EMB Blog: 2023 Camps and Preseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

7 hours ago, mattwill said:

You simply haven’t been paying attention.  There are terrible holds every NFL season.  Some seasons have multiple bad holds.

My point wasn't that there were no bad holds just nothing overly memorable which means it isn't a big problem.  Of course if you sign a terrible holder it's an issue but it's pretty rare ot hear about a consistently bad holder. It happens but not often

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Sure but kickers are making a higher percentage of kicks these days too.  It's like long snapper. People love to talk about the importance of a long snapper too but do you see any team where you think their long snapper stinks these days? 

When it happens... it costs teams games, which is why that is now a specialized position and they aren't asked to do anything else on the team.  Point being, it is extremely technical and minor variances to the eye from a distance can have huge consequences.  It is not a situation of just bring in anyone and it will be fine.  In fact, I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that part of these punter workouts includes holding.  I very much doubt that the team isn't considering that as part of the evaluation process.

Just now, pgcd3 said:

My point wasn't that there were no bad holds just nothing overly memorable which means it isn't a big problem.  Of course if you sign a terrible holder it's an issue but it's pretty rare ot hear about a consistently bad holder. It happens but not often

Nah.  If there's a missed kick, you can blame it all on the kicker, but many times there are other reasons besides the simplest... he pushed it or he shanked.  Kickers do... but a late placement, a misplacement, having the angle of the lean 5 degrees one way instead of the other, late getting his hand out of the way...  there's a bunch of ways a hold can be bad without it being in the slightest bit noticeable to the casual observer.

19 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

PSU has some fantastic talent.

Shame they don't have a coach who knows how to... well, coach.  Great recruiter though.

15 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

In addition to its overall hokiness, Field of Dreams has one error which completely ruined the movie for me. Joe Jackson was a lefthanded hitter. Having him bat righthanded in the movie was unforgivable. It'd be like making a movie about Babe Ruth and having him bat righthanded. Or in the future making a movie about Mike Schmidt and having him bat from the left side.

I honestly could never fathom how they could allow that to happen. Obviously it was intentional but what the hell?

Details like that drive me nuts in sports movies.  I also can't handle bad mechanics, whether it be throwing a football, a pitch, or shooting a basketball.  Watching that knob pitch in Rookie of the Year is unwatchable, because he throws like a girl.  One of the best details of Major League was Charlie Sheen's mechanics as a pitcher.  He looked like he belonged in the majors.  

Cinema Romantico: What Would Keanu Do?

🤮

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

When it happens... it costs teams games, which is why that is now a specialized position and they aren't asked to do anything else on the team.  Point being, it is extremely technical and minor variances to the eye from a distance can have huge consequences.  It is not a situation of just bring in anyone and it will be fine.  In fact, I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that part of these punter workouts includes holding.  I very much doubt that the team isn't considering that as part of the evaluation process.

I'm sure they are considering it. 

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Nah.  If there's a missed kick, you can blame it all on the kicker, but many times there are other reasons besides the simplest... he pushed it or he shanked.  Kickers do... but a late placement, a misplacement, having the angle of the lean 5 degrees one way instead of the other, late getting his hand out of the way...  there's a bunch of ways a hold can be bad without it being in the slightest bit noticeable to the casual observer.

I understand the theoreticals.  Now can you tell me one team in the nfl who replaced their holder last season because they thought he was doing a poor job and costing them points?

40 minutes ago, just relax said:

I am in no way a Penn State fan but I have a high regard for Olu Fashanu (hope I spelled that correctly). I have no idea where he might fall in the draft But I think he can play.

Him or Alt would be the top OT , imo . Paul another good one 

12 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Off day today. But tomorrow humongous big series starts 

I just heard that Acuna has 30 bombs and 60+ stolen bases this year.  F'ing 60!!  

1) That is unreal.  

2) Was Rob Thomson hibernating in Canada when the memo was sent out that it should now be much easier to steal bases with the pitch clock AND the the limited # of pickoff attempts?  

