EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

Guest justrelax
6 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

I disagree. It is term that we are left with to describe a collection of attributes and proclivities that together constitute a syndrome. The syndrome describes individuals who flaunt social virtue while rejecting  the Enlightenment, science, and free speech. Their tactics are often authoritarian. Many scholars, such as John McWhorter,  have described the syndrome as a religion.  McWhorter has asked the woke for a different term if they find the current  term objectionable. None has been provided. 

Please expand on the attributes and proclivities. I am unaware of them. Seriously. If you prefer to do this via IM, I’m good with that.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

I disagree. It is term that we are left with to describe a collection of attributes and proclivities that together constitute a syndrome. The syndrome describes individuals who flaunt social virtue while rejecting  the Enlightenment, science, and free speech. Their tactics are often authoritarian. Many scholars, such as John McWhorter,  have described the syndrome as a religion.  McWhorter has asked the woke for a different term if they find the current  term objectionable. None has been provided. 

That's like saying, if you don't like being called an A hole give me an alternative that means the same thing.

Woke is a term used by MAGA ALT right, extreme right mainstream right or anyone that can't come up with a better comeback for being ignorant.

Want to call me woke go for it, I'd rather be woke than blissfully ignorant. Nor does it have anything to do with denying  enlightenment science or free speech.

Majority of " woke" people are pro free speech , pro science pro enlightenment. calling the progressive lefts tactics authoritarian is a mein Kampf tactic where one accuses the other side , of what one is already guilty of.

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

That's like saying, if you don't like being called an A hole give me an alternative that means the same thing.

Woke is a term used by MAGA ALT right, extreme right mainstream right or anyone that can't come up with a better comeback for being ignorant.

Want to call me woke go for it, I'd rather be woke than blissfully ignorant. Nor does it have anything to do with  enlightenment science or free speech.

Majority of " woke" people are pro free speech , calling the progressive lefts tactics authoritarian is a mein Kampf tactic where one accuses the other side , of what one is already guilty of.

Go to hell

12 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Please expand on the attributes and proclivities. I am unaware of them. Seriously. If you prefer to do this via IM, I’m good with that.

Your request will require some work.

As to McWhorter and wokeism as a religion:

5 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Well. I am surprised. Woke does not equal cancel culture.

That clown tarred  me with nazism..

21 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

I can't agree with you here, my friend.

Depends on the definition of "woke”.  Given the experience that you have had in academia, I certainly understand your position.  I am old school ACLU where we defended the right of NSDAPs to march and free speech rights for material we might find offensive.   I was watching Bill Maher the other night where he talked about a college course on offensive language being cancelled because the course included offensive language. That is where "woke” crosses the line.  "The party on the left is now the party on the right” , Pete Townsend had it right.  But that also doesn’t mean being silent to offensive words.  As "woke pillars” was used,  it is every bit an attempt to bully his point of view as the "woke” you encounter in academia.  Anti libertarian is the same whichever direction you lean.  

2 hours ago, Utebird said:

Translation: I have a small pee pee and am threatened by strong women.

Yup me too, I've learned quite a bit over the years from various posters about food.

Peter Dinklage doesn't compensate.

GOT Star Peter Dinklage & Wife Expecting Second Child - E! Online

Just now, Utebird said:

You tarred me with authoritarianism.

I didn't tar you with anything - I didn't even mention you.

If anything, you self-identified.

You guys ever seen House of 1000 Corpses?  Man it’s f’d up!!  

For more tips and tricks, please feel free to visit the "Horror Movie Thread” only a few clicks away. 30 pages and counting!  

3 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

He wore it until Lurie made them switch. I forget what number he eventually had. 

Not possible. Glitch in the Matrix. B-)

37 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Lol 😂

I'm dying

Give that dude some brown hair and it looks just like me 20+ years ago knocking doors spreading the good news😁

How did I end up here 🤔

If you knocked on my door, I would have told you I am a pagan and would rather spend eternity in Valhalla with a bunch of drunken Vikings than with a bunch of __________ (fill in the blank for whatever religion was being pushed).

9 minutes ago, hputenis said:

You guys ever seen House of 1000 Corpses?  Man it’s f’d up!!  

For more tips and tricks, please feel free to visit the "Horror Movie Thread” only a few clicks away. 30 pages and counting!  

shutup

12 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Depends on the definition of "woke”.  Given the experience that you have had in academia, I certainly understand your position.  I am old school ACLU where we defended the right of NSDAPs to march and free speech rights for material we might find offensive.   I was watching Bill Maher the other night where he talked about a college course on offensive language being cancelled because the course included offensive language. That is where "woke” crosses the line.  "The party on the left is now the party on the right” , Pete Townsend had it right.  But that also doesn’t mean being silent to offensive words.  As "woke pillars” was used,  it is every bit an attempt to bully his point of view as the "woke” you encounter in academia.  Anti libertarian is the same whichever direction you lean.  

My intent was not defend the way "woke pillars" was used. My intent was to point out the term "woke" is not without meaning.

I recognize that the far right are exploiting the term, but that does not alter its meaning in serious discussion.

I used to be a card-carrying member of the ACLU. Have you seen where an ACLU lawyer, Chase Stangio, has called for the banning of a book?

53 minutes ago, mattwill said:

That is the story of 4for4EaglesNest's life.

ahhh....Farmer Ted our room troll. His pronouns are we/our/us. He tries so hard to be the coolest guy in here, but he is still just King of the Dips****.

10 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

I didn't tar you with anything - I didn't even mention you.

If anything, you self-identified.

I was the one being called woke.

4for4 called me woke then called just relax woke and a pillar 

His response was in direct response to what 4for4 said to me.

Then you interjected 

This mcwharton guy makes some good points and some flawed ones.

There are plenty of other academics that disagree with him do you also take their opinions Into account?

Maybe he should stay out politics and stick with linguistics...

13 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Peter Dinklage doesn't compensate.

GOT Star Peter Dinklage & Wife Expecting Second Child - E! Online

Are you sure that's not downundermike...he is short too

52 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Woke is a shallow term. It’s code for the Cruz and Taylor Green sorts but it has no intrinsic meaning.

Woke is for leftists…

2 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I was the one being called woke.  Not by me

4for4 called me woke then called just relax woke and a pillar  I did not respond to that

His response was in direct response to what 4for4 said to me. Mine was not

Then you interjected  I was talking to JR

This mcwharton guy makes some good points and some flawed ones.

There are plenty of other academics that disagree with him do you also take their opinions Into account?

Maybe he should stay out politics and stick with linguistics...

11 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

If you knocked on my door, I would have told you I am a pagan and would rather spend eternity in Valhalla with a bunch of drunken Vikings than with a bunch of __________ (fill in the blank for whatever religion was being pushed).

Believe me you wouldn't have been the first to tell me that.

I met a lady who had about 100 different triangles in her house and told us all about the power of 3.

Met another dude who told me he was a tree in his former life.

Some people would come to the door completely naked just to mess with us.

Another guy told how Jesus was an alien and came down in a space ship 

Had others say prayers for us and bless the devils out of us.

Good times lots of fun memories from that time in my life. to each their own I say.

36 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Want to call me woke go for it, I'd rather be woke than blissfully ignorant. Nor does it have anything to do with denying  enlightenment science or free speech.

Majority of " woke" people are pro free speech , pro science pro enlightenment. calling the progressive lefts tactics authoritarian is a mein Kampf tactic where one accuses the other side , of what one is already guilty of.

Like the left accusing others of every ism under the sun?

Archived