EMB Blog: 2023 Camps and Preseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

8 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

This is rich

He's right.  Spend your free time being a sperm donor and deflating balls.  Both scream integrity.

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was watching the NBA finals last night and just before halftime during a timeout break, they did a live read of a draftkings advertisement where you could bet on who would lead at halftime.  

Right in your face during the actual broadcast of the game.

How these leagues scoop up literally every single gambling penny with one hand and drop the hammer on players making $50 bets with the other hand is something else.

And oh by the way, call 1800 GAMBLER if you actually did what their ads said and gambled each time they told you to and are now addicted to gambling.

28 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Why?  Swift is 24 and they will give him a 2-3 year contract.  Dalvin Cook is going to be 28 by the start of the season.  Last year was the first year he was able to play every game.  Before that, he missed 26 games in his first 5 years.  People want to talk about Swift missing games but Cook isn't some golden standard of clean health.

I don't see how Swift gets re-signed.

Neither are shining examples of good health but Cook is the better RB.

1 minute ago, Mike31mt said:

Was watching the NBA finals last night and just before halftime during a timeout break, they did a live read of a draftkings advertisement where you could bet on who would lead at halftime.  

Right in your face during the actual broadcast of the game.

How these leagues scoop up literally every single gambling penny with one hand and drop the hammer on players making $50 bets with the other hand is something else.

And oh by the way, call 1800 GAMBLER if you actually did what their ads said and gambled each time they told you to and are now addicted to gambling.

Frustrating right?

47 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

You don’t just decide to pick up dog fighting at 25, he was indoctrinated way before he ever went to Virginia tech. Vick is going to prison regardless of what team he goes to. So we get him for 6 years and then definitely don’t sign him when he gets back out. He was never going to be that hypothetical player you’re taking about 

I fully disagree.

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I don't see how Swift gets re-signed.

Neither are shining examples of good health but Cook is the better RB.

D'Andre Swift is everything the Eagles really covet in a back.  He's even the shorter, thicker kind of back they prefer. He's also young.  I know RB isn't worth a massive investment but Penny and Scott are also here on 1-year deals, and they will be 28 and 29 in 2024.  I think the Eagles will look to have Swift and Gainwell as their 1-2 punch moving forward.  If they can get both of them back on team friendly, 3-year deals, RB is off the list of needs.

Don't be surprised if it's just canceled or only 20 mins long

On that gambling thought, heres a question for you guys, just for a different perspective:

Lets say youre a Wise Guy and you want to influence sports games for money.  Lets say the NFL as an example.  How would you do it? 

I would argue with modern salaries, the easiest way to influence a game, by FAR, would be the referees.  By orders of magnitude.

Which player has the most impact on the game? QB.  So pick one, and tell me how much youd have to offer him to actually throw a game or shave points.

Want to pick an OL insteas?  Probably less cash, but less influence on the game.  No guarantee it actually has the effect you want/need.

My point is that paying players to shave points or throw games is almost impossible nowadays.  By far the biggest marks are the refs, and they can single handedly change outcomes as we just saw on the biggest stage in American sports.

51 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

You don’t just decide to pick up dog fighting at 25, he was indoctrinated way before he ever went to Virginia tech. Vick is going to prison regardless of what team he goes to. So we get him for 6 years and then definitely don’t sign him when he gets back out. He was never going to be that hypothetical player you’re taking about 

Agree with the first part.  Vick grew up with the dog fighting culture and it was embedded in him at a young age.  With that being said, those early AR teams were LOADED with veteran leadership.  Not only would he have had AR and the coaching staff but players like Duce, Tra Thomas, Jon Runyan, Chad Lewis, Hugh Douglas, Troy Vincent, Brian Dawkins, Brian Mitchell and even James Thrash would have had a HUGE influence on Vick.  

Vick had 3 coaches in Atlanta with no consistent leadership. There were a few with Warrick Dunn, Bob Whitfield and Keith Brooking but nothing near what he would have been surrounded by if he was on those AR teams.  Doug Johnson was the veteran QB in the room with him.  Not a great mentor by any means.  Ray Buchanan was probably nothing but a negative influence.  Also compare living in Philly vs. Atlanta.  Philly has it's issues for sure but I would think Vick being up in Philly would have been a lot different than down in Atlanta.  

The Eagles drafting Vick could have changed his entire career and life from day 1.

