EMB Blog: 2022 Regular Season (and beyond?) - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

Guest justrelax
14 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

My two biggest issues coming out of this game were the tackling on defense. We gave the Cardinals so many more yards and allow drives to continue because of piss poor tackling. The other issue I didn’t like some of the play calling on offense. Aj brown disappears way too Much at times when he needs to be targeted. When it is third and goal at the five, I want to run a slant with AJ Brown, who is my best wide receiver. He has a big body that can box out that corner and either the corners get off the run through him and try to get a deflection maybe getting a Pi, make a great play or AJ gonna catch it for the touchdown. There were some others and other formations I really didn’t care for 

Um, they did run a slant to Brown at the five. He and Watkins ran slants at different depths. Watkins was in the end zone and Brown wasn't. Hurts threw to Watkins.

• Replies 64k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off topic but the Mets playing Diaz’s trumpet intro yesterday down 4-0 in the 8th and the Padres fans clapping along is one of the funnier things I’ve see in a while. 

7 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I don't think changing the focus from just Columbus does anything to diminish the history.  The reality is that Europeans coming to the Americas was devastating for the native populations. We do not have to have an argument about moral relativity and the actions of Columbus.  We can simply acknowledge that there was a devastating impact on native populations part of which was directly caused by Columbus.  We ignore history when we make it a one-sided celebration or triumphic march of progress.  If we look at history as it impacted every person, we reach a better understanding of events and ultimately how we can think about shaping a moral and just society.  

The people that can't handle real history are the ones that seek to sugar coat it.  Call it what it was without trying to paint someone as a hero when he wasn't either in the context of his time or when he is put in historical perspective.  

I heard without the germs - the Americas would have taken on the complexion of say India. There were a lot of natives, not many white folks here for a long time.

Columbus day was political pandering to an Italian population that at the time had major power in Eastern urban centers - Columbus was an Italian sailing for a Spanish King (and given our English roots, the Spanish empire was the enemy), so no reason to be glorified by the US. He discovered Hispanola, the Vikings beat him to North America.

One thing overlooked, it's always tough to win on the West Coast for Eastern teams, long flight, etc.

Eagles simply didn't look fired up, Edwards was a step slow, tackling was bad, blocking was bad, and RBs were AWOL in blitz pickup.

Hurts didn't have a great game, but he did what was needed to win the game.

They coached not to lose, but I think that reflected how flat the team was - in a 17 game season, even top teams will have 3 or 4 "off" games. Especially on the road against non-division opponents. Fans get spoiled by winning teams and expect them to win every week - Vegas knows better.

If I'm Howie, I'm looking for a big back who is good at grinding it out and blitz pickup for games like this.

26 minutes ago, aptosbird said:

I am still hung up on thinking that the coaching "brain trust" chose to play conservatively to hide things from Dallas. That seems crazy considering they almost traded a loss for such a stupid game plan. What I do know is if they roll out such a plan next Sunday, they are going to get beat soundly...

I mentioned it as possible.  Not sure I buy it, but I also can't figure out why they went so super conservative.  I get the QB sneaks on 3rd and 1.  But they ran a QB sneak on 1st and goal twice, as well as 2nd and goal once.  To me, that almost screams a team that doesn't trust their goal line package with other plays, or they were desperately trying NOT to run anything more creative.  Even a simple inside zone read or read option would have been more creative.  Instead, they went super conservative.  Why?   Same goes for the ridiculously high number of WR screens?  Why so many?   

OR... were these changes that Hurts made?  Which could explain why there might have been some animated exchanges between Steichen and Hurts post-game.

Last few weeks, I praised Steichen for his creativity and his schemes being very successful.  Today, I have to say that the offense was extremely bland and highly predictable.  So predictable, in fact, that I nailed here in the blog every single one of the QB sneaks they called.   Each and every one.  7 for 7.  

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Rhule still gets paid for 4 more years, and if he just ends up going back to college I'm guessing he can double dip?

There should be an offset, which is why I bet Tepper released him now...hoping he can land one of the big NCAA gigs.

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:

Rhule will coach Oklahoma next season.

God I hope so. I have two college teams...Wisconsin where I went to undergrad, and Oklahoma, my dad's alma mater. I think Rhule could do some great things for the Sooners. He's a good coach, just not an NFL coach. It happens.

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

They have an elite defense and I'm not sold on our rush defense. 

The question will be if Dak plays and if so do they then abandon their run game and go pass heavy. 

Elite? Stop.

51 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Matt Rhule is just one of those guys who's built to coach the college game.  Some coaches relate and message better with 18-22 year old college kids/men instead of a room full of veterans.  Much like Dabo Swinney.  Hell, Nick Saban is a great example too.  Bombed with the Dolphins.  Goes back to LSU and Bama and the rest is history.  Absolutely no shame in being a better college coach than an NFL coach. I think we see him at a Power 5 school next year.  

Exactly. Welcome to Oklahoma!

41 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

Brian. Burns.

Pipe. Dream.

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

The Bills should consider trading for him.  

CMC to the Bills, Moore to the Packers (or maybe Ravens) make the most sense to me. 

Literally any competitive team would make sense for Burns

Just now, DEagle7 said:

CMC to the Bills, Moore to the Packers (or maybe Ravens) make the most sense to me. 

Literally any competitive team would make sense for Burns

And Chinn.

13 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I don't think changing the focus from just Columbus does anything to diminish the history.  The reality is that Europeans coming to the Americas was devastating for the native populations. We do not have to have an argument about moral relativity and the actions of Columbus.  We can simply acknowledge that there was a devastating impact on native populations part of which was directly caused by Columbus.  We ignore history when we make it a one-sided celebration or triumphic march of progress.  If we look at history as it impacted every person, we reach a better understanding of events and ultimately how we can think about shaping a moral and just society.  

