EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bradberry and AJ Brown are why we should beat all of these sorry NFCE teams

Those two guys have transformed our team into complete units.

In previous years we had to pick our poison on defense, now we can just line up and play.

Same on offense with Brown. He prevents teams from making us one dimensional.

I dont see any reason to lose to these teams other than the Eagles making mistakes

Guaranteed the Cowboys are just going to blitz the F out of Hurts.  Its their only shot. 

The Giants are not a serious team.  Theyll collapse now.  

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah.  That is on brand for the whole bunch of them.  

everyone in here is always up for a good debate. mattwill is the one who seems to purposely choose the wrong side of a very obvious argument and will argue it till everyone is exhausted. 

Giants losing Sterling Shepard just makes that offense that much worse. If you can stop Saquon then they should hardly ever score more than 14 points.

5 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

everyone in here is always up for a good debate. mattwill is the one who seems to purposely choose the wrong side of a very obvious argument and will argue it till everyone is exhausted. 

Oh, he's gonna argue this with you

Just noticed Jalen Pitre had a big game last week, a sack and 2 INTs. He's a guy I really wanted in the draft. 

Also Deandre Swift injured again. Man, he's really good but just can't stay healthy

5 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The FrancH1se 

Formula = pay him what looks like insane money, but be able to bail out without much consequence at any time....the Howie roseman story 

48 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Other than the reason that sweeping the division is no easy feat.  The Eagles were clearly the better team than the Giants last year, but still dropped a game to them.  Dallas might be a very different team by the time the Eagles meet them for Game 2... maybe even Game 1.  

"That's why they play the games." 

Division games are always tough.  Dallas does have a very good defense. The Giants appear to be at least coached better.  Wentz was a mess on Sunday but they were able to move the ball at times.  I don't expect the Eagles to sweep.  

33 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Just saw this tidbit in an article from The Ringer about TLaw:

After three games, Lawrence is tied for the league’s lowest sack rate at 1.8 percent. The play-calling has insulated him from some hits, but his quick reaction to pressure is really the secret sauce here. The 22-year-old has been sacked on just 6.3 percent of his pressured dropbacks, the third-lowest mark in the league behind only Patrick Mahomes and Justin Herbert, according to TruMedia. 

They also noted last week he had a career low 2.39 seconds for time to throw. Our defensive rate is 9th in the league at 2.7 seconds for time to pressure (also gleaned from the same article). 

Gannon better crank up that blitz rate this week, or TLaw might be able to actually do damage. 

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/9/26/23373022/nfl-2022-new-contenders-jacksonville-jaguars-miami-dolphins-philadelphia-eagles

I think the Eagles will be able to match up pretty well with the WRs in man coverage.  I think the problem will be the RBs in coverage and possibly Engram.  Lawrence looks really good for them at this point.  

53 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I think they come out today and I wouldnt be shocked if some have the Eagles 4th or 5th. 

CBS sports has us #1 lol

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

The Ringer has us 7th

7th? What 7 teams are better than us right now? It is early days and a lot can change but still. 

Industry Power Rankings:

NFL.com

1) Philadelphia's a big green wrecking machine right now. Jalen Hurts and the Eagles' offense have been showing out since the season opener in Detroit, but now Nick Sirianni's defense has announced its arrival with a dominant nine-sack performance against the Commanders and old friend Carson Wentz. What's the most pressing "problem" for the undefeated Iggles? DeVonta Smith was so dominant on Sunday (156 yards in the first half alone), it calls into question whether A.J. Brown is the team's true No. 1 receiver. "By the eyes, he might be a little slight, but he plays like a big boy," Hurts said of Smith. "He's a guy, when his number's called, I know he'll answer the phone."

USA Today

1) Eagles: During the offseason, they upgraded a playoff-caliber roster while concurrently creating an environment to test Jalen Hurts and determine whether or not he's a franchise quarterback. So far, appears he's precisely that – and Philadelphia has played like the class of the NFC, improving to 3-0 on the heels of two dominant performances and seemingly setting up to make a run at a No. 1 postseason seed.

