EMB Blog: 2023 Camps and Preseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

23 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

If you could do the 2023 offseason over again, which would you pick?

Fletcher Cox 10m$ AAV

James Bradberry 13m$ AAV 

Brandon Graham 6m$ AAV

OR

Javon Hargrave 21m$ AAV

CJGJ 8m$ AAV

B

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

Should baseball players use aluminum bats?

Would need to put pitchers behind a net and 3rd basemen would need to wear catchers equipment. 

31 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Fletcher Cox 10m$ AAV

James Bradberry 13m$ AAV 

Brandon Graham 6m$ AAV

OR

Javon Hargrave 21m$ AAV

CJGJ 8m$ AAV

Hard to answer this without also knowing how the draft would be different.  I feel we got the best years out of Hargrave, and I’m excited to watch the Georgia boys in the middle, and I’m also hyped about Brown.  I’d lean for option A

17 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Fletcher Cox 10m$ AAV

James Bradberry 13m$ AAV 

Brandon Graham 6m$ AAV

OR

Javon Hargrave 21m$ AAV

CJGJ 8m$ AAV

I'm hardly a Howie apologist, but I think that the top option is vastly superior to the bottom.  

Leadership with Cox and Graham... for less money than Hargrave, who is starting to break down and has a big money commitment now.  Adding Carter makes the fact that Hargrave is a little younger than Cox a moot point.  

And CB > S.  That hasn't changed in the NFL, and CJGJ seems to have an issue getting along with the team he's on, and always wants to bark at the team he just left.  He did it with the Saints and now he's done it with the Eagles.  There's something just a little 'off' about him as an individual.  

1 hour ago, just relax said:

As a personal opinion, I prefer wooden bats at that level. I understand there is a safety factor for one thing - Feltner might be dead if Castellanos had used an aluminum bat - and, as @garingovt2000 suggests, it would radically change the game. Baseball, probably more than any other sport, is bound up in tradition and statistics. That is a large part of its charm and I would hate to lose that. I watch precious little these days but it would probably drop to zero if they added aluminum bats.

Thus why they limit golf clubs and balls…and why the tradition is part of the charm

9 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Huge discussion on twitter

Problem with the running back situation is just supply and demand. Too many guys coming out of college who excel in committees at the nfl level, and these committees can replicate the production of 10+m$ guys. Wildly different than, say, WR where nothing you can do will mimic what AJ Brown or Tyreek Hill add to your offense

Chase Brown plays the more glamorized position, but his brother made the smarter choice for longterm financial security.

14 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Huge discussion on twitter

Do that and you'll never see a RB taken in the first two rounds again.

On 6/6/2023 at 10:39 AM, Iggles_Phan said:

That's irrational!

3CPLlts.jpg

41 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Thus why they limit golf clubs and balls…and why the tradition is part of the charm

I have no argument with that and I have no idea where this line of discussion came from.

P.S. I would comment that the clubs players use today have almost nothing in common with what Ben Hogan used. Tradition goes only so far.

24 minutes ago, just relax said:

I have no argument with that and I have no idea where this line of discussion came from.

P.S. I would comment that the clubs players use today have almost nothing in common with what Ben Hogan used. Tradition goes only so far.

GPS apps also enable players to survey the green before playing their approach shots from the fairway or tee.  No need for the course map anymore.

5 hours ago, garingovt2000 said:

Are Bradley and Wallace going to make the team?

Bradley no.  Wallace is on the fence.

2 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Fletcher Cox 10m$ AAV

James Bradberry 13m$ AAV 

Brandon Graham 6m$ AAV

OR

Javon Hargrave 21m$ AAV

CJGJ 8m$ AAV

Bradberry and Graham.  No to the other three. 

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Problem with the running back situation is just supply and demand. Too many guys coming out of college who excel in committees at the nfl level, and these committees can replicate the production of 10+m$ guys. Wildly different than, say, WR where nothing you can do will mimic what AJ Brown or Tyreek Hill add to your offense

Chase Brown plays the more glamorized position, but his brother made the smarter choice for longterm financial security.

