EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

6 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

8D9834E9-3FBC-4899-BC4C-9E78CCAA8187.thumb.jpeg.c39fc31c71a1cec46ac40cec5a3bdeb9.jpeg

He’s only 386 yards away from passing jalen Reagor 

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Watching the game I was wondering acouple times if WRs weren't mking the hot adjustments or hurts wasnt seeing them.

From this film seems those hots aren't even built in,which seems really odd.🤷‍♂️

Yup, even near the goal line we didn't have a quick option for him. I guess the thinking is that he can create time with his legs, so sending everyone out on routes creates a favorable matchup even with the defense sending pressure.

4 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

And his int at the end of the game was cause the giants wide receiver slipped running the route. 

2 hours ago, Penn7980 said:

Not sure if Covey has earned his roster spot yet, based on his performance as a PS activation in 3 games.  In fact, he may get cut if he does not get promoted. 

Ward is a possibility but the comments here do not sound promising.  Guess if there is no better option, Ward could be a stand-in for this season.  Obviously, we can't expected a lot from him in terms of yardage and field position.  Just field the punts and not cough up the football are about all for him to do. 

Eagles put Ward on season ending (for the Eagles) injured reserve. Indications were they planned to release him with an injury settlement but they cannot bring him back.

1 hour ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

It's not new news that our return game sucks.

But we are second-worst in starting field position.  

Tryout Tuesday.  One can hope Howie is shopping for a RS.

32 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

You truly think Lawrence is putting up 5 scoring drives with Kirk/Jones/Jones against Slay/Bradberry/Maddox? I just don't see it.

@LeanMeanGM Eagles 27, Jagoffs 20

Bonus: Jordan Davis has 2+ TFL

Hey! No prediction shaming.

Guest justrelax

On their first play from scrimmage the Eagles ran a counter-trey. Too bad Dickerson whiffed on his block because the play would have gone for big yardage.

Shows me that Stoutland has a sense of humor, running their signature play against Washington.

1 hour ago, justrelax said:

I don't agree. He gets what's there and he heads upfield. The hits have been brutal but running sideways does nothing.

I am not convinced they are setting up for blocking the return on punts rather than aggressively rushing the punter, at least the last two games.  

Guest justrelax
Just now, BigEFly said:

I am not convinced they are setting up for blocking the return on punts rather than aggressively rushing the punter, at least the last two games.  

Could be. I'll take a closer look.

2 hours ago, NCiggles said:

The Eagles were better than the Commanders in getting the next play called.  I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if the catch was or wasn't over turned in a replay.  The rule doesn't say secure it says control of the football. The rule specifies that movement of the ball doesn't mean that the player doesn't have control.   So if it was called a catch you would have to show that the movement showed a lack of control.  This is the rule:

ARTICLE 3. COMPLETED OR INTERCEPTED PASS. A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) in the field of play, at the sideline, or in the end zone if a player, who is inbounds:

(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and (c) after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so.

Notes: (1) Movement of the ball does not automatically result in loss of control

I agree... movement of the ball does not automatically result in loss of control.  But, loss of control does.  

You'll note section (a) mentions 'secures control'... which is what I meant.  

I agree that it would have been a tough call to overturn because it was called a catch.  IMO, it would have been impossible to overturn had it been called incomplete.  Overall, it doesn't matter though.  It was ruled a catch and there was no challenge.  Therefore, it stands as a catch and a nice chunk play.