Yahoo Sports

2) If you're dismissing the Eagles defense for playing "only" the Vikings and Commanders the last two weeks, go check what those two offenses did in their games that weren't against the Eagles. Philadelphia's defense is good. I'm bumping the Eagles way up because I was too conservative on them before. I kept seeing a team that had Super Bowl upside but didn't act on that enough in these power rankings. That has been corrected.

NBC Sports

1) The Eagles are a wagon rolling over everyone in their path.

ESPN

3) Jalen Hurts is one of the early favorites to be league MVP. His production on the ground remains strong -- he ranks second among quarterbacks in rushing yards (167) and first in rushing touchdowns (three) -- but it's his improvement as a passer that has put the NFC on notice. Hurts is completing 67.3% of his passes, compared with his career average of 60%. He ranks third in passing yards (916) and is sixth in QBR (74.8). His standout play is the No. 1 reason the Eagles are 3-0.

Bleacher Report

2) The Philadelphia Eagles are rolling. It isn't just that the Eagles are the NFC's only remaining undefeated team. Or that after blasting the Washington Commanders on Sunday, the Eagles have won their last two games in blowout fashion. It's the way they are winning. Quarterback Jalen Hurts looks like an MVP candidate after becoming the first player in NFL history to throw for 900 yards and run for 150 yards over the first three games of the season. Wide receivers A.J. Brown and DeVonta Smith have been a lethal combination. Philly's offensive line might be the NFL's best.

Defensively, the Eagles rank among the top 10 leaguewide in both yards and points allowed. The Eagles sacked Carson Wentz a whopping nine times Sunday. And Darius Slay and James Bradberry are one of the NFL's best one-two punches at cornerback. "The Eagles are the most complete team in the NFC," Davenport said. "They may be the most complete team in the entire NFL. Hurts has taken a massive step forward as a passer. Skill-position talent. Offensive line. Defensive line. Secondary. You name it, the Eagles have it.

"It isn't a surprise that the Eagles are good. But anyone who says they thought Philly would be the NFC's best team three weeks into the season is either psychic or full of it."

CBS Sports

1) Jalen Hurts has carried this team to a 3-0 start. His ability to run and pass makes it a real challenge to defend this offense. The Jaguars defense will be a challenge this week

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

7th? What 7 teams are better than us right now? It is early days and a lot can change but still. 

They have, in order, Buffalo, KC, GB, TB, Baltimore and Miami ahead of us

4 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

First. Just because his hands are on the ball doesn’t mean he has possession.   The video clearly shows that.  I thought you were smarter than this.  Secondly, the second picture you provided doesn’t show his foot on the ground because it’s blocked out by the defenders foot.  You’re desperately reaching on this.  Watch the video again.  He has to gather the ball after the left foot is off the ground.  Pretty obvious 

Now I understand why our opinions differ.  You appear to believe that gathering the ball must be completed at the time of the foot touches.  I believe it simply needs to have started at the time of the foot touches.  You may be right, but I don't think you are.

Your "blocked by the defenders foot" comment is just silly ... and you know it.  Go into your bathroom and try and say that argument to yourself while looking at the mirror.  You won't be able to keep a straight face. 

9 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

CBS sports has us #1 lol

Yahoo had the Eagles at #2.   (Not that I usually check yahoo sports, but it was in my feed this morning)

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

6 teams...   
I'd easily consider the Bills, Chiefs and Chargers ahead of the Eagles.  An argument could be made that the Dolphins' 3 wins were more 'quality' than the Eagles' 3 wins.  GB could be above the Eagles.  Bucs would be another to consider... until proven otherwise.  That's 6.  Putting the Eagles 7th.  

