EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I still remember being at the Cliff Lee blows a 4-0 lead against the Cardinals game. It was awful. Every Phillies fan just stood there in disbelief or started leaving. 

The 2011 run was the one that bothers me the most. Like 2009 unless hamels and lidge regained their 2008 form it was going to be hard to win that series against the Yankees. The 2010 season, i thought they were dumb to trade Lee away in that Halladay deal. Just go all out for it and see if Lee would re-sign at the end of the year. Hey wanted to try and replenish some of the farm they were giving up. But really everyone knew when Howard, utley, halladay and rollins went it was a complete tear down. Frankly they waited way too long to start it. Imo the giants rotation was pretty damn good. The 2011 they were the best team. Maybe the best collection of talent the Phillies have had in their history with the lineup they had and halladay, oswalt, Lee and hamels. That one stung the most. The next year it just unraveled completely and it was over.  

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

The Matt Stairs homerun was unbelievable. Werth and Rollins were my guys.  Ever since I was a kid I just loved short, quick short stops.  When jimmy came around you just knew he had it.  Even when he was wearing Howard's #6 you could see the potential with him. 

Someone on eBay was actually selling rollins #6 gamer from when he first got called up. That’s a collectors piece. It was actually relatively cheap. 

2 hours ago, aptosbird said:

Are you sure that's not downundermike...he is short too

Mike is standing on a chair taking the picture 

Generally, the longer you let peppers ripen, the sweeter and less hot they become 

And there are yellow, orange, and red varieties. 

4 hours ago, Utebird said:

Translation: I have a small pee pee and am threatened by strong women.

Yup me too, I've learned quite a bit over the years from various posters about food.

spacer.png

I feel like mlb should have the llws champ play the major league champion. Like South Park cows facing the red wings. what a treat for those little leaguers 

Was reading about Ugo Amadi…

* He has a base salary of $2.54M. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t rework the contract if he makes the team. 

* He mostly played a lot in Seattle but Carroll supposedly wants to play more man coverage and Amadi is a zone guy.

* And this…

5 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Was reading about Ugo Amadi…

* He has a base salary of $2.54M. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t rework the contract if he makes the team. 

* He mostly played a lot in Seattle but Carroll supposedly wants to play more man coverage and Amadi is a zone guy.

* And this…

I'd assume maybe Blackwell is cut tomorrow.  Maybe this guy can make the practice squad. or maybe they see him as a special teams roster lock since coverage looked so bad the other night. 

I’m no QB guru but this just looks awkward. Why is he lifting his right leg so high on the delivery?

He just looks off balance. Not to mention his throwing motion. That’s a topic that’s been beat to death.

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Cliff Lee was so damn good.  While he wasn't one of the best ever, Jim Thome did so much for bringing this team to the next level.  He was a treat to watch.

Unpopular opinion...Lee is remembered as that because of Hamels' down year after the WS.  The trade for Roy was a no brainer, Roy was one of the best to ever pitch in his prime.  Lee was an awesome, down to earth blue collar dude but Roy H > Hamels > Lee.  Lee was so inconsistent at the height of that triple headed monster rotation.  Dialed in Lee was great, don't get me wrong.  If not for the perfect game overshadowing the rest of the staff, Hamels should have finished 2 in Cy Young that year.  Hamels didn't get enough credit for how good he was for long stretches.  Ya he was good to give up a solo homer just about every game, but he was the worst victim of the feast or famine bats of that time.

Popular and not oft spoken opinion, Hamels' final game as a Phil is the most deserving Phillies single game accomplishment of modern era.

27 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Unpopular opinion...Lee is remembered as that because of Hamels' down year after the WS.  The trade for Roy was a no brainer, Roy was one of the best to ever pitch in his prime.  Lee was an awesome, down to earth blue collar dude but Roy H > Hamels > Lee.  Lee was so inconsistent at the height of that triple headed monster rotation.  Dialed in Lee was great, don't get me wrong.  If not for the perfect game overshadowing the rest of the staff, Hamels should have finished 2 in Cy Young that year.  Hamels didn't get enough credit for how good he was for long stretches.  Ya he was good to give up a solo homer just about every game, but he was the worst victim of the feast or famine bats of that time.

Popular and not oft spoken opinion, Hamels' final game as a Phil is the most deserving Phillies single game accomplishment of modern era.

Idk cliff was pretty good here. Until really his last season here where he had his worse season at 3.65 ERA. For his career with the Phillies he had a 2.94 ERA in 5 years. He had 12 complete games, 8 complete game shutouts and 2 all star appearances. He had era under 3.00 in 2 of the 5 years.

Hamels was also really good as he had a 3.30 ERA, 14 complete games and 7 complete game shutouts, 3 all star appearances in 10 years. Hamels had an era under 3.00 in 2 of his 10 years.