Most interesting to me was the number of chunk play attempts by the Eagles in that game.  Hurts got the ball out quicker on those long throws, which makes them 'shorter' and allows him to get the ball there without needing the rifle of some others.  That is very encouraging to see.  He was still short arming a few of those throws, but underthrows on deep passes are often times a good thing... especially with receivers like Brown and Smith who are willing to go up and fight for the catch.  Underthrows to the likes of JJAW or Reagor are always bad, because they don't track the ball well enough to adjust and don't have it within them to fight for it.... which is weird, because in college JJAW and Reagor actually both did that.  In the pros... not at all.   It seems like they were willing/able to do it against the much weaker competition they each faced in the PAC-12 and Big-12 respectively.  By comparison, Brown and Smith were doing it in college against SEC opponents.  Warning for the future with drafting WRs... beware the level of competition faced.  When it comes down to two players at the same position... going SEC is almost always going to result in a good outcome, even if its not the 'best' outcome.  JJAW or Metcalf?  Metcalf.  Reagor or Jefferson?  Jefferson.  I wonder how it works across all positions?

6 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

In the last game, I noticed Pascal dropping back to a  'protector' type position for the punt returns.  I didn't focus on the other 9 guys though and whether they had 2 men on the gunners or just one.

2 hours ago, Eagle1ne said:

What did he yell after "but now..."?

he said "I loveee yalllll chhhhaaaaa baaa"

1 hour ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

KOR is the real problem.

Yeah, but I kinda like it when we're only having to field kickoffs about once or twice a game. 

@LeanMeanGM

Eagles 31-jags 16

Defense gets 2 turnovers. 

I'm thinking INTs but will take fumbles.  Just like going with the disruptive defense predictions.

If I had stayed with Goedert for a 20 yard TD from 2 weeks ago, I would have had it last game. 

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

They changed the return game scheme against Washington and definitely designed more blocking to aid the return game. Unfortunately Tress Way is a great punter. Even so, the Eagles still had three [edit -- actually four] punt returns of more than ten yards, which is good all things considered. 

4 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Yeah, but I kinda like it when we're only having to field kickoffs about once or twice a game. 

You take all the fun out of criticizing a 3-0 team. :nonono:

45 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

In the last game, I noticed Pascal dropping back to a  'protector' type position for the punt returns.  I didn't focus on the other 9 guys though and whether they had 2 men on the gunners or just one.

Two on the one, with the other gunner being manned up alone. Paschal dropped back to try to neutralize the guy who was 1-on-1.

Some thoughts after watching the all 22.

Kyzir White isn't great against the run, but he is really good in pass coverage. On at least two sacks Wentz wanted to go to the guy he was covering, and had to pull it down since he was all over his man. He gave up a few completions, but was right there to make the tackle and limit YAC.

Miles Sanders had one run where he had a convoy of blockers but cut right back into a waiting LB. I think he just makes bad decisions at times that leaves yards on the table. He did have a nice run when Hurts was under center, and I would like to see more of that. I think he is best when he can hit a defined hole with pace instead of trying to read blocks.

Jason Kelce missed a block on a designed run by Hurts from an empty set that would have been an easy TD. It was on the ill-fated Pascal jet sweep drive, so it took some points off the board. It was surprising since he rarely misses on those.

Marlon Tuipulotu really surprised me. He had one play where he beat the guard and made a nice run stop. He and Davis both had a nice game. Patrick Johnson was credited for two qb hits, but has a lot of reps where he just gets swallowed up by the tackle.

I though AJ Brown gave up on a deep ball in the second half that looked catchable. It literally looks like the ball lands at his feet, and if he just put his arms out, he catches it. Brown also committed a clear OPI on a completion to Pascal, but it wasn't called. Just ran straight into the defender.

Opeta was terrible. He whiffed on a block that led to a tackle for a loss and he and Mailata looked lost on the stunt that led to a sack that knocked them out of field goal range. Mailata also got pushed into the running lane by a linebacker on a third and short play in the second half, which wrecked a run by Gainwell. Hopefully Dickerson isn't banged up too badly.

Overall, we looked bad in the second half on offense. Hurts missed a few throws, the line wasn't great and we seemed content to just run out the clock and get home. The defense was playing at full tilt, however. On a Wentz scramble near the goal line, a DT (I think Hargrave) went running after him like he would win the lottery if he tackled him. It was nice to see that effort when he could have easily given up.

Archived