Power Rankings isn't the same as standings.  And it is all about the opinions of the authors.  Power Rankings are even less meaningful than the AP or Coaches Poll in the NCAA.  

5 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

They have, in order, Buffalo, KC, GB, TB, Baltimore and Miami ahead of us

I can see that.  

2 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

A single picture cannot establish 'possession', as this doesn't rule out the 'bobble'.  It establishes that his left foot is down while touching the ball, but it doesn't establish control.

Agreed, but 4for4's argument was that the left foot had left the turf prior to any possible catch being made.  The screenshot (from his own referenced video) clearly shows that the foot was on the ground when the catch was initiated.  Your point about a possible bobble is not going to be definitively be determined by a single still picture in this case. 

6 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Now I understand why our opinions differ.  You appear to believe that gathering the ball must be completed at the time of the foot touches.  I believe it simply needs to have started at the time of the foot touches.  You may be right, but I don't think you are.

Your "blocked by the defenders foot comment is just silly ... and you know it.  Go into your bathroom and try and say that argument to yourself while looking at the mirror.  You won't be able to keep a straight face. 

The ball has to be secured, and then two feet.  If the securing and the feet happens simultaneously that's fine.  But if the feet are before the securing of the ball, then they don't count.  

2 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Agreed, but 4for4's argument was that the left foot had left the turf prior to any possible catch being made.  The screenshot (from his own referenced video) clearly shows that the foot was on the ground when the catch was initiated.  Your point about a possible bobble is not going to be definitively be determined by a single still picture in this case. 

Of course not, which is why the reverse angle that the TV feed offered after the timeout was the more definitive look.  And to my eyes, the ball was clearly moving until after the left foot left the ground.  It never came back down in bounds.  Incomplete pass.  The call on the field is the determining factor on this one.  I will concede that it might have stood if challenged, because it was called a catch on the field.  However, had the initial call gone the other way, I don't see how if it had been ruled incomplete on the field that it could have been overturned if challenged.  Nothing conclusive to overturn an incomplete call.

A second still doesn't prove the ball didn't move (which I believe it clearly did) between pictures.   His hands are now in a different position on the ball than in the first picture, and he's barely got it in his fingers.  The ball has rotated in his hands from where it began.  If anything, this seems to be proving that the ball was indeed bobbled between picture 1 & 2, and shows that the left foot is off the ground.  And we know once that foot came up, it never came back down inbounds.

I respectfully disagree.  Every successfully caught ball arrives at the receiver's hands with velocity, sometimes considerable velocity, which the receiver reduces down to zero in the process of making the catch.  The expressions "soft hands" and "hands of stone" exist because the best pass catchers know how to cradle the ball as it arrives with velocity and absorb that velocity.  The movement of the hands from picture 1 to picture 2 is, in my opinion, simply that cradling process at work.  Your opinion is different.  Reasonable people can agree to differ reasonably.  That is what 4for4 and you and I appear to be doing.  So far no scorpions, but it is early yet.  😂 

Anyone who has been to a game in person knows that you can't see something like that from the stands.  Even the officials on the field miss things.   The people with the best vantage point for that are the ones at home, because they have the replays shown to them from various camera angles, if the broadcast team is doing their job correctly.

You clearly didn't recognize the tongue firmly planted in my cheek. 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I refuse to believe the Dolphins are better than Philly.  

But...but...they handed us our only ever defeat in joint practice😱

A single picture cannot establish 'possession', as this doesn't rule out the 'bobble'.  It establishes that his left foot is down while touching the ball, but it doesn't establish control.

I don’t think there was a bobble, rather deliberate movement to secure the ball to the ground that he knew was coming.  Called a completed pass.  Not sure there was sufficient evidence to overturn.  Brilliant of Hurts and Shane to get the play off before Rivera threw the challenge flag.  Because of that alone, it is a catch.  Poor performance by Rivera.  His challenge flag technique was pretty bad. 

Archived