Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Eagles Message Board

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Featured Replies

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

I have a daughter on the way, and I'm starting to gain some dad gut already.  I haven't had to do cardio since I was forced to in college, so I'm up for anything.  I've also been drinking and watching the Masters since 10:45 am and now am watching the Phillies.  Probably need to stop stuff like that.  

 

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

couple other ideas- achieving at least 10k steps per day. Or most amount of steps over a timeframe- like 3 months maybe?

I think an age based curve/bonus/normalization would be useful.  Heart rate might be good too.  
 

Maybe teams?  Involving anger, gloating, and trash talk would be ideal.

  • Replies 66.6k
  • Views 3.1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Know Life
    Know Life

    I turned 38 today and have lost 52lbs since February. I’m very rarely ever proud of myself, but I’m feeling pretty proud today and thought I’d share. Carry on.

  • At this point, I’d like to see a former HC on the staff, but the biggest coaching news left is whether Stout stays.  BOOOOOOOOM

Posted Images

Nice win for the Phils

7 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I didnt realize Farley's back surgery was his SECOND in the past year.

according to NDirish it was his second. https://jetrolot.com/eagles-position-preview-cbs/

Hard to paint with a broad stroke without more info, but the all-comer overarching risk of having major early career problems after 2 back surgeries on the same level versus 1 only is a huge difference.

I repeatedly said...take whatever you had him at and subtract 32 picks.

If its 2 back surgeries...now he’s just an immensely talented flier from whom anything you get, while you can get it, is a bonus.  
 

Not sure anything other than a majorly talented QB with that injury label would be worth it before round 4.

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

 

I think an age based curve/bonus/normalization would be useful.  Heart rate might be good too.  
 

Maybe teams?  Involving anger, gloating, and trash talk would be ideal.

greend is pretty old and could crush all of us in a step challenge. 

Im not sure if HR is a great idea. Karvonen method is the easiest formula to use for people to figure out their max HR but it doesnt work so well for older people, and depending on peoples health conditions, not sure its a good idea....

If we really wanted to, we could maybe set the challenge as maintaining 85% age predicted max HR (Karvonen method is 220 - age) for 15 minutes a day, for x number of days. 

 

Probably the safest, and easiest thing is a step challenge (most in 1 month?) and people can make that intense, or not intense, as they want. 

 

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Hard to paint with a broad stroke without more info, but the all-comer overarching risk of having major early career problems after 2 back surgeries on the same level versus 1 only is a huge difference.

I repeatedly said...take whatever you had him at and subtract 32 picks.

If its 2 back surgeries...now he’s just an immensely talented flier from whom anything you get, while you can get it, is a bonus.  
 

Not sure anything other than a majorly talented QB with that injury label would be worth it before round 4.

Im way out on Farley. Cause if his back is going to disintegrate, its going to happen in philly. And if its going to happen no matter where he goes, its going to happen the fastest in philly.

Phils stole one in Atlanta.

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Im way out on Farley. Cause if his back is going to disintegrate, its going to happen in philly. And if its going to happen no matter where he goes, its going to happen the fastest in philly.

At least the nightmare of Sidney Jones will make us gunshy.

Gronk is sort of the NFLs best success story on back surgery, although that was basically the major limiting factor in his HOF career.

He had one microdiscectomy in college...and it was absolutely a harbinger of things to come.  He had his 2nd after 2013 on a different level (that’s actually better).  He went to 2 pro-bowls after that, then needed a 3rd and retired (before coming back to catch some TDs as a statue in the playoffs).

And that is a physical freak massively defying the odds.

So if Farley is already on #2 before entering the league, I’d say don’t bother in any round unless you are a team looking for a quick fix at cb for a couple years.  
 

The bad back is really what brought JJ Watt back to earth from what he used to be.

5 hours ago, matchew88 said:

 

I respect the afan football analysis, but the belief in Keynesian economics and thinking the Democrats were at all responsible for a good economy is disappointing.

Well, Chicago school (Friedman) isn’t exactly lighting it up either.  When he deficit passed GDP and nothing happened (probably because of low interest rates) and the economists basically shrugged, my belief that economic theory is as flawed as political science driven theory was strengthened. Basically neither are right but the last two Fed chairs performance has been pretty good despite being economists. 

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

So, any takers on a blog fitness challenge?