14 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

D'Andre Swift is everything the Eagles really covet in a back.  He's even the shorter, thicker kind of back they prefer. He's also young.  I know RB isn't worth a massive investment but Penny and Scott are also here on 1-year deals, and they will be 28 and 29 in 2024.  I think the Eagles will look to have Swift and Gainwell as their 1-2 punch moving forward.  If they can get both of them back on team friendly, 3-year deals, RB is off the list of needs.

Eagles covet a RB staying healthy so he doesn't have everything.

There are two scenarios for Swift:

1)  He is unable to stay healthy as he has in his career and Eagles as a result don't invest a multi-year deal into him.

2) He stays healthy and has a very good year in this offense and then becomes more expensive than the Eagles are willing to pay.

:offtopic:

This is too funny.  The Texas House hired Rusty Hardin (Watson’s attorney) as an outside lawyer to represent their impeachment in trial in the Senate of Attorney General Paxton.  Today’s paper says Paxton hired Tony Buzbee (the massage therapists’ attorney) to represent him in the trial. Guess all that Watson publicity paid off and they are seeking more.

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Eagles covet a RB staying healthy so he doesn't have everything.

There are two scenarios for Swift:

1)  He is unable to stay healthy as he has in his career and Eagles as a result don't invest a multi-year deal into him.

2) He stays healthy and has a very good year in this offense and then becomes more expensive than the Eagles are willing to pay.

option 3, they give him an extension before the season gets under way.

3 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

This is too funny.  The Texas House hired Rusty Hardin (Watson’s attorney) as an outside lawyer to represent their impeachment in trial in the Senate of Attorney General Paxton.  Today’s paper says Paxton hired Tony Buzbee (the massage therapists’ attorney) to represent him in the trial. Guess all that Watson publicity paid off and they are seeking more.

I see that Buzbee has been reduced to representing a lower class of clients.

8 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

We are talking the Texas House. Where a 3 figure IQ is something to celebrate (I actually testified a couple times before a House Committee, let's just say it wasn't statesmanship in action). And Paxton lowers the bar for a politician's integrity to something below Louisiana at its best.

9 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

option 3, they give him an extension before the season gets under way.

If they were going to extend him prior to the season then they would have done so shortly after the trade.

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

He's a much better hitter than Stocker ever was.  But, I'd say that Stocker was a much better fielder.   Similar overall players, I guess, but very different roles to be played... which is why Stott is at 2nd base right now.  Much better position for him defensively.

Incidentally, not that I really understand what they mean by "WAR"... but Stocker's career WAR number was about a 1.1, Stott is at 2.2.  Whatever that number really means.  :lol: 

Wins above replacement. That is, how much more valuable a player is than the worst starter or so (a few each year are below replacement value).

An average starter should be 2 WAR, a top starter 4 WAR, all star quality 6 WAR (Harper, JT). Basically they regress offensive and defensive stats against runs produced/saved and convert that into expected impact on wins over a season.

Phillies have a lot of good prospects in the low minors, Clearwater is kicking butt.

Above that it's thin pickings, Rojas, De La Cruz and Wilson at Reading, Muzzioti and Ortiz (seems to have discovered the strike zone) in AAA.

New Jersey has some players to watch, Lee, Lee Sang, Simmons and Martin. Simmons is a big athletic kid who struggled for years but turned it on this season, but is now hurt (the Phillies of course). Martin another top athlete who struggled at the plate but seems to have turned the corner.

Clearwater is loaded with position player prospects, we'll see in a couple years if they're for real.

8 minutes ago, austinfan said:

We are talking the Texas House. Where a 3 figure IQ is something to celebrate (I actually testified a couple times before a House Committee, let's just say it wasn't statesmanship in action). And Paxton lowers the bar for a politician's integrity to something below Louisiana at its best.

I could have sworn you were no longer with us:

'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' Frames Mr. Rogers As A Man On A Mission | The ARTery

27 minutes ago, mattwill said:

At their peak level, you are probably right, but neither Newton nor Jackson were able to sustain that peak performance … and their decline from peak was precipitous.  I judge all four on the basis of their respective careers, not on a freak year.

I still say Newton has a stronger resume at pro and college level to look back on than Vick, and Newton made far and away a better job of sustaining a level of performance than Vick ever did.

Over the 8 years of his career he was unquestioned starter in Carolina he averaged over 22 passing TD's a year and 7 Rushing , Even if you strip out the years Vick was injured more than 5 games he only averaged 16 passing TD's and less than 5 Rushing a year.

