EMB Blog: 2023 Camps and Preseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

23 minutes ago, McMVP said:

Golf is my sport…to play anyway.  I used to be quite good… Then I got married and had kids and my game hasn’t been the same since.  I used to really enjoy watching it on TV… the majors at least.  A lot of great history there.  It is definitely not the same anymore.  It’s sad…at least to golfers like me 

One wonders about the merger and what was in it for the PGA chair.  Hard to imagine all the tournaments maintain their sponsors.  Already a move afoot in Congress to take away the tax exempt status.  So what does the PGA consist of that can force a merger like this when, in essence it is owned by the players. Yet supposedly the players were blindsided by the merger.  The whole thing has a stench to it.  Shall be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Gowton, Kempski, Tolentino, Kerr, others.

Thank you

Sirianni’s comment about Quez was interesting.  All the Quez naysayers have put a chip on his shoulder and Nick suggests he is responding quite well.

5 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

Christian Elliss getting rave reviews. The next TJ Edwards?

I suspect Elliss will be a WIL rather than a MLB like Edwards.  The next White would probably be a better description … if he continues developing into a starter.

14 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Deion Jones is a very good player. If his shoulder is ok I'd go that route. 

You are nothing if consistent … and impatient.  You never give players time to develop, especially homegrown players.  The shiny penny in the green grass on the other side of the fence always catches (demands) your eye.  There are two words that simply aren’t in your vocabulary.  Patience grasshopper. 

4 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Most of them are a bunch of entitled babies.  More than 100 PGA players made more than $1M in prize money last year; 58 of them made more than $2M --and that's just in tournament earnings.

One year they played the Canadian Open in British Columbia.  The players complained the course was 'too difficult' and they've never hosted there since.  The tournament they do in Palm Springs has a rotation of courses with half the field playing one course one day, then the other the next day.  They complained Silver Rock course was too difficult, so it was taken out of the rotation.  A lot of years during the US Open there are numerous complaints from players about 'unfair playing conditions' -- the rough is too long, the greens are too fast, the pin placements aren't fair, etc.  These are professional players.

Don't even get me started on why they're still using caddies.  I can measure distance, select and carry my own clubs -- but these morons need someone to carry their bag, choose which club to hit, and help line up their putts for them?  

As far as courses go, pros don't complain because they are too hard, they complain because they are unfair. Many pros like playing tough courses. But they don't like playing ones that are gimmicky. 

As far as caddies, sure I guess get rid of them. Put the players in carts and give them rangefinders. But are you making the game better? Not sure what your point is here. 

And as far as entitled babies, keep in mind pro golfers have 1,000 guys waiting to take their jobs. I have hung around lower level tours enough to see plenty of guys who are so good at golf it would make your head spin. So maybe your definition of entitled is really "this is the difference between flying in a private jet and living out of your car." 

47 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

For what exactly? Let's see about three weeks into the real training camp what he's doing. 

2 ints and a few pbu’s in the two open practices

Welcome to the 2023 NFL dead zone 

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

I believe the Eagles LB position is "in flux".  Not sure I see Nicholas Morrow as a starter on a contending defense, so unless he or Eliss take an unforeseen leap I would suspect Howie will bring in a more established LB from the "clearance bin" of free agency as insurance 

Wrong, eagle VA just created a thread saying Morrow is the best linebacker the eagles have had in a long time and will solidify the defense!

:roll:

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

2 ints and a few pbu’s in the two open practices

Welcome to the 2023 NFL dead zone 

Now is the time to work on things and throw balls you wouldn't normally in a game situation.  Learning rarely happens without making a few mistakes along the way.

44 minutes ago, mattwill said:

You are nothing if consistent … and impatient.  You never give players time to develop, especially homegrown players.  The shiny penny in the green grass on the other side of the fence always catches (demands) your eye.  There are two words that simply aren’t in your vocabulary.  Patience grasshopper. 

I'm patient. I'm just stating an opinion I believe in is all. I give lots of guys time, Stein for instance. I liked him coming out and think he will be a pretty good guard for us and willing to be patient there. Loved Mailata was willing to give him plenty of rope. I am not one who buried Jordan Davis either after a not so stellar start. But this is a team with Super Bowl aspirations. Going into the season with Morrow and Ellis and another one we are still being patient with in Taylor, that's just not good enough I don't think. Jones has major production in this league with one pro bowl under his belt at a position we have constantly swung and missed at and thin on top of it. 

2 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

I believe the Eagles LB position is "in flux".  Not sure I see Nicholas Morrow as a starter on a contending defense, so unless he or Eliss take an unforeseen leap I would suspect Howie will bring in a more established LB from the "clearance bin" of free agency as insurance 

The Patrick Queen situation feels similar to Timmy Jernigan's from years back. Final year of his deal, still big upside, but the Ravens just paid someone at his position and aren't trying to double dip. Think the Eagles got Jernigan for 4th round value, wouldn't be shocked if they considered that here.

3 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

Caddies arent allowed to line up the putts

also carrying a tour bag is awful and would wear the players out. Plus its tradition

They aren’t allowed to be involved once the player spots the ball and begins the address, but they’re involved reading break and pace up to that point.

