EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

16 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Be careful those of you down in the hurricane area. Looks like quite the storm 

F6DF9730-1586-43E2-8D8C-38905AC1B210.jpeg

@EaglePhan1986's pm'd me that his consensus has been burning a lot recently.  

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Has 4 breaks in his back and dealing with an ankle. Not that he’s a great Qb anyway but you could see for much of that game he didn’t look right. I’d be shocked if he made it through the season without missing any time 

2 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The exception to that for me would be to go a super high volume place like Franklin's BBQ in Texas.  Not sure if I'll ever make it down there though.

You have to start waiting in line around 7am at Franklins and they don't open until 11am. I tend to think of them as overrated. Yes, it's good bbq, but there's tons of great bbq around Austin that's not difficult to get, and I don't feel Franklins is head and shoulders above anyone else. I do read quite a bit from Aaron Franklin and have his meat smoking manifesto which really goes into his "science" of bbq. If you ever end up going to Franklins, you can go with a larger group to skip the line and order in advanced to pick up, but you need to order 5+ lbs of meat.

Terry Black's is my favorite in the area as far as bigger establishments go. There's some great hole in the wall places like Don's and a somewhat newer place called Interstellar bbq.

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Tbh if the eagles wound up with a top 10 pick and like 30th then i tend to think they’d use the top 10 pick to maneuver up to get a pass rusher they covet. And then likely use 30th to recover some of the capital they gave up in this draft and/or build up some more capital for future drafts

I think if the pick is closer to #5 then Howie attempts to move up for Will Anderson, however if the pick is around #10, I think he'll trade that pick and grab a bunch of future picks...which he might even do if it was at #5. If he can get kings ransom for that pick then I think you have to take it. You'll likely still have 2 firsts this year and 2 firsts for the next 2-3 drafts, which would give us so many options every year.

1 minute ago, wussbasket said:

You have to start waiting in line around 7am at Franklins and they don't open until 11am. I tend to think of them as overrated. Yes, it's good bbq, but there's tons of great bbq around Austin that's not difficult to get, and I don't feel Franklins is head and shoulders above anyone else. I do read quite a bit from Aaron Franklin and have his meat smoking manifesto which really goes into his "science" of bbq. If you ever end up going to Franklins, you can go with a larger group to skip the line and order in advanced to pick up, but you need to order 5+ lbs of meat.

Terry Black's is my favorite in the area as far as bigger establishments go. There's some great hole in the wall places like Don's and a somewhat newer place called Interstellar bbq.

You seem to think that I'd need a larger group to handle that.    Challenge accepted!    :lol:

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

You seem to think that I'd need a larger group to handle that.    Challenge accepted!    :lol:

5+ lbs of cooked meat is quite a lot. You need room for all the fixins like the creamed corn, beans, potato salad, fried okra, mac n cheese. I think I'm going to start waiting in line now.

21 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Hurts maintaining this level of play, while having a top 5ish pick and whatever pick we end up with (31!) would do a lot for this team. Will Anderson Jr and the best secondary player available with our other first.

Yep, need to quit putting bandaids on the secondary.

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

We had a deep discussion about this on the summer thread. 

Seattle doesnt seem like a big deal, but they just lost to the Panthers, have to fly to London to get beat by the Vikings, then flyback. 

Then you have a really hard gauntlet. 

Yeah these are the games the Saints need to win. They have a bunch of home games coming up. The Vikings, Bengals, and Raiders need to show up. The game in Arizona is on a Thursday night, so a short week after playing the Bengals. If they lose that Seattle game somehow then you almost guarantee a top 5 pick.

15 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

As luck would have it the 6th game this season will be hosting DAL; a team with a strong defense who has bested Hurts twice already.  The first step in being a contender is winning the division.  The Eagles need to beat Dallas, also Hurts needs to play well against them.  I have high hopes we can see 300+ pass yards and a win against the Turds in Week 6

100% agree.  If the Eagles are 5-0, and then Dallas wrecks Hurts again, the first 5 games don't mean as much to me.

4 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

5+ lbs of cooked meat is quite a lot. You need room for all the fixins like the creamed corn, beans, potato salad, fried okra, mac n cheese. I think I'm going to start waiting in line now.

Indeed it is.   I could likely only eat about 1.5 lbs with the sides myself, if I am enjoying a beverage with that... knock it down to just over a lb (to be conservative).   BUT... Me and 3 of my eating buddies... yeah, we could do 5lbs plus sides without a problem.  To me, 12 oz of steak is the barest of minimum size 'serving'.  Anything smaller than that better come with some surf along side the turf.  ;) 

2 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The exception to that for me would be to go a super high volume place like Franklin's BBQ in Texas.  Not sure if I'll ever make it down there though.

I look for BBQ where I see smoke coming from the joint. 

Just now, BigEFly said:

I look for BBQ where I see smoke coming from the joint. 

I know what you are saying... but just remember, Burger King has smoke coming from their place too.    ;) 

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Malcolm Reed's howtobbqright is a great resource.   