How many pounds of (stomach) muscle we can put on? Covid reeked havoc on me. Believe it or not cooking more and eating out less was not great for my waistline (well and pairing wine when I didn’t need to drive didn’t help). 

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

Live look at @EaglePhan1986 with all his bishes in Ft. Lauderdale.  He told me they're all recovering nicely, and there haven't been any lawsuits because he made them all sign NDAs.

your favorite funny gif... : Page 9

image.gif.4a7677c30ac685da0f8927225051aadf.gif

3 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

How many pounds of (stomach) muscle we can put on? Covid reeked havoc on me. Believe it or not cooking more and eating out less was not great for my waistline (well and pairing wine when I didn’t need to drive didn’t help). 

Having more to lose should be an advantage.  
 

Wine pairing always helps. 

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

Well, Chicago school (Friedman) isn’t exactly lighting it up either.  When he deficit passed GDP and nothing happened (probably because of low interest rates) and the economists basically shrugged, my belief that economic theory is as flawed as political science driven theory was strengthened. Basically neither are right but the last two Fed chairs performance has been pretty good despite being economists. 

Currency risk is relative, so when the entire world depends on your currency and your population's consumption, you can stave off destruction for awhile. I get that libertarians can be rather black and white / idealist, but its only a matter of time if the trend keeps going. I haven't researched, but I wonder what the currency (or modern day equivalent) deficit was for the Romans when they diluted their gold, when the finally collapsed.

2 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Gronk is sort of the NFLs best success story on back surgery, although that was basically the major limiting factor in his HOF career.

He had one microdiscectomy in college...and it was absolutely a harbinger of things to come.  He had his 2nd after 2013 on a different level (that’s actually better).  He went to 2 pro-bowls after that, then needed a 3rd and retired (before coming back to catch some TDs as a statue in the playoffs).

And that is a physical freak massively defying the odds.

So if Farley is already on #2 before entering the league, I’d say don’t bother in any round unless you are a team looking for a quick fix at cb for a couple years.  
 

The bad back is really what brought JJ Watt back to earth from what he used to be.

Agreed on back surgery -- it scares the hell out of me. I've had minor back injuries, like lower back strains, and they were absolutely debilitating. 

But just to play devil's advocate, how much does position play a factor in this? Surely being a defensive lineman like Watt or a TE like Gronk puts much more of a load on the back than playing CB, which is probably the least physically punishing position of the 22 starters.

2 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

I didnt realize Farley's back surgery was his SECOND in the past year.

according to NDirish it was his second. https://jetrolot.com/eagles-position-preview-cbs/

Kinda makes it worse that he didn’t even play this year, according to him he injured both the L5 and the S1 last year and only elected to fix the L5.  Apparently this year prepping for his pro day the S1 then started bothering him again and his Dr recommended just to take care of it now.   Wentz had back issues in college and then as we know in the NFL.  If it’s true that both surgeries came from one injury, that may make it better for him but it’s still a risk. I’d be much happier if the Eagles went with Surtain or Horn for CB.  
 
If the worst thing about Surtain is his speed, at a minimum he could be a 10 yr starting safety, not that’s ideal for the 12th pick.  
 
Trae Waynes was picked 11th in 2015 another 4.3 guy like Horn that was handsy in college, he barely played as a rookie and his 2nd season he was 7th in PI calls.  He’s obviously better now with the PI calls, but now he’s on the Bengals, so there’s that, lol.

2 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Well, Chicago school (Friedman) isn’t exactly lighting it up either.  When he deficit passed GDP and nothing happened (probably because of low interest rates) and the economists basically shrugged, my belief that economic theory is as flawed as political science driven theory was strengthened. Basically neither are right but the last two Fed chairs performance has been pretty good despite being economists. 

Neo-Keynesians and Monetarists are wrong for the same reason: the belief that they or anyone else can price money or control the money supply without causing catastrophic unintended consequences. Friedman was one of the better big picture guys and he didn't want the Federal Reserve for a reason. He knew the danger.

The problem with economists is that they think they're physicists and that there are hard mathematical laws that they understand. There is an infamous quote by one of the absolute worst modern economists, Paul Krugman, where he says something along the lines that economies can be controlled by pulling policy levers. This concept presupposes that people are mechanical, that they all act the same, and more over not just that economists know how they will react but that they can look down the decision tree of 7 billion people to infinity. The best way to describe their world view is hubris.

