EMB Blog: 2023 Camps and Preseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

2 hours ago, just relax said:

I am in no way a Penn State fan but I have a high regard for Olu Fashanu (hope I spelled that correctly). I have no idea where he might fall in the draft But I think he can play.

As of now he seems to be projected as a top 5 pick. Can’t imagine he falls out of the top 15.

Curious what you think of BYU OT Kingsley Suamataia. Seems like a more realistic target for the Eagles, and supposedly has the type of physical tools that Stout covets with size, power and athleticism.

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

What's the ADP for Dalvin Cook?  He's gonna get plenty of red zone touches

He's batting .300 this season.  

13 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

If you’re heading to MA to see the Eagles play don’t go to this pizza place 

Dom of the Year, dope pizza shop owner, huge argument, fangirls, guy losing his earbud. That's a lot to take in

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

Oh man, he's terrible. I almost feel bad for him. 

I will never feel anything for that man

17 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Jonathan Gannon, is the Arryn Siposs of coaches. Most Eagles fans knew long ago this guy was trash and would eventually cost them. The eye test says no! Though his past stats as coordinator say he's not too abysmal. 

2 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

My point wasn't that there were no bad holds just nothing overly memorable which means it isn't a big problem.  Of course if you sign a terrible holder it's an issue but it's pretty rare ot hear about a consistently bad holder. It happens but not often

If you want to really understand the complex nature of holding kicks and the effect it can have, there’s a great documentary from the early 90s on it. I think it was called Ace Ventura, Pet Detective 

8 hours ago, mattwill said:

The Athletic was relatively recently bought by the New York Times.

I am all for remote work, but anywhere in the US and Canada to report on the Eagles doesn’t make a lot of sense. I mean is that a conglomerator like Florio and to some extent BGN?  I suggest frequently that some of the Beats don’t seem to have sources.  As much as I don’t care for McLane and Gunn, it is undeniable they have sources and contact with the team.  Even Wulf seems to have that. (He matured some as a writer and abandoned some of the goofiness this year).  Someone like Nguyen, who understands what he is seeing on the field would be nice.  @just relax, someone like D20 is what I would like.  Maybe whoever posts as Honest NFL.  We don’t need more Kempski, BLG, ESP etc.  They already have Wulf.  I kind of would like to see what Fran Duffy would be like without his cheerleader hat.  Bet he has some sources. 

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Oh man, he's terrible. I almost feel bad for him. 

He's got 2 free years because they want to tank this season.  I just think he's probably going to be worse than McDaniel.  

29 minutes ago, TEW said:

As of now he seems to be projected as a top 5 pick. Can’t imagine he falls out of the top 15.

Curious what you think of BYU OT Kingsley Suamataia. Seems like a more realistic target for the Eagles, and supposedly has the type of physical tools that Stout covets with size, power and athleticism.

I saw Fashanu because PSU played Michigan. I haven't seen BYU in a while but I'll make a point of checking Suamataia out. Also Alt and Paul, with thanks to @Original Sin. Alt's father played on a great Chiefs OL some years ago. Good blood line.

22 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I am all for remote work, but anywhere in the US and Canada to report on the Eagles doesn’t make a lot of sense. I mean is that a conglomerator like Florio and to some extent BGN?  I suggest frequently that some of the Beats don’t seem to have sources.  As much as I don’t care for McLane and Gunn, it is undeniable they have sources and contact with the team.  Even Wulf seems to have that. (He matured some as a writer and abandoned some of the goofiness this year).  Someone like Nguyen, who understands what he is seeing on the field would be nice.  @just relax, someone like D20 is what I would like.  Maybe whoever posts as Honest NFL.  We don’t need more Kempski, BLG, ESP etc.  They already have Wulf.  I kind of would like to see what Fran Duffy would be like without his cheerleader hat.  Bet he has some sources. 

I like Duffy a lot, though I know what you mean. I just wish I had his software. I really liked Sheil as well. Peter King has his sources, but they're all front office types. And Dr. Z was a real loss.

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

I was excited about the Thomas Booker practice squad signing and mentioned some Brett Kollman content about him. So I just went back and found it for those who havent seen. Now you can all get excited.

In this vid it starts at about 6:10

And the interview. Smart guy. Knows football. Looks like a fun guy to be around who will fit in great in any room he is in. Hope he develops here.

Sarcastic GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

4 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I think you're right.  Journalism is still about relationships and access.  While you can be a Schefter or Josina Anderson, breaking news about teams on a national level, I think that's not really journalism.  What I like are practice reports, impressions on players and how the coaches are coaching the team.  These are in person observations. 

The local beats get out to practices and are in the locker room talking to players and coaches..  McLane and Gunn have player and team sources.  I also think the other beat writers are deferential to their reporting.   DGunn and McLane are more like national reporters that are fed positions and information from the team and players.  It's almost like other beat writers don't want to have this role.   I like Kempski.  He has gotten much better and he is an astute observer of the team.  He is the only beat writer that consistently writes about special teams and the punter.  His weakness is that he doesn't write stories that are sourced from players or people in the organization.  Wulf and Berman have a mix of sources but both tend to focus on writing articles more than breaking any news.  Wulf's articles are more lighthearted but they are good reads about the people on the team.  His article about the coach's daughter that is an up and coming golfer was excellent.  He also did the breakout player survey of the team.  Both of them are excellent writers and they do tend to have sourced articles that are good.  None of the beats are football experts.  