I don’t care for a "star” RB.  RB by committee behind a great OL makes better sense. 

RBs aren’t getting screwed, they’re getting paid and valued for what they’re worth just like any other position. FG kickers even the best ones get paid a fraction of what other positions make. Because they aren’t as valuable.

5 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Bradberry and Graham.  No to the other three. 

I disagree. I thought Cox played pretty well last season and I think we need an old head among the DTs this year. Tuipulotu and Williams are 24, Davis is 23, and Carter is 22. Collectively, those four guys have five years of experience.

Just a quick aside, regarding numbers for various positions, Otto Graham wore #60 and Sammy Baugh wore #33.

Of course Baugh was also the free safety and the punter, and Graham played safety too, so there's that.

15 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

RBs aren’t getting screwed, they’re getting paid and valued for what they’re worth just like any other position. FG kickers even the best ones get paid a fraction of what other positions make. Because they aren’t as valuable.

I think they're as valuable; they just don't last as long. The average career length of an NFL RB is 2.57 years, meaning that few make it to a second contract, where the real money is. Career expectancy for a RB is the shortest of all positions.

Still makes absolutely no sense for USC and UCLA to be in the BIG10. Hate all of these new conference alignments. Are they really expecting UCLA players to keep respectable GPA's while traveling that much? Are my expectations of D1 football players having good grades too high?  Am I naïve thinking that they actually go to class?

What adds to the stink is that there will no longer be a USC/UCLA vs. Big10 Rose Bowl.  

PITT and WVU would have made a lot more sense.

The aluminum bats now used in college have similar characteristics to wood bats - they use aluminum to save money, but adjusted those bats so exit velocities were reduced a few years ago.

https://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/bats/ncaa-stats.html

2011 - BBCOR standard. After extensive laboratory testing of a large number wood, metal and composite bats, and based on the scientific evidence and arguments of several researchers including Dr. Alan Nathan and myself, the NCAA abandoned the BESR standard and replaced it with the BBCOR=0.50 standard. This new BBCOR standard effectively requires non-wood bats (metal and composite) to produce batted ball speeds no greater than wood.

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

The aluminum bats now used in college have similar characteristics to wood bats - they use aluminum to save money, but adjusted those bats so exit velocities were reduced a few years ago.

2011 - BBCOR standard. After extensive laboratory testing of a large number wood, metal and composite bats, and based on the scientific evidence and arguments of several researchers including Dr. Alan Nathan and myself, the NCAA abandoned the BESR standard and replaced it with the BBCOR=0.50 standard. This new BBCOR standard effectively requires non-wood bats (metal and composite) to produce batted ball speeds no greater than wood.

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Still makes absolutely no sense for USC and UCLA to be in the BIG10. Hate all of these new conference alignments. Are they really expecting UCLA players to keep respectable GPA's while traveling that much? Are my expectations of D1 football players having good grades too high?  Am I naïve thinking that they actually go to class?

What adds to the stink is that there will no longer be a USC/UCLA vs. Big10 Rose Bowl.  

PITT and WVU would have made a lot more sense.

More sense but less money.

36 minutes ago, just relax said:

I think they're as valuable; they just don't last as long. The average career length of an NFL RB is 2.57 years, meaning that few make it to a second contract, where the real money is. Career expectancy for a RB is the shortest of all positions.

I think NFL teams view RB as a position that is more the product of the line in front of them than the players themselves.

35 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Doesnt factor in weight

1 hour ago, just relax said:

I disagree. I thought Cox played pretty well last season and I think we need an old head among the DTs this year. Tuipulotu and Williams are 24, Davis is 23, and Carter is 22. Collectively, those four guys have five years of experience.

Understood.  I just thought the amount almost necessitates Cox getting starter level of plays.  Was looking more at Joseph or Suh level of pay/snaps.  I think the amount for a 33 year old DT is too high but part of that is hindsight in view of the draft. 

Archived