I really don't think there has been a good Fed chair since Volcker. Everyone since then has simply used monetary policy to pass the disaster to the next guy. Greenspan lowering interest rates from Volcker's highs had merit at first. Then it became the Greenspan Put. Then it became the Fed Put. And now we are stuck in a debt trap. Basically every country is. That's why you have the IMF et al talking openly about coordinated central bank easing, because every country has no way out of its debt and the only answer they have is to inflate it away. Well, if some country breaks rank during this process, then the rest of them will go to hell with the swiftness.

I've had a herniated L5-S1, SI joint hypermobility in both sacroiliac joints, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, an anteriorly rotated scapula digging into my neck, medial scapula pain, and probably at my worst if I went to get diagnosed again, fibromyalgia. 

I also have gotten no surgery, and have no pain at all now for years at this point while deadlifting close to 600lbs at 190lbs

Orthopedic surgeons and great physical therapists told me I'm physically a mess, and Dr. John Sarno told me the opposite. And he was right

I'd take the chance on Farley no doubt if he fell into the 20s

Blog fitness challenge could be fun. I haven't done anything in a month except some light rowing, I go back to work tomorrow so I'm gonna try to start running some more.

On 4/11/2021 at 12:46 AM, austinfan said:

Trust the Board, Howie, trust the Board.

If you put together a good draft board, the decisions are easy, what am I offered v whether I have to go down a tier in talent.

You can't really plan what you're going to do, just set your board and let it dictate strategy.

This draft will have a lot of "reaches", especially outside the top ten.

Bet Howie was trying to get Miami’s pick at 18 ( + pick 50 - 2022 4th )  instead of 12 which I think the only 2 non reaches will be Devonta and Parsons but Miami said nah. 12 seems like no mans land in my book. Eagles got to hope 5 QB’s are taken in the 11 picks ahead of them to have 1 of Waddle, Surtain or Slater there for us and Howie should plan on that not happening. If accordingly Smith or Parsons aren’t good value picks on his board he better be working the phones real hard as we speak, no reaches at 12 allowed ... sorry

On 4/11/2021 at 1:28 AM, Swoop said:

I mean, does this seem out of the realm of possibility to anyone:

Eagles take Paye at 12 (who I like, just not at 12). Half of the board says it's a reach. The other half tries to justify it by saying the last "reach" from Michigan turned out okay.

When asked, Howie says he was at (or near) the top of their board and they like to build the lines. Points to success of Brandon Graham from the same school and Derek Barnett (as DEs taken early )who made a big play in the Vikings game the year they won the Super Bowl, proving that they are once again living in the past.

Yeah, Paye is going to be the pick. I'm convinced.

Howie’s draft board needs to be presented to Lurie pre-draft and audited in a strict fashion post draft, no mercy. Heard on a podcast and it makes a lot of sense, day 2 separates the cream from the skim milk when it comes to GM’s. Again still like my idea of each team being assigned draft capital based on previous seasons standings (+/- trades ) and let the teams bid on each player, putting their draft capital where their board is and no more having to find a partner to trade picks with

Yikes. 

9 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Well, Chicago school (Friedman) isn’t exactly lighting it up either.  When he deficit passed GDP and nothing happened (probably because of low interest rates) and the economists basically shrugged, my belief that economic theory is as flawed as political science driven theory was strengthened. Basically neither are right but the last two Fed chairs performance has been pretty good despite being economists. 

Their chickens havent had time to come home and roost yet...

as inevitable as the entitlement debt that we now face. Was built two generations ago.

look what this has done to japan

5 hours ago, mattmcginley7 said:

I've had a herniated L5-S1, SI joint hypermobility in both sacroiliac joints, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, an anteriorly rotated scapula digging into my neck, medial scapula pain, and probably at my worst if I went to get diagnosed again, fibromyalgia. 

I also have gotten no surgery, and have no pain at all now for years at this point while deadlifting close to 600lbs at 190lbs

Orthopedic surgeons and great physical therapists told me I'm physically a mess, and Dr. John Sarno told me the opposite. And he was right

I'd take the chance on Farley no doubt if he fell into the 20s

Probably all injuries from poor lifting form.

23 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Yikes. 

McLane wrote a piece like this maybe a month ago. There’s no doubt Howie lacks the leadership skills necessary to be an NFL GM. And Lurie can’t wrap his head around why it’s not the way a team should be ran.
 

Also, analytics are great, but we overdo it. 

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.