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Nolan Smith

That reminds me - I definitely want to send an invite to @Random Reglar for my fantasy league.  Would be nice to have someone actually draft players with the highest RAS and also defensive players to win free money.    

1 hour ago, TEW said:

He’s played a grand total of 9 games at TE. Half a rookie season. With zero prior experience at the position.

Yes, he’s still brand new. 

Agreed. He's still a rookie based on actual games played. Dude has 205 lifetime snaps as a tight end on offense. That's equivalent to 4 games if he were starting.

2 minutes ago, hputenis said:

That reminds me - I definitely want to send an invite to @Random Reglar for my fantasy league.  Would be nice to have someone actually draft players with the highest RAS and also defensive players to win free money.    

Oh so he gets an invite? 

1 hour ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Regular Season Blog is now open!

This one will remain available for the rest of the day.

And hopefully the fantasy football discussion remains here. We used to have a gentleman’s agreement, yknow.

3 hours ago, just relax said:

I am in no way a Penn State fan but I have a high regard for Olu Fashanu (hope I spelled that correctly). I have no idea where he might fall in the draft But I think he can play.

Pretty universally projected as the third or fourth rated prospect.  SI has hime #1 and Alt #4.  Of course, the player that he is flipping with tends to be Bowers.  Pre Pitt, I would laugh at a TE that high.  Probably out the Eagles range.  Probably Latham (Alabama) or Mims are within reach.  Maybe Barton (Duke).  Suamatia (BYU) is in some top 50 and not others. I like his feet.  Same with Paul (University of Houston).  I watch any UH game I can so I get overload of strengths and flaws.  (Maybe someone ought to point out to the Random guy that Greg Ward was a 54% QB and UH alum don’t mention him in the same breath with Keenum (NCAA record holder), Kolb, Klinger or Ware (pretty much in that order). )  Others to watch include Nelson (Miami), Fisher (Norte Dame), Nelson (Wisconsin), Featheree (Texas A&M - I don’t see a fit but it may be my Jimbo bias), Concalves (Pittsburgh), Guyton (Oklahoma), Morgan (Arizona).  Some of these guys are going to be Gs and some just don’t fit.  Looks like a decent IOL year, but kind of mediocre at C). Others will rise that aren’t on the radar.  Some are in middle rounds where the Eagles don’t have picks.  I look at OL but don’t see them near as well as you.  I do trust Stout’s eye. With no new fiction TV (been enjoying Great Courses of late -$8 of late) I suspect lots of people are going to be watching lots of games this year.  I may focus on ILB and traditional DE this year on D and vision RBs given three of our four are on one year contracts.  Need to look at slot WR too given OZ and Quez are both on the last year of their deals. 

4 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Because there isn't a worse sport than baseball.  Nothing more boring to watch, hear broadcast on the radio or hear talk about on the radio.  I can't stand when I turn on sports talk radio and there is either a Phillies game on or people are talking about the Phillies.  Their fanbase is also incredibly fairweather.  Can't stand the Phillies and I can't abandon Phillies fans.  Wish nothing but the worst for that franchise, wish they would relocate to another city.

What a coincidence, as we all wish you would relocate to another plane of existence.

2 hours ago, garingovt2000 said:

Who you guys got for fantasy football sleepers this year?

More just guys who I think have a way too low ADP right now:

QB - Jordan Love

RB - Tyjae Spears, Evan Hull (based on Taylor's availability), Javonte Williams

WR - Skyy Moore, Alec Pierce, Elijah Moore

TE - Dalton Schultz

3 hours ago, Original Sin said:

Him or Alt would be the top OT , imo . Paul another good one 

What are your lists by position this fall.  You always throw out names not yet on my radar. Thanks

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

What a coincidence, as we all wish you would relocate to another plane of existence.

Would that other plane of existence be where all your goof troop friends were sent to after they were banned from here?

D0H3.gif

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

You don’t see the access journalists taking shots like this very often. 

Well, how believable is that when the team drops the experienced, albeit journeyman QB and seems likely to go with Dobbs or Tune at QB for much of the year.  I am a UH fan but Tune has made me cringe too many times. Of course, we have Holgren as coach and he isn’t exactly inspirational for developing offensive skill players.  (Rank that right up there with A&M hiring Fisher.)

Just now, RememberTheKoy said:

Would that other plane of existence be where all your goof troop friends were sent to after they were banned from here?

D0H3.gif

I don't consider anonymous EMB people, "friends." And don't worry, you're not far behind.

On 8/30/2023 at 9:56 AM, Iggles_Phan said:

Howie has swindled the Vikings a couple times now.   Getting a first for Bradford was highway robbery.

Which we used on Barnett so..... even trade.

Archived