17 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Details like that drive me nuts in sports movies.  I also can't handle bad mechanics, whether it be throwing a football, a pitch, or shooting a basketball.  Watching that knob pitch in Rookie of the Year is unwatchable, because he throws like a girl.  One of the best details of Major League was Charlie Sheen's mechanics as a pitcher.  He looked like he belonged in the majors.  

Cinema Romantico: What Would Keanu Do?

🤮

I recall reading somewhere that Sheen was throwing in the high 80s? He trained for that role. 

7 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I recall reading somewhere that Sheen was throwing in the high 80s? He trained for that role. 

He was also on roids for that role to throw that. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

is that what they call coke these days?

Was Gostkowski’s miss of a short field goal in SB the result of a bad snap or a bad hold? I watched the replay of that game so many times and yet I still don’t remember. I know the ball was fumbled and they did all they could to eventually get it spotted. Thankfully it clanged off the upright. 

If it was indeed a hold, well, you have your answer about holding and how it can cost you. 

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Turkey Hill Experience is a former partner of mine for work and even if your kids are grown it's worth doing...but still geared towards kids. You get a full pint of vanilla ice cream, add in one of I think 12 flavors using a beaker and then you can put in all the inclusions you want. I generally would do raspberry ice cream with peanut butter cups and cookie dough bites. They do it classroom style so you're with a group of people. Not sure how much longer it will be in that location but have been hearing that for years. Columbia is a neat little town, some great antique places. Bube's Brewery isn't too far away in Mount Joy and that's quite the  place too. 

@Utebird if you have a Kroger nearby, TH ice products are carried in all of their stores.  

Thanks for the info!👍

Yup, our local grocer is Kroger but for whatever reason they stopped carrying TH ice cream ☹️

9 hours ago, austinfan said:

Albert O is physically as gifted as Jackson, has also been hampered by injuries, is the same age, but has produced in the NFL, not on a PS.

So if you're going to carry one "project" at TE, he's a better choice.

Albert O isn’t a project. Jackson would be AO’s backup, essentially, fulfilling the same role as an athletic TE/WR hybrid.

28 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I just heard that Acuna has 30 bombs and 60+ stolen bases this year.  F'ing 60!!  

1) That is unreal.  

2) Was Rob Thomson hibernating in Canada when the memo was sent out that it should now be much easier to steal bases with the pitch clock AND the the limited # of pickoff attempts?  

And bigger base pads 

9 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

How many years is one considered "brand new"? This is Tyree Jackson's third year playing the position. I would suggest the brand new label for him has long since expired. Maybe "somewhat inexperienced" or "still a bit raw" is more accurate.

He’s had 3 offseasons, 2 full seasons, and was on IR twice. Again, context matters.

19 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

You don’t see the access journalists taking shots like this very often. 

Was "taking the bus" the wrong answer?  I feel like this was edited to make it look more nonsensical than it actually was .... hopefully.

7 minutes ago, TEW said:

He’s had 3 offseasons, 2 full seasons, and was on IR twice. Again, context matters.

I’m not sure if you’re saying that does or does not make him brand new.

To me, brand new means right out of the box. Never opened. Never used.

Tyree Jackson has played in NFL games as a tight end. He’s still somewhat inexperienced at the position, but in no way does that make him "brand new”.

23 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

and coke

17 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

And bigger base pads 

Trea should be able to have 60 stolen bases easily.  He never gets thrown out.  

5 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Was "taking the bus" the wrong answer?  I feel like this was edited to make it look more nonsensical than it actually was .... hopefully.

I have no idea what taking the bus vs. driving has to do with winning games?  Only killers take the bus?  Or do killers only drive?  

Unfortunately for Gannon, it's gonna take more than 'fire in your gut' to win games.  It takes talent, too.  Cards are gonna be BAD this year.  I have Gannon in my 'first coach fired' pool, but I suspect he'll survive the season just because he was given a roster that's in such terrible shape.

Archived