I use a cart bag, they can do the same.  I’ve never been a believer in tradition — the saying "We’ve always done it that way” is a roadblock to innovation and improvement 

2 hours ago, BigEFly said:

One wonders about the merger and what was in it for the PGA chair.  Hard to imagine all the tournaments maintain their sponsors.  Already a move afoot in Congress to take away the tax exempt status.  So what does the PGA consist of that can force a merger like this when, in essence it is owned by the players. Yet supposedly the players were blindsided by the merger.  The whole thing has a stench to it.  Shall be interesting to see how it plays out.

From my understanding, the operations end of the PGA which handles the pension among other things will still remain a 501c non profit. With this new "merger” they’re setting up another company which will be the for-profit portion. But this isn’t as much as a merger as it is an acquisition by the Saudi PIF. They’re the money behind the operation and will be the ones calling the shots. Under the PIF, they will have the PGA, LIV, and DP tours. 

2 hours ago, Saltpeter said:

The Patrick Queen situation feels similar to Timmy Jernigan's from years back. Final year of his deal, still big upside, but the Ravens just paid someone at his position and aren't trying to double dip. Think the Eagles got Jernigan for 4th round value, wouldn't be shocked if they considered that here.

I actually wouldn’t trade a 4th for Queen. I’m getting sick of giving up 3rd and 4th round picks for dudes who only play a year here or suck. Golden Tate, Robert Quinn, Avery. At that point I’d rather just sign like Evans or someone. 

6 hours ago, McMVP said:

I’m trying to think of what he would need to improve on most… What does the blog think is his most needed area of improvement?

Staying in the pocket, and not reflexively start moving, usually to the right, at the first hint of pressure. Also to not retreat when rolling to his right. That's something he did too often -- in my opinion -- and it almost always led to an incomplete pass. In other words, anytime he started rolling right and went backwards while doing so, the play was invariably dead in the water.

9 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Sirianni’s comment about Quez was interesting.  All the Quez naysayers have put a chip on his shoulder and Nick suggests he is responding quite well.

I sense a Tweet of an 'unbelievable one handed catch' in training camp is about to appear.

9 hours ago, jsb235 said:

As far as courses go, pros don't complain because they are too hard, they complain because they are unfair. Many pros like playing tough courses. But they don't like playing ones that are gimmicky. 

As far as caddies, sure I guess get rid of them. Put the players in carts and give them rangefinders. But are you making the game better? Not sure what your point is here. 

And as far as entitled babies, keep in mind pro golfers have 1,000 guys waiting to take their jobs. I have hung around lower level tours enough to see plenty of guys who are so good at golf it would make your head spin. So maybe your definition of entitled is really "this is the difference between flying in a private jet and living out of your car." 

Yeah, I remember when they played the US Open at Bethpage Black for the first time and only the winner broke par and 6 over was good enough for top ten. If the players were really scared of tough courses Bethpage would never have hosted another tournament, that place is brutal.

9 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

They aren’t allowed to be involved once the player spots the ball and begins the address, but they’re involved reading break and pace up to that point.

I use a cart bag, they can do the same.  I’ve never been a believer in tradition — the saying "We’ve always done it that way” is a roadblock to innovation and improvement 

I agree with this sentiment and if that's the only justification for it, then there's no need to preserve it.  But frankly, couldn't care less about professional golf.  However, your comment has me intrigued, what is the problem with having caddies carrying bags and helping to read break, pace, etc.?  It gives someone a job that would have to be gainful employed in some other business.  It gives younger aspiring golfers a chance to stay around the game and be involved with more experienced players.  What's the downside?

9 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Nothing innovative about tiring the players out. Worse play isnt what people want to watch.

7 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I agree with this sentiment and if that's the only justification for it, then there's no need to preserve it.  But frankly, couldn't care less about professional golf.  However, your comment has me intrigued, what is the problem with having caddies carrying bags and helping to read break, pace, etc.?  It gives someone a job that would have to be gainful employed in some other business.  It gives younger aspiring golfers a chance to stay around the game and be involved with more experienced players.  What's the downside?

Look at Hovland caddying for his college teammate after winning

caddies are a teammate not a servant

pace of play is where they need to focus hard

2 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Look at Hovland caddying for his college teammate after winning

caddies are a teammate not a servant

pace of play is where they need to focus hard

But... in Happy Gilmore, Shooter McGavin treated his caddy like a serf!  That has to be how it is for all of them.

13 hours ago, McMVP said:

Sirianni was saying how impressed he was with Hurts today.  I realize he would not say anything else, but he did sound as if he was going to make yet another leap forward. I certainly did not anticipate how much he would improve last season, and I’m not expecting an equal leap this year.  It would actually be scary to see what that would look like… In a good way.

I’m trying to think of what he would need to improve on most… What does the blog think is his most needed area of improvement?

Not fumbling

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

But... in Happy Gilmore, Shooter McGavin treated his caddy like a serf!  That has to be how it is for all of them.

This scene still makes me giggle every time I see it:

gY4cLO.gif

10 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

I actually wouldn’t trade a 4th for Queen. I’m getting sick of giving up 3rd and 4th round picks for dudes who only play a year here or suck. Golden Tate, Robert Quinn, Avery. At that point I’d rather just sign like Evans or someone. 

I agree, I'm out on Queen at that price. There's free agents out there that would be cheaper and just as good or possibly better.

Archived