EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

6 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Yeah that's fair. I guess the biggest issue I have is punt returns in general are such low percentage plays, with what feels like a much higher chance of injury to a critical piece of our offense. 

I don't think that it actually is a much higher chance of injury.  Returners are taught to fair catch unless they have space to make a clean catch and get moving.  So, there should be no hit on a 'defenseless' player.  And then its not that much different than any other play, and especially similar to a WR screen.  

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, justrelax said:

I'm a big fan of the Instapot. I also cheat in my chicken stock by adding some Better Than Bouillon.

Trader Joes has bullion packets that are quite good.

36 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

First time I really remember anyone doing that was us and Brian Westbrook and then we did it again towards the middle of Djax career

If my memory is not failing me Bobby Mitchell was used that way by the Browns.

EDIT: ProFootballReference shows him with 69 PRs for 699 yards

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I don't think that it actually is a much higher chance of injury.  Returners are taught to fair catch unless they have space to make a clean catch and get moving.  So, there should be no hit on a 'defenseless' player.  And then its not that much different than any other play, and especially similar to a WR screen.  

More of a frequency issue I suppose. It's likely much ado about nothing, just not my preference. 

34 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The Instapot is the greatest thing for making stocks.   I now buy whole chickens all the time and butcher them down to make stock.  It is more economical, and more importantly, the stock you get is far better than anything in the stores.  Mine is always very gelatinous, like I want it.   The store bought stuff is always the thickness of water.     I also reduce the stock down so that it thickens up extra and freeze it in cubes to be used in sauces in the future as needed.

Do you crack open the leg bones before putting them into the pot?  That way the marrow comes out into the stock providing a natural gelatin.  Also do you pre-fry chicken wings in a cast iron skillet before starting the stock pot?  Cooking those wings to a crisp dark brown (almost) black, and then adding them to the stock pot deepens the flavor of the stock.

Guest justrelax
32 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

What is the sodium content in that?   

The Instapot is the greatest thing for making stocks.   I now buy whole chickens all the time and butcher them down to make stock.  It is more economical, and more importantly, the stock you get is far better than anything in the stores.  Mine is always very gelatinous, like I want it.   The store bought stuff is always the thickness of water.     I also reduce the stock down so that it thickens up extra and freeze it in cubes to be used in sauces in the future as needed.

680 mg per tsp, which is all I use of it.

I regularly spatchcock and roast a chicken in my Lodge pan. The second joint of the wings and the backbones are not roasted. I save everything we don’t eat in two meals and when I have the remnants of three chickens, including the giblets backbones, etc. I make stock. I add the onion, carrots, and celery. It doesn’t get as gelatinous as yours because the carcasses have been roasted and there’s less collagen. That’s OK because I make chicken noodle soup with it.

17 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I sous vide breats for my gf currently. sear it off on my blackstone for her lunches each week.

Also use my SV to make moonshine...or infused liquor. 

I did a Turkey(small one) for thanksgiving and it turned out pretty good. But I learned if I turn my Pitt boss into Hot as F*** at the end of the cook to get the skin crispy. 

But as you mentioned, I've all but given up on the white chicken. (racist). 

Side note, Dark meat on the blackstone will give you that chipotle/pancharros/etc taste that my gf also loves

One trick I use in the oven (I'm too lazy to have a smoker or barbeque outdoors) is to start the chicken/turkey upside down so that the skin on the backbone side of the bird crisps up, and then turn the bird over into the normal roasting position.

12 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Do you crack open the leg bones before putting them into the pot?  That way the marrow comes out into the stock providing a natural gelatin.  Also do you pre-fry chicken wings in a cast iron skillet before starting the stock pot?  Cooking those wings to a crisp dark brown (almost) black, and then adding them to the stock pot deepens the flavor of the stock.

Many times I don't even use the legs for poultry.   Just the backbone and ribs pieces.   If I am deboning the thighs, I will toss them in, but never break them.

I generally roast the bones - because I buy whole birds and butcher them at home to get the pieces I want.  Then, I pour any drippings into the Instapot with the water and the bones.  

16 minutes ago, mattwill said:

One trick I use in the oven (I'm too lazy to have a smoker or barbeque outdoors) is to start the chicken/turkey upside down so that the skin on the backbone side of the bird crisps up, and then turn the bird over into the normal roasting position.