Cliff Lee in 2011 was lights out. 17-8 with a 2.40 ERA, 238 Ks and 6 complete game shutouts. Hamels was also great that year too. 

both had games in postseason where they had issues but for the most part both were great. Lee was 8-3 with 2.52 ERA and 89 Ks. Hamels was 9-4 with a 3.09 ERA. Hamels best playoff performance was 2008. Lee was 2009. They are super similar except one ended in a title and the other didn’t. Hamels in 08: 5-0 1.80 ERA and 30Ks. Lee in 09: 5-0 1.56 ERA and 33 Ks

imo hamels had a better overall career cause he was able to last longer at a high level than Lee. But Lee in his peak i think was better overall pitcher. 

25 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Idk cliff was pretty good here. Until really his last season here where he had his worse season at 3.65 ERA. For his career with the Phillies he had a 2.94 ERA in 5 years. He had 12 complete games, 8 complete game shutouts and 2 all star appearances. He had era under 3.00 in 2 of the 5 years.

Hamels was also really good as he had a 3.30 ERA, 14 complete games and 7 complete game shutouts, 3 all star appearances in 10 years. Hamels had an era under 3.00 in 2 of his 10 years.

Cliff Lee in 2011 was lights out. 17-8 with a 2.40 ERA, 238 Ks and 6 complete game shutouts. Hamels was also great that year too. 

both had games in postseason where they had issues but for the most part both were great. Lee was 8-3 with 2.52 ERA and 89 Ks. Hamels was 9-4 with a 3.09 ERA. Hamels best playoff performance was 2008. Lee was 2009. They are super similar except one ended in a title and the other didn’t. Hamels in 08: 5-0 1.80 ERA and 30Ks. Lee in 09: 5-0 1.56 ERA and 33 Ks

imo hamels had a better overall career cause he was able to last longer at a high level than Lee. But Lee in his peak i think was better overall pitcher. 

Peak Lee def was a better pitcher, but he was prone to being a lot streakier.  Granted we were spoiled at the time so we're almost splitting hairs.

22 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Peak Lee def was a better pitcher, but he was prone to being a lot streakier.  Granted we were spoiled at the time so we're almost splitting hairs.

I’d argue greatest era of Phillies baseball. Only the late 70s/early 80s rivals it. An underrated event of that time was the marathon game where oswalt had to play LF. 

8 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Defining leftists or liberals is like defining "conservative”.  A twice divorced, adulterer that golfs rather than going to church is a "conservative”, for example?  Crappy labels that rarely fit anyone.  I was watching the news and some bozo in Wyoming, who claims to follow politics, said Liz Cheney votes with the Democrats too much.  Fool doesn’t realize that all that public land that Wyoming’s forest industry logs, Wyoming’s ranchers graze and Wyoming’s tourist industry depends on, Hageman wants to sell to private interests that she represents. Liz Cheney has a near perfect "conservative” voting record.  Labels rarely fit.  

Disagree

people are not that complicated and are pretty easily categorized based on thought patterns and priorities. 

but people dont like to be labelled themselves, likely not wanting to se how simple they really are. So they argue semantics.

7 hours ago, mattwill said:

Actually woke is for rightists.  Most leftists see no meaning to the term.

Nope but thanks for playing

woke came from the left. The right just uses it as  insult to the leftist trump thinking. Bc its pretty absurd

8 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Tbh harper might be the best position player phillie I’ve seen in my lifetime and if he’s not he’s top 3. I’m too young to have caught Schmidt in his prime. I began really getting into baseball in 1991 (Phillies only made the postseason 1 time in the first 23 years of my life lol). just best Phillies I’ve seen in my lifetime (really 91 onward) gotta be some order of halladay, Howard and harper. With utley, cliff Lee and hamels right after them. But utley and harper are my two favorite players. 

You don't remember Danny Tartabull?

8 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Thome was such a great guy and did do a nice job helping usher in the next generation. It sucks for him cause he becomes a little bit of an afterthought cause of the impact Howard had right after him. 

No worries.  They have a statue of him in Cleveland.  He gets plenty of love.

8 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I’d like to know how Rico Brogna is left out of the conversation.   

Nah, Travis Lee was clearly better.

Guest justrelax
9 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Lemongrass?

No. There's a good Asian market at 4th and Spring Garden that carries fresh lemongrass. I get it there. Whole Foods and Wegman's carry lemongrass but it tends to be old and tired. That market also carries daikon as big as your leg.

37 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

No worries.  They have a statue of him in Cleveland.  He gets plenty of love.

I should’ve been more specific in saying Phillies fans. Cleveland loves and shows him a ton of love. 

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I should’ve been more specific in saying Phillies fans. Cleveland loves and shows him a ton of love. 

Does any Philly athlete have a letter like Chase Utley got? Don't think so, case closed.

Roy Halladay channels Mac from 'It's Always Sunny' in Twitter fan letter to Chase  Utley

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

As they should, his best years were there.

ps.  I have loads of tomatoes growing in the garden, much to the chagrin of friends and family as none of theirs have grown or those that have, aren't ripening. Bit sick of them now if I am being honest, but far better than store bought.

Archived