EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Fake punt negates all that.  Cardinals stole a possession that would have been extremely good field position for the offense had they smelled it out and stuffed it.  Covey was fine and did what was expected, nothing more or less.  Dicker was also as advertised... solid, but not spectacular.  Siposs had a great day, but indoors, that's much easier to do.  But, the stolen possession trumps all else on this day because that was specifically aimed at the coordinator.  They saw something in the Eagles punt return that left them vulnerable.  STs as a whole gets a higher mark, but the coordinator gets the F, because the fake punt was game planned in against his scheme, not the talent.  Everything else you mentioned was about talent, not scheme.

I’d add with special teams, they could’ve helped siposs by downing the ball better in one spot. It should’ve been downed at the 5 but the eagles player hit it and it rolled forward to the 10. Not that it’s huge play in the game and only 5 yards but it was something that really was preventable 

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

72.2% with barely crossing the LOS, and very fortunate not to have 2 TOs… yes the plan had a good 1st gear obviously but didn’t transition smoothly beyond the 1Q.

yep.  I'm counting 15 passes at or behind the LOS.  

1 minute ago, TorontoEagle said:

Wasn’t his air yards per attempt like 3 yards? You damn well better have above 70% if that’s the case

Yup, his yards/attempt we're a season low 6.64. Which seems as if it was largely due to a weird gameplan. Hopefully that doesn't continue. 

10 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Career

Chase 113 for 1798 and 15 TD's, 15.9 per.

Smith 92 for 1269 and 6 TD's, 13.8 per.

Smith has a lot of work to do to get back into the conversation.

Chase commands extra attention. He makes Tee Higgins a better player since he always has a safety over the top. 

apparently the FG attempt by the cardinals was tipped 

67A2ED1C-E228-47B6-B2DA-11D5DE07B374.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Fake punt negates all that.  Cardinals stole a possession that would have been extremely good field position for the offense had they smelled it out and stuffed it.  Covey was fine and did what was expected, nothing more or less.  Dicker was also as advertised... solid, but not spectacular.  Siposs had a great day, but indoors, that's much easier to do.  But, the stolen possession trumps all else on this day because that was specifically aimed at the coordinator.  They saw something in the Eagles punt return that left them vulnerable.  STs as a whole gets a higher mark, but the coordinator gets the F, because the fake punt was game planned in against his scheme, not the talent.  Everything else you mentioned was about talent, not scheme.

Point taken. Bit of sarcasm intended with my pinnacle comment. Thought you would catch that.

11 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

72.2% with barely crossing the LOS, and very fortunate not to have 2 TOs… yes the plan had a good 1st gear obviously but didn’t transition smoothly beyond the 1Q.

Agree. Took what the D gave. Overall, hurts was probably one of the biggest factors in the win though.  45% blitz rate is going to result in a lot of short throws.  Disappointed that they didn’t crank up the running game more. 

31 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

72.2% pass completion rate yesterday with no turnovers. The strength of the Cardinals secondary is their good and fast Ss. The strength of their line are the DL.  The game plan was to exploit the weaknesses on the edge and overall it worked pretty well.  But the fact Shane went to the well so much suggests a bit of a lack of imagination on his part.

I’m actually surprised as the game went on they didn’t go back to that well with aj brown. He got his 3 receptions and they really didn’t look his way again for much of the game. I’m fine doing WR screens cause smith and Watkins had some success with it. But Brown is the type of receiver if you do it and he breaks one tackle with his size and physically that he could be gone. The 3rd and goal play, i was surprised they didn’t try and run a Wr screen to brown (would’ve called another route with brown) as they been calling WR screens a lot. If he catches it and he doesn’t get in the cardinals have to burn a timeout. If he gets in we score a td. The only issue would’ve been if it were incomplete which imo the WR screen has a higher probability of completion unless the corner jumps the route.

11 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Hard to tell from that view how close the ball is to his hand.

Watching it again, the spin on the ball does not appear to change, I don't think it was blocked.

2 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Agree. Took what the D gave. Overall, hurts was probably one of the biggest factors in the win though.  45% blitz rate is going to result in a lot of short throws.  Disappointed that they didn’t crank up the running game more. 

Yeah, if you can’t pass over/around the blitz, running through a shallow front isn’t a bad call. I think the blitz wasn’t good for our bread and butter RO and the more conventional runs weren’t success early (2.5 yds/c?) w/o our maulers. Would’ve liked to see Sermon, but not a big deal.

Any updates on the injuries?  Hoping the OL can get back for Dallas.  Would be nice to have Maddox.  Although Scott has played ok, he has been targeted as the weak link.

Don’t know how many listened to solak and sheil’s podcast, i was listening to it on the drive home and solak made an excellent point, our RBs that are active and healthy right now are just really not good at pass pro. He talked about how hurts changed things at the line based off what he saw but our backs either didn’t stay in to block or just didn’t do a good job on the blitz recognition to make a good block.

I talked about this last year when they picked up Jordan Howard that part of the reason was cause he could actually pass pro and pick up a blitzer. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Don’t know how many listened to solak and sheil’s podcast, i was listening to it on the drive home and solak made an excellent point, our RBs that are active and healthy right now are just really not good at pass pro. He talked about how hurts changed things at the line based off what he saw but our backs either didn’t stay in to block or just didn’t do a good job on the blitz recognition to make a good block.

I talked about this last year when they picked up Jordan Howard that part of the reason was cause he could actually pass pro and pick up a blitzer. 

I just don't get the composition of the RB room right now. 3 smallish backs and a guy who looks like a PB but never plays.

2 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

Matt Rhule fired.

I got ripped on here when I said the dude is a college football coach and would never hack it in the pros. 

You can recruit in the pros and that high school harry crap doesnt work. 

Dude.  You consistently get ripped.  It really doesn't matter what you are saying at the time.  :smoke:

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Falcons selling already, anyone on that squad that could help us ????

They've got some good young guys but of guys they'd be willing to trade?  Meh. Maybe Cordarelle Patterson? If he recovers well from his injury at least. 

23 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Watching it again, the spin on the ball does not appear to change, I don't think it was blocked.

The flight was identical to his pregame attempts.  And the rotation of the ball doesn't go off axis.

Rhule still gets paid for 4 more years, and if he just ends up going back to college I'm guessing he can double dip?

2 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

The flight was identical to his pregame attempts.  And the rotation of the ball doesn't go off axis.

Yep, that is what I see.  If it was tipped, it wouldn't just die left, the ball rotation would change.  That ball was perfectly end over end.

Archived