EMB Blog: 2023 Camps and Preseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Andrew Painter.

I'm already worried he's going to blow his arm out.  I also don't get too excited over their pitching prospects anymore because they just seem to be overhyped.  Would love to see a positional player come up through the ranks one of these days.

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Mcnair then vick

Nah, everyone at their peak best level of play, Newton and Jackson are both a level above Vick IMO. Even his best year as a passer Vick wasn't that great.

Just now, bpac55 said:

I'm already worried he's going to blow his arm out.  I also don't get too excited over their pitching prospects anymore because they just seem to be overhyped.  Would love to see a positional player come up through the ranks one of these days.

You asked.  He's the top option.  Not a single positional prospect that I'd get too worked up over right now.  Stott seems to be a nice addition, not a stud, but a solid pro type certainly.   Might scratch his way to an ASG someday.

3 hours ago, paco said:

This is my fault.  Just a few days ago I thought to myself "is that dude still alive" for no particular reason and looked it up on wiki  :sad: 

Jabrony

12 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Howie kicking himself for trading for Swift.

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Saw this on Reddit. Lots of people choosing Vick. Am I taking crazy pills? He’s easily the worst QB on here

F7RpiCA.jpg

Vick was the most talented player to ever play QB in the NFL.  Mahomes has probably surpassed that though.

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Vick was the most talented player to ever play QB in the NFL.  Mahomes has probably surpassed that though.

And Brady was one of the least talented. That doesn’t really get you far by itself

15 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

The law of the jungle in the NFL.  "We have a good player, but he's making too much money for us to keep.  Anyone want to trade for him?"

Dolphins -- "Nah ... we'll just wait until you cut him".

Same sort of thing happened with Carr, Raiders, and Saints I believe.

2 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

And Brady was one of the least talented. That doesn’t really get you far by itself

Yeah hut if you had a chance to draft one of these phone 4 players in the image and you were going to develop him you go eith the most talented.  It's a shame Vick didn't start caring until after he went to prison because we will never see what his real peak could have been. Eagles had McNabb at the time but if in a hypothetical alternative universe Vick is drafted by Andy Reid and developed by Andy from the start I think Vick goes down as one of the greatest ever.

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Saw this on Reddit. Lots of people choosing Vick. Am I taking crazy pills? He’s easily the worst QB on here

F7RpiCA.jpg

One game, must-win and I get to choose by rank?

McNair (not going trolling for chicks after the game, though)

Vick (not going to the dog park after the game, though)

Jackson (we'll lose, and not gonna hang out on the couch after the game)

Newton (we'll lose, and he's gonna be a tool to deal with all day)

5 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Yeah hut if you had a chance to draft one of these phone 4 players in the image and you were going to develop him you go eith the most talented.  It's a shame Vick didn't start caring until after he went to prison because we will never see what his real peak could have been. Eagles had McNabb at the time but if in a hypothetical alternative universe Vick is drafted by Andy Reid and developed by Andy from the start I think Vick goes down as one of the greatest ever.

You don’t just decide to pick up dog fighting at 25, he was indoctrinated way before he ever went to Virginia tech. Vick is going to prison regardless of what team he goes to. So we get him for 6 years and then definitely don’t sign him when he gets back out. He was never going to be that hypothetical player you’re taking about 

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

You asked.  He's the top option.  Not a single positional prospect that I'd get too worked up over right now.  Stott seems to be a nice addition, not a stud, but a solid pro type certainly.   Might scratch his way to an ASG someday.

Oh, I know and I appreciate the answers.   Stott to me is Kevin Stocker.

28 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Howie kicking himself for trading for Swift.

Why?  Swift is 24 and they will give him a 2-3 year contract.  Dalvin Cook is going to be 28 by the start of the season.  Last year was the first year he was able to play every game.  Before that, he missed 26 games in his first 5 years.  People want to talk about Swift missing games but Cook isn't some golden standard of clean health.

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

Oh, I know and I appreciate the answers.   Stott to me is Kevin Stocker.

He's a much better hitter than Stocker ever was.  But, I'd say that Stocker was a much better fielder.   Similar overall players, I guess, but very different roles to be played... which is why Stott is at 2nd base right now.  Much better position for him defensively.

Incidentally, not that I really understand what they mean by "WAR"... but Stocker's career WAR number was about a 1.1, Stott is at 2.2.  Whatever that number really means.  :lol: 

49 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Even with what the Eagles have added at RB, I'd try to land Cook.  The durability of Swift and Penny is questionable, but moving Cook to the lead back and those two as reserves... that's a nice fit.  Swift could take over KO duties, and Scott could be shown the door.  Gainwell moves into a deep reserve role and the team can try to just outscore everyone every week... AND have a much more consistent running back room to help them run out the clock on games in the second half.  

Curious what he'd cost.   But, if he's looking for a championship chase, this would likely be one of the 3 or 4 best options for him.  (The other 4 would all be in the AFC, and frankly, that makes them all have a harder path.). 

5 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

He's a much better hitter than Stocker ever was.  But, I'd say that Stocker was a much better fielder.   Similar overall players, I guess, but very different roles to be played... which is why Stott is at 2nd base right now.  Much better position for him defensively.

Incidentally, not that I really understand what they mean by "WAR"... but Stocker's career WAR number was about a 1.1, Stott is at 2.2.  Whatever that number really means.  :lol: 

I had to look it up, right ... WAR = Wins Above Replacement. And I still don't know what that means.  2.2 more wins per season or per something else ...?

1 minute ago, Nivraga said:

I had to look it up, right ... WAR = Wins Above Replacement. And I still don't know what that means.  2.2 more wins per season or per something else ...?

Oh, I know what the acronym means... but have no clue how it could legitimately be calculated.  :lol:    So, for me, its a primarily meaningless number.

1 hour ago, ToastJenkins said:

Mcnair then vick

That was my thought as well.  Jackson needs to reverse his decline in order to be in the top 2. Newton is too boom or bust for my taste.  He comes in as #4.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Oh, I know what the acronym means... but have no clue how it could legitimately be calculated.  :lol:    So, for me, its a primarily meaningless number.

Yes, I was essentially mimicing your sentiment. Kevin Stocker (Since he's been talked about) was a pleasant surprise when they brought him up so how does the stat machine know that some other player in the minors right now wouldn't be better for the Big League team then the current starter? I think that there is a level of education where you master how to make stuff up ... no one else will understand it so what does it matter.

It will be interesting to see how the RB musical chairs will unfold for the 2023 season. Some big (and past their prime) names out there now in the free agent market:

Dalvin Cook

Ezekiel Elliott

Kareem Hunt

Leonard Fournette

1 minute ago, Nivraga said:

Yes, I was essentially mimicing your sentiment. Kevin Stocker (Since he's been talked about) was a pleasant surprise when they brought him up so how does the stat machine know that some other player in the minors right now wouldn't be better for the Big League team then the current starter? I think that there is a level of education where you master how to make stuff up ... no one else will understand it so what does it matter.

Weirdly, when Stocker came up in '93, he vastly soldified the defense because Juan Bell was brutal at SS.

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

This is rich

Don't bet on games... but cheat to make sure you win!  At least we can feel fairly confident that Tom was never a guy involved in points shaving.

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Nah, everyone at their peak best level of play, Newton and Jackson are both a level above Vick IMO. Even his best year as a passer Vick wasn't that great.

At their peak level, you are probably right, but neither Newton nor Jackson were able to sustain that peak performance … and their decline from peak was precipitous.  I judge all four on the basis of their respective careers, not on a freak year.

Archived