Horror Movie Thread

hputenis

I watched "No One Will Save You" over the weekend. It's interesting because there's pretty much no dialogue in the entire movie but it holds your interest. Good classic scares in the beginning and few good twists and turns. Worth watching. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gannan said:

I watched "No One Will Save You" over the weekend. It's interesting because there's pretty much no dialogue in the entire movie but it holds your interest. Good classic scares in the beginning and few good twists and turns. Worth watching. 

I liked that one too.

6 hours ago, hputenis said:

https://ihorror.com/the-best-new-horror-flicks-coming-to-streaming-platforms-this-week/

Yeah, I pretty much want to see every one of these immediately, especially Don't Look Away.  

Don’t look away? What’s that about? I’m sure it’s 4 hours of @mikemack8 being tied to a chair with his eye lids stapled open being forced to watch you and @Godfather ram ****s in @olsilverhair’s anus 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Don’t look away? What’s that about? I’m sure it’s 4 hours of @mikemack8 being tied to a chair with his eye lids stapled open being forced to watch you and @Godfather ram ****s in @olsilverhair’s anus 

@olsilverhair said 2 caulks aren't enough. He needs a 3rd one. Join in

Comes out next week, just like @hputenis and @olsilverhair secret love affair!

Anyway - this looks amazing.  Really liked Haunting of Hill House, Midnight Mass and the Midnight Club - watched an episode or so of Bly Manor but it was boring to me.  

• Like 2

I saw the new Exorcist tonight.  I liked it but I really wish it had better writers.  Holy hell is it heavy handed will it’s messaging.  The ‘show it don’t say it rule’ must have been taught the day these guys skipped class in film school.  It ultimately ends up feeling a bit rushed.  It has some good ideas and a really good "oh crap” moment that was very effective but it kind of stands out as far as audacious moments.  It’s like most of the movie has these kids being inhabited by a pg-13 demon.  That said, there are some good performances and likable characters that make it more effective than it probably should have been.  Mileage may vary on the fan service/ties to the original but I ended up enjoying it, even if that aspect was as heavy handed as the rest of the script.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shepard Wong said:

I saw the new Exorcist tonight.  I liked it but I really wish it had better writers.  Holy hell is it heavy handed will it’s messaging.  The ‘show it don’t say it rule’ must have been taught the day these guys skipped class in film school.  It ultimately ends up feeling a bit rushed.  It has some good ideas and a really good "oh crap” moment that was very effective but it kind of stands out as far as audacious moments.  It’s like most of the movie has these kids being inhabited by a pg-13 demon.  That said, there are some good performances and likable characters that make it more effective than it probably should have been.  Mileage may vary on the fan service/ties to the original but I ended up enjoying it, even if that aspect was as heavy handed as the rest of the script.

So all in all it’s worth a watch?

9 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

So all in all it’s worth a watch?

I think so but it’s something you can wait to see until it pops up on streaming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

I think so but it’s something you can wait to see until it pops up on streaming.

I pivoted last minute from exorcist to creator because it was that films last night in IMAX

3 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I pivoted last minute from exorcist to creator because it was that films last night in IMAX

You probably made the right choice.  I really want to see Creator.  How was it?

2 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

You probably made the right choice.  I really want to see Creator.  How was it?

I didn't watch any trailers or read about it -- just knew JDW was in it. So the near-future, Sci-Fi, Artificial Intelligence angle of it was a bit of a surprise for me. 

It wasn't bad, but it also didn't do much "new" and some of the characters or choices were kind of cliche or "done before". I don't know what the budget was (probably small given how little I saw marketed) but they did a hell of a job on effects/sets/action for what I imagine had to be modest financing. 

I saw the new Saw on Wednesday night. It was fantastic.  I like the series overall with a few flops in there, but this was my favorite of the entire series. The story went on a turn that I did not expect, and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time.  

Spoiler

I believe the plot timeline was between the 1st and the 2nd Saw. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I saw the new Saw on Wednesday night. It was fantastic.  I like the series overall with a few flops in there, but this was my favorite of the entire series. The story went on a turn that I did not expect, and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time.  

Reveal hidden contents

I believe the plot timeline was between the 1st and the 2nd Saw. 

That's good to hear.  I'll have to catch it soon.  Never enough good horror this time of year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, homerpat said:

truly awful list

You can’t argue with science! Some of them I can see.  Others, not so much.

18 hours ago, The_Omega said:

You can’t argue with science! Some of them I can see.  Others, not so much.

I didn't think it was that bad of a list honestly.  Sinister is fantastic (don't think it warrants #1 overall but it's up there).  The Visit was good but I doubt that should be top 15.  Conjuring 2?  No.  Insidious?  No.  Not a fan of that series at all and it didn't scare 1 hair off my nuts.  Never got the Babadook either.  The rest make sense to me.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

I didn't think it was that bad of a list honestly.  Sinister is fantastic (don't think it warrants #1 overall but it's up there).  The Visit was good but I doubt that should be top 15.  Conjuring 2?  No.  Insidious?  No.  Not a fan of that series at all and it didn't scare 1 hair off my nuts.  Never got the Babadook either.  The rest make sense to me.  

Agreed. It skews recent and I don’t agree with the order but there is a lot of very good to great horror on that list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

Haven't watched Sinister, I guess I should.  I didn't really get the hype behind the Babadook either.  I thought The Conjuring 2 was fantastic.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 3:30 PM, The_Omega said:

Haven't watched Sinister, I guess I should.  I didn't really get the hype behind the Babadook either.  I thought The Conjuring 2 was fantastic.

I’ve seen Conjuring 2 but maybe I was distracted. I’ll give it another try. Currently watching It Follows for the few minutes I have to myself for the day.  The plot sounds so stupid, but the movie delivers it so well. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I’ve seen Conjuring 2 but maybe I was distracted. I’ll give it another try. Currently watching It Follows for the few minutes I have to myself for the day.  The plot sounds so stupid, but the movie delivers it so well. 

I did finally watch Sinister. Not the scariest movie ever, but pretty good, and I do want to see what happens next.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Omega said:

I did finally watch Sinister. Not the scariest movie ever, but pretty good, and I do want to see what happens next.

Sinister 2 isn’t that good. If you didn’t like how the original delivered…..you won’t like the 2nd. 

Spoiler

I personally thought the scene where Ethan Hawke was investigating with his laptop open and Bagul turns his head to look at him was one of the scariest moments in horror movie history. @Shepard Wong might disagree but the first time I watched that movie, that sheet made me cray cray