The people that can't handle real history are the ones that seek to sugar coat it.  Call it what it was without trying to paint someone as a hero when he wasn't either in the context of his time or when he is put in historical perspective.  

Columbus was a colossal failure.  He was attempting to find a passage to India through the west.  He failed... miserably in that quest.   Granted, other opportunities arose for the Spanish for bank rolling his voyage, but in terms of achieving the stated objective, it was an abject failure.  

3 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

And Chinn.

Love me some Chinn. They'd be crazy to trade him unless he'd refuse a contract extension. 

7 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Um, they did run a slant to Brown at the five. He and Watkins ran slants at different depths. Watkins was in the end zone and Brown wasn't. Hurts threw to Watkins.

Not sure I'd refer to either of those routes as 'slants'.   Generally speaking, slants are inward breaking routes, heading towards the middle of the field.  Both Watkins and Brown were running towards the sidelines, and both seemed to be running pretty close to parallel to the LOS (iirc, I don't remember exactly), as Hurts was semi-rolling to his right.   And they were both in the same throwing lane.  Just jumbled all together.   Someone definitely screwed up royally on that play.   I'm guessing Watkins should have been deeper on his route, maybe 5-6 yards deep in the end zone, and Brown should have been on the goal line or even a yard or two deep.   Even then, they were too close together unless they were stacked differently horizontally as well as vertically.   

Remembering back, that play just seemed to have zero chance.

10 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Off topic but the Mets playing Diaz’s trumpet intro yesterday down 4-0 in the 8th and the Padres fans clapping along is one of the funnier things I’ve see in a while. 

Mets fans are the worst.  They show next to know excitement when Diaz makes his entrance.   Can you imagine CBP if the Phils had Diaz coming in.  Place would be ROCKING.

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Columbus was a colossal failure.  He was attempting to find a passage to India through the west.  He failed... miserably in that quest.   Granted, other opportunities arose for the Spanish for bank rolling his voyage, but in terms of achieving the stated objective, it was an abject failure.  

He also never stepped foot in North America. So why he had a holiday here in the first place is kind of a mystery.

2 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

He also never stepped foot in North America. So why he had a holiday here in the first place is kind of a mystery.

Doesn't matter to me.  I like the 3 day weekend in October.

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

They were getting 1 hit in a 6-0 elimination game.  No wonder there was no reaction.  Tone deaf by the team to play the song and have that moron Mr. Met out with his trumpet.  F them all. Especially their fans.  

Ever since he started using that song their fans never got in to it.  I never saw one video of him running on to the field where the fans were engaged.  

Week 5 prediction winner goes to @NCTANK, who was only one point off from being perfect, predicting a 20-16 win. 

Bonus winners go to:

@4for4EaglesNest Eagles score points in both halves

@e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! Eagles win because @e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! goes to the game

@Shalodeep Murray INT

@Utebird Hurts accounts for all Eagles TD's

37 minutes ago, downundermike said:

That would be the worst idea ever.  Risk losing a game, when you are the only undefeated team in the league, and if you lose, and the lose the following week, you could go from the 1 seed to 3rd in your own division.

The issue yesterday is Hurts did not know what to do when he saw a blitz look.

I’m not sure how much of a chance he was given to beat the blitz beyond relentlessly peppering them with WR screens. I’m curious how many times he had a hot route he could have hit or an outlet receiver available. 

I couldn’t say for sure yesterday but our play design has failed in previous weeks because there was nowhere to go quickly. He definitely had one play where he was sacked because he bailed on a decent pocket. Not sure if there was anyone open even if he hung in there. 

23 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Do they?  They have a couple of blue chips in Parsons and Diggs but they've played a lot of stuttering uneven offenses so far, of which the Rams might be the worst,  plus Parsons looked to be nursing at least a heavy groin strain by the end of the game on Sunday, I was surprised he wasn't taken out given the way he was limping between snaps.

It will be the Cowboys' first game against a top 10 offense.  I don't think Parsons is the entire reason their defense has played well but he is a difference maker. Lawrence has been good off the edge for them.  I think Diggs isn't a great coverage corner.  He's good at jumping routes.  I would like to see the Eagles attack him with a slant and go.  It's a smaller front for the Cowboys.  I just hope they don't overthing running it against them.  They should stick to inside runs and use their aggressiveness against them. 

It also looked like Sirianni was ticked off with Steichen or someone yesterday. Doesn't necessarily mean anything in the grand scheme of things but he looked pretty upset about something with the offense. 

Guest justrelax
Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

Not sure I'd refer to either of those routes as 'slants'.   Generally speaking, slants are inward breaking routes, heading towards the middle of the field.  Both Watkins and Brown were running towards the sidelines, and both seemed to be running pretty close to parallel to the LOS (iirc, I don't remember exactly), as Hurts was semi-rolling to his right.   And they were both in the same throwing lane.  Just jumbled all together.   Someone definitely screwed up royally on that play.   I'm guessing Watkins should have been deeper on his route, maybe 5-6 yards deep in the end zone, and Brown should have been on the goal line or even a yard or two deep.   Even then, they were too close together unless they were stacked differently horizontally as well as vertically.   

Remembering back, that play just seemed to have zero chance.

They started on the offensive left and crossed the field at an angle. To me that's a slant or, if you prefer, a crosser. No argument with you about their spacing.

46 minutes ago, justrelax said:

I’d have to go watch the replay of that. Felt like they ran a drag route across the field with him. Then again it was the far side of the field from where i was. 

play I’m talking about looks more like a go in motion drag. slant I want is brown runs a yard and a half vertical and slants going into the end zone. not running him across the field where he’s running horizontally across at the 4

Archived