EMB Blog: 2023 Camps and Preseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

14 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

Should baseball players use aluminum bats?

Most do.

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

I meant in mlb

would be fun to watch.  new home run record would be 136

Any guesses on what Flyers do in draft?  Also you think Hart gets traded?

1 hour ago, garingovt2000 said:

Are Bradley and Wallace going to make the team?

I sure hope not.

16 hours ago, McMVP said:

Sirianni was saying how impressed he was with Hurts today.  I realize he would not say anything else, but he did sound as if he was going to make yet another leap forward. I certainly did not anticipate how much he would improve last season, and I’m not expecting an equal leap this year.  It would actually be scary to see what that would look like… In a good way.

I’m trying to think of what he would need to improve on most… What does the blog think is his most needed area of improvement?

He was pretty good last year but teams will use the Bears game as a blueprint for defending him.  SF tried some of that in the NFC Championship game.  Didn’t work as well.   So my ask of Jalen is to keep pushing to be better.  Be like Larry Bird going home to French Lick every summer and adding something to his game.  Fact Hurts was in CA pre the OTA phases makes me think he is still working with throwing coaches. Sounds like he and the receivers are getting together. Hope he invites the TEs and RBs too.  

2 hours ago, garingovt2000 said:

Are Bradley and Wallace going to make the team?

Some of the beat writers are trying to gaslight the public into thinking Wallace had a good year last year for some reason. He probably makes the team but just because there aren't any numbers to push him out. 

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Some of the beat writers are trying to gaslight the public into thinking Wallace had a good year last year for some reason. He probably makes the team but just because there aren't any numbers to push him out. 

The same people saying the Eagles need to replace a top 10 LB?

34 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

Any guesses on what Flyers do in draft?  Also you think Hart gets traded?

1.  Select the wrong player

2.  Yes, and for not nearly the return they should get for him

1 hour ago, garingovt2000 said:

would be fun to watch.  new home run record would be 136

Nope.  

2 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

I meant in mlb

As a personal opinion, I prefer wooden bats at that level. I understand there is a safety factor for one thing - Feltner might be dead if Castellanos had used an aluminum bat - and, as @garingovt2000 suggests, it would radically change the game. Baseball, probably more than any other sport, is bound up in tradition and statistics. That is a large part of its charm and I would hate to lose that. I watch precious little these days but it would probably drop to zero if they added aluminum bats.

8 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

The same people saying the Eagles need to replace a top 10 LB?

Tommy said something good about Elliss as LB.  He did well in ST last season after being praised by the coaches and moved up in the roster.  He could at least be a role player in defense and could carve out a larger role if he continues to impress.  

Re LBs in general, many NFL teams are featuring TE as a major weapon in offense.  Case in point: Kelce on the KC team has been a problem for defense around the league.  To defend the TEs, it begs for questions: do we have the answers for that with the LBs and Ss on the roster now.  Do the coaches and DC have the schemes to defend and limit the TEs the team will face?  

17 hours ago, McMVP said:

Sirianni was saying how impressed he was with Hurts today.  I realize he would not say anything else, but he did sound as if he was going to make yet another leap forward. I certainly did not anticipate how much he would improve last season, and I’m not expecting an equal leap this year.  It would actually be scary to see what that would look like… In a good way.

I’m trying to think of what he would need to improve on most… What does the blog think is his most needed area of improvement?

Get better and quicker with the short stuff. Be a little less greedy. Watch a lot of Mahomes tape from last year to see how he and Reed adjusted. Sirianni and Johnson should tweak the offense just a tad to give Hurts more check-downs. Every deep call should have a check-down.

22 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

That ball looks bigger than Young's head

Are you trying to say he has big ball(s) or a little head?

From Kempski: 

"Also in safety news, Tristan McCollum got some reps at safety. He had previously been playing corner. Kudos to anyone who knew that McCollum existed.”

I have mentioned McCollum several times this offseason.  Always figured him as a S as that is primarily where he played at Sam Houston State.  Raw but talented and a tackler. He even played some Buck LB as a sophomore. Probably a PS candidate but has skills. He can bond with Brown as they are both Ss with CB skills and have twin brothers playing in the NFL.  (The last is a freebie for those beats that peak in here for story ideas.)

45 minutes ago, RLC said:

Should lead to some unpredictability

Pretty balanced, willing to blitz at least some of the time, I do like how uncommon it is for him to go light box. We have the talent in pass rush/secondary to compensate for stopping the run

10 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

Tommy said something good about Elliss as LB.  He did well in ST last season after being praised by the coaches and moved up in the roster.  He could at least be a role player in defense and could carve out a larger role if he continues to impress.  

Re LBs in general, many NFL teams are featuring TE as a major weapon in offense.  Case in point: Kelce on the KC team has been a problem for defense around the league.  To defend the TEs, it begs for questions: do we have the answers for that with the LBs and Ss on the roster now.  Do the coaches and DC have the schemes to defend and limit the TEs the team will face?  

To be fair in the Superbowl we solved the Kelce issue by ignoring it entirely, I'm not sure he even had a contested catch, he just wandered over the line to gain as we overcommitted and tried to catch Mahomes across the slip'n slide and failed.

It's like Gannon bet all his marbles on Mahomes being gimpy and ignored setting up the back end.

5 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Pretty balanced, willing to blitz at least some of the time, I do like how uncommon it is for him to go light box. We have the talent in pass rush/secondary to compensate for stopping the run

I expect more light box than less this year. With a rotation of Cox, Carter, and Davis inside I think we'll be better against the run even with a 4-2 alignment.

If you could do the 2023 offseason over again, which would you pick?

Fletcher Cox 10m$ AAV

James Bradberry 13m$ AAV 

Brandon Graham 6m$ AAV

OR

Javon Hargrave 21m$ AAV

CJGJ 8m$ AAV

53 minutes ago, just relax said:

Get better and quicker with the short stuff. Be a little less greedy. Watch a lot of Mahomes tape from last year to see how he and Reed adjusted. Sirianni and Johnson should tweak the offense just a tad to give Hurts more check-downs. Every deep call should have a check-down.

Definitely agree with this.  I’m hoping the addition of Swift will bring more of a focus on RBs in the passing game.  Miles Sanders started off looking that way.  He had 50 receptions his first year but, for whatever reason, they tailed off after that.

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

1.  Select the wrong player

2.  Yes, and for not nearly the return they should get for him

Does anyone ever get 'value' for a goalie (especially a young goalie)? 

11 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Fletcher Cox 10m$ AAV

James Bradberry 13m$ AAV 

Brandon Graham 6m$ AAV

OR

Javon Hargrave 21m$ AAV

CJGJ 8m$ AAV

Option 1, no question. Hargrave is 30 and a nagging lower body injury away from being useless and CJGJ revealed himself to be unreasonable.

No long term commitment to 2 team leaders and franchise cornerstones. Bradberry is a risk, but a better bet than Hargrave IMO.

20 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Fletcher Cox 10m$ AAV

James Bradberry 13m$ AAV 

Brandon Graham 6m$ AAV

OR

Javon Hargrave 21m$ AAV

CJGJ 8m$ AAV

Graham and CJGJ

Archived