If its about the work of a smoker... get yourself one of the new pellet smokers.  No work to it... other than cleaning it.  

Thought I would stop by and say hello to my old friends/blog mates. I hope all is well with you all. I can't believe what I'm seeing from Hurts so far this year. His passing is vastly improved and he doesn't seem to want to take off all the time now. Maybe just maybe I may have been wrong in my assessment of him. Lurie however is still a clown. Anyhow hope you're all doing great I'll check back from time to time. God bless you all!

1 minute ago, greend said:

Thought I would stop by and say hello to my old friends/blog mates. I hope all is well with you all. I can't believe what I'm seeing from Hurts so far this year. His passing is vastly improved and he doesn't seem to want to take off all the time now. Maybe just maybe I may have been wrong in my assessment of him. Lurie however is still a clown. Anyhow hope you're all doing great I'll check back from time to time. God bless you all!

Good to hear from you friend, keep well!

6 minutes ago, greend said:

good to see you

Thoughts on the Saints' remaining schedule?

Right now, I can only see them favored against the Seahawks, Raiders, Falcons, and Panthers.  They may have a chance against the Bengals and Steelers.  They are headed towards a sub-500 season.

image.png.d8a246afaf3b89fe6e7302e7e551e039.png

8 minutes ago, greend said:

spacer.png

17 hours ago, Doc S. said:

Pics required of our Seniors rockin the Eagles Gear....Mom and Grt Grandaughter. Westy...her Fav.

Wow.  Granny playing favorites.  I hope the other great grandkids don't read the blog!  

17 minutes ago, greend said:

Nice to hear from you. Hope all is well on your end buddy. Take care.

14 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Right now, I can only see them favored against the Seahawks, Raiders, Falcons, and Panthers.  They may have a chance against the Bengals and Steelers.  They are headed towards a sub-500 season.

I thought they’d be around 8 to 9 wins before the season. But Winston having a back fracture, kamara having cracked ribs, Thomas and landry are both hurt now seems like getting to 6 wins maybe a challenge for them. Olave feels like the only part of that offense that’s healthy and playing to his talent level. Their defense has gotten better each week (Carolina’s defense had a fumble return for a touchdown) which doesn’t surprise me as they have a defensive minded coach and i still think that was always going to be the strength of their team. 

24 minutes ago, greend said:

Hey buddy.   Good to see you around these parts.    Before jogging off again, toss out your favorite recipe for some game that you've hunted.  

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I thought they’d be around 8 to 9 wins before the season. But Winston having a back fracture, kamara having cracked ribs, Thomas and landry are both hurt now seems like getting to 6 wins maybe a challenge for them. Olave feels like the only part of that offense that’s healthy and playing to his talent level. Their defense has gotten better each week (Carolina’s defense had a fumble return for a touchdown) which doesn’t surprise me as they have a defensive minded coach and i still think that was always going to be the strength of their team. 

Hurts maintaining this level of play, while having a top 5ish pick and whatever pick we end up with (31!) would do a lot for this team. Will Anderson Jr and the best secondary player available with our other first.

26 minutes ago, greend said:

Good to see you.

Dont try to Corleone us (new meaning, ie. quitting the boards). Not cool.

Lurie benefits nothing from you posting on these boards. These are our boards. Lurie wanted you on Reddit. Stick it to the man and post here. 

You can even post and desk pop from time to time to really stick it to him. 

Desk Pop GIFs | Tenor

17 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

1 minute ago, Swoop said:

Hurts maintaining this level of play, while having a top 5ish pick and whatever pick we end up with (31!) would do a lot for this team. Will Anderson Jr and the best secondary player available with our other first.

Tbh if the eagles wound up with a top 10 pick and like 30th then i tend to think they’d use the top 10 pick to maneuver up to get a pass rusher they covet. And then likely use 30th to recover some of the capital they gave up in this draft and/or build up some more capital for future drafts

I think that’s the best way to put it. Hurts needs to sustain what he’s shown, but what he’s shown is better than most expected. 

14 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Wow.  Granny playing favorites.  I hope the other great grandkids don't read the blog!  

Punctuation, my friend, punctuation...:smoke: :lol:

Archived