People judge Newton on the back end of his career when his talent was fading, even in his bad year in New England he ran for more TD's in a season than Vick ever managed while throwing a completion percentage Vick never got near.

Vick wins on career average per carry and that's it.

58 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I would argue he’s everything the Eagles want in a receiving back. I think that’s where he’s at his best is being a receiver out of the backfield. He is a mismatch in that area.

The two things he needs to be better at or working against him are his durability and vision as a runner. going into a contract year if he stays healthy I get concerned that that’s the outlier year and you’re gonna have to pay on the fact that he stayed healthy that year. the likelihood going forward that he continues that I think is iffy when there’s been three previous years showing you that’s not the norm.

Secondly, based off reading a lot of Lions beat reporters (listened to their take on the trade in some lions pods) and some of the things they were hearing (also the lions fans constant complaint about him besides being hurt) lions were not thrilled about his vision as a runner. They thought he left a lot of yards on the table. It’s one of the reasons why when he got healthy they Continued to give Jamaal Williams majority shares of the touches.

If we want to be honest with ourselves, I think penny is a better runner. He’s not as good of a receiver. Frankly don’t think it’s particularly close. If you can come by Penny’s running ability with D’Andre Swift pass catching ability you probably have the perfect back for the Eagles beside the durability issues.

16 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Wins above replacement. That is, how much more valuable a player is than the worst starter or so (a few each year are below replacement value).

An average starter should be 2 WAR, a top starter 4 WAR, all star quality 6 WAR (Harper, JT). Basically they regress offensive and defensive stats against runs produced/saved and convert that into expected impact on wins over a season.

Phillies have a lot of good prospects in the low minors, Clearwater is kicking butt.

Above that it's thin pickings, Rojas, De La Cruz and Wilson at Reading, Muzzioti and Ortiz (seems to have discovered the strike zone) in AAA.

New Jersey has some players to watch, Lee, Lee Sang, Simmons and Martin. Simmons is a big athletic kid who struggled for years but turned it on this season, but is now hurt (the Phillies of course). Martin another top athlete who struggled at the plate but seems to have turned the corner.

Clearwater is loaded with position player prospects, we'll see in a couple years if they're for real.

They have a lot of prospects at Low a/single A. They have some AA but they’re not a lot of positional type players. I see them not making it all the way to the Phillies. With how the Phillies are spending money in the roster construction, a lot of those guys I think get traded to build the team around Harper, Turner, stott and Alec bohm going forward.

The issue the Phillies have coming up is Aaron Nola is a free agent at the end of the year and in his 30s. There’s a chance he doesn’t come back. And then the following year Zack wheeler is 34 years old and at the end of his contract. So your top two starters might not be here by 2025. I doubt the Phillies are just gonna go with Andrew painter, McGarry and Mick Abel in the rotation with walker and Ranger Suárez. So I think two of those three are likely going to be in the rotation. One of them is going to be traded and I think they’re going to try to make a move to get somebody like a shane Bieber. Now there was a rumor a couple weeks ago about the Phillies trying to get in on the Ohtani sweepstakes this off-season. Which would actually make sense if you’re not gonna pay Rhys Hoskins and Aaron Nola because you can pay a little bit extra and you’re basically getting  a better hitter than Rhys and a better pitcher than Nola in one player. That said i think he doesn’t come to the Phillies 

47 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I could have sworn you were no longer with us:

'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' Frames Mr. Rogers As A Man On A Mission | The ARTery

More like:

image.png.379fb62d0b784b3747e9ce5142a24a27.png

NFL Network will have the only 2 preseason games you need to watch

Week 1: Sat 8/12, Eagles vs Ravens 7:00 PM

Week 2: Thu 8/17, Eagles vs Colts 7:30 PM

1 hour ago, Mike31mt said:

On that gambling thought, heres a question for you guys, just for a different perspective:

Lets say youre a Wise Guy and you want to influence sports games for money.  Lets say the NFL as an example.  How would you do it?

Guys fix games all the time, but it's usually low level tennis matches or cricket games in far flung places. You wouldn't be a wise guy if you tried to fix a major sporting event where pulling it off is incrementally harder for the same payout.

9 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

NFL Network will have the only 2 preseason games you need to watch

Week 1: Sat 8/12, Eagles vs Ravens 7:00 PM

Week 2: Thu 8/17, Eagles vs Colts 7:30 PM

That ball looks bigger than Young's head

Archived