartedly agree with @Iggles_Phan that his pocket presence on that play was horrible.  He should have stepped up, not back and right because the RT was taking his man there.  He went into run mode and also cut the field in half as to what he could see.   I hope Nick said one thing to the press and chewed Jalen a new one in the QB room and tried yet again to show him how to view a pocket  

There is no All22 in preseason so we see only what TV shows us.  

To me, that is preseason football . We know what we have, lets evaluate what we don't know. Scripted plays to give reps to selected players, see how they respond, route running, hitting the designed hole, running behind blockers on the screens, etc. Linemen getting down field blocks ( looking at you Jurgens, nice job),  Wideouts playing through the whistle when the ball goes elsewhere.  Again, downfield blocking, this is evaluation time in real game scenarios. Young guys trying to make the team.

3rd &7?, 4th &1?, 3rd &25?... Time to test concepts, personnel...Cutdowns coming shortly, decisions to be made, Do you want to stand out? Then make a play. Hardest part of the process is occurring right now. Who to keep, set the roster. 

It's not win the game, it's what do we have and where do they fit, who do you keep and how...practice squad etc...

Ravens have won every Preseason game for the last 650 years,,, how they doin?  :whistle:

45 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

The Saints are going to be good no matter what.  The pick was never going to be top 10-15.  It was always going to be 18-25.

Eh, we'll see. New coach, multiple big FA losses, and arguably the most volatile QB in the league. I could really see them going either way. 

19 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Worse than the Range Rover, Quinton Caver? 

32 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Worse 2nd round pick… JJAW or Jaiqwan Jarrett? 

I'd say it's a tie but Jarrett holds the tie breaker based on the fact he was actually taking out his own teammates when playing defense. 

3 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Eh, we'll see. New coach, multiple big FA losses, and arguably the most volatile QB in the league. I could really see them going either way. 

I think they have great players on both sides of the ball.  Winston has some serious targets now provided Michael Thomas is finally healthy.  Yea, it's a new coaching staff but Dennis Allen has greater experience than Sirianni and comes from within the franchise so the players are familiar with him and vice versa.  

I don't see them winning the division or tanking.  I won't be surprised if they are better than the Eagles and also won't be surprised if they are 6-11.  I think they are a WC team though. 

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I think they have great players on both sides of the ball.  Winston has some serious targets now provided Michael Thomas is finally healthy.  Yea, it's a new coaching staff but Dennis Allen has greater experience than Sirianni and comes from within the franchise so the players are familiar with him and vice versa.  

I don't see them winning the division or tanking.  I won't be surprised if they are better than the Eagles and also won't be surprised if they are 6-11.  I think they are a WC team though. 

And

Pete Carmichael's in his 14th season as New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator

Additionally, the other offensive coaches have all been with the Saints 10 plus years.

9 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

If I were betting I'd put them somewhere just above the middle of the pack. But the big question for me is their OL, with more than a few question marks and now sans Armstead.  Plus they better hope Penning's tough guy routine translates to solid play and not just dumb penalties.  While I think Winston can be a good QB at times the guy can also be a pick machine if forced so if that OL doesn't take a big step up that's where I see a potential powder keg for New Orleans.

11 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I wouldn't be that surprised if they did. Falcons/Panthers aren't. Bucs are in the middle of one of those really weird constant distraction offseasons and already have some injuries to key players. 

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I wouldn't be that surprised if they did. Falcons/Panthers aren't. Bucs are in the middle of one of those really weird constant distraction offseasons and already have some injuries to key players. 

I think the Bucs have enough on that team with Tom Brady still for the most part being Tom Brady to make another run.  They probably take a step back but I think the division is theirs.  Also wouldn't be surprised to see Gronk back sooner than later once the season starts.

50 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Walker never made it out of the first training camp.  He's the hands down winner.   And he wore #92 in TC to boot.  Just bad on every possible level.

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

They probably don’t own the Bucs this season, and it’s probably one of the reasons Brady came back, beating him twice had to piss him off. 

37 minutes ago, Doc S. said:

To me, that is preseason football . We know what we have, lets evaluate what we don't know. Scripted plays to give reps to selected players, see how they respond, route running, hitting the designed hole, running behind blockers on the screens, etc. Linemen getting down field blocks ( looking at you Jurgens, nice job),  Wideouts playing through the whistle when the ball goes elsewhere.  Again, downfield blocking, this is evaluation time in real game scenarios. Young guys trying to make the team.

I agree with the bolded.  Did the QB do the work in the offseason to get better at the QB stuff of playing the QB position?  Staying in the pocket, reading the field and delivering a pass on 3rd down.  And that's what I was evaluating.  All the other stuff is window dressing by comparison.  And for me... it was a poor showing.  Small sample size, no doubt.  But that's on Sirianni.  There's no reason that Hurts should have been sidelined so quickly again rather than being evaluated in real game scenarios.  Of course, last year, they basically punted on the PS too.

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

A7B05ECF-EFCA-4563-984F-A4DAF393864B.jpeg

The TD pass he dropped from Minshew last year should of been enough. Reagor’s muffed punt looked better. 

33 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Worse than the Range Rover, Quinton Caver? 

Yup.  Worst ever.  No one has ever been worse.  No one.

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I think the Bucs have enough on that team with Tom Brady still for the most part being Tom Brady to make another run.  They probably take a step back but I think the division is theirs.  Also wouldn't be surprised to see Gronk back sooner than later once the season starts.

They are favorites for sure, it just wouldn't be a complete shock to me if they didn't. Something seems off down there. I get it, it's Tom Brady, but QB's don't just leave the team in the middle of camp for multiple weeks. 

Guest justrelax
1 hour ago, Utebird said:

Why do you think it's funny or necessary to use ,he/him/they in a derogatory way towards other posters, this is at least the 3rd time I remember you doing this towards me or another poster. For that matter how is me making dinner for my family some kind of slight on me?

I really like cooking, I was in culinary school before I had my twin girls, are you implying  that people that cook are somehow less than?

I like cooking as well. I’ve traded recipes on the blog for years. There are a number  of posters on here who have taught me quite a lot. 
Anyone who sneers at cooks is a fool.

Guest justrelax
7 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Walker never made it out of the first training camp.  He's the hands down winner.   And he wore #92 in TC to boot.  Just bad on every possible level.

He wore 92? That’s an abomination.

Archived