The secret to chicken, or any poultry, IMO... is to only smoke the dark meat.   The white meat just is too lean and sensitive.   So, my go to for turkey now is to break it down... and I smoke the leg quarters... and sous vide the breast.  Easiest methods out there for perfect meat every time, and you don't have to fight the battle of the dark meat not being done and drying out the breast meat.  And... it frees up the oven for other stuff.  @justrelax Gets credit for my sous vide affection.  And, the best part of going sous vide, it is a really simple little appliance that works with any pot you own.  So, I just put the turkey breasts into the Instapot with the sous vide and it works absolutely fantastic, and takes up a tiny bit of counter top space.   The window for 'done' with the breasts is wide open, so they are 'done' when the leg quarters are done... Then both get to rest and the sides are usually timed to the resting periods!   Best of all, the dark meat and the light meat have very different flavor profiles as I season them both very differently.  The dark meat gets a much more robust seasoning rub, while I go with a more delicate and herbal seasoning on the breasts.   Best of both worlds.   

Similar for chicken.   My favorite smoked chicken is stuffed boneless chicken thighs.  A lot of prep work to debone the thighs, but totally worth the effort.  In a pinch, you could get the stuff pre-done in the grocery store, but that's usually also skinless.   If you go that route, you'd want to wrap the thighs in bacon or something to protect the meat.  Also, they sell a 'rack' for holding chicken legs vertically while smoking.  Such a great tool and it allows you to smoke up a ton of chicken legs in a much smaller amount of space in the smoker.  

There is a roaster in my fridge that will be beer can chicken later this week. That’s the secret to breast meat on a bird, either rotisserie or down from the dark meat to get the fat juices flowing through. Rub butter under the skin then apply the rub.  

1 hour ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Third week in a row we have a Player of the Week.

Not bad for 27 snaps. 

Just now, BigEFly said:

There is a roaster in my fridge that will be beer can chicken later this week. That’s the secret to breast meat on a bird, either rotisserie or down from the dark meat to get the fat juices flowing through. Rub butter under the skin then apply the rub.  

Beer can chicken is a no go for my family.  Wife hates the taste of beer and every time I try to slip it in (like my chili) she catches me and tells me how bad it is.  So, we just don't do that anymore.  

Sadly, I was planning on something on the smoker this weekend, but it will be a washout thanks to Ian.   Could be worse and I could be staring it down as a Cat 4/5.  I'll just get lots of rain, but it means no outside cooking this weekend.

45 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Can’t imagine a flight that long felt good on the back. 

46 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Andy Dalton would be a better game manager option to just lean on there defense to try to win games without Jameis going full hero ball with his interceptions. 

Jags are coming off a big win in LA over San Diego (yeah, I know what I said!).  Dougie P is returning to the location of his greatest triumph and also his greatest hardship.   Does the team bow up and show to the Eagles' brass that he's a good coach and play out of their minds for him?  

Eagles coming off another big emotional win against a division rival.  Lots of things in the press about them being a Super Bowl participant favorite now.  Do the Eagles start to read their own press?  

I have this as a let down game situation.  Every year the Eagles seem to drop one that they have no business losing.  Could this be the one this year?  I have a feeling it is.  And what better spot to drop the ball than against an AFC Opponent where it impacts tie breakers the least - if at all?   Eagles have a game on the road next week against one of last year's playoff teams, followed by a show down against the 'boys right before the bye.  Does Doug coming back to town do anything to motivate this group to play harder to beat their old coach?   I just don't see that as a major motivating factor.  How does the weather impact the game?  

Winston is 13-13 with 51 TDs and 38 picks and an 86.9 rating over the same period.

We must have different definitions of worse.

I have no idea why people have this infatuation with Dalton. He is a terrible QB.

6 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Jags are coming off a big win in LA over San Diego (yeah, I know what I said!).  Dougie P is returning to the location of his greatest triumph and also his greatest hardship.   Does the team bow up and show to the Eagles' brass that he's a good coach and play out of their minds for him?  

Eagles coming off another big emotional win against a division rival.  Lots of things in the press about them being a Super Bowl participant favorite now.  Do the Eagles start to read their own press?  

I have this as a let down game situation.  Every year the Eagles seem to drop one that they have no business losing.  Could this be the one this year?  I have a feeling it is.  And what better spot to drop the ball than against an AFC Opponent where it impacts tie breakers the least - if at all?   Eagles have a game on the road next week against one of last year's playoff teams, followed by a show down against the 'boys right before the bye.  Does Doug coming back to town do anything to motivate this group to play harder to beat their old coach?   I just don't see that as a major motivating factor.  How does the weather impact the game?  

Yeah I feel we're going to need a big game from the LBers in this one. Besides the fact that they have been running the ball pretty well these past 2 weeks, they use screens quite a bit and also Evan Engram. Zay Jones seems to be their gadget type player and they use him a lot on shorter crossing routes. Everything seems to be designed to get the ball out of Tlaw's hands quick. Defense is going to have to play well on 1st downs to get them off the field.

Jameis is who we thought he was: a guy capable of having big games, then having 4 turnovers the very next Sunday. He's the "boom or bust QB" poster child. 

Archived