EMB Blog: 2022 Post-Season - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

Tampa beat KC on the strength of their running game and by getting pressure from Barrett on the edge at LB.  The Eagles can do those same things.  

• Replies 37.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

And Patrick Mahomes thrives out of the pocket.  Looking for something from 2022, but found this article from 2021.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/patrick-mahomes-pressure-pocket-super-bowl-55/

In my informal and anecdotal view, the difference is that Mahomes moves to see the field and not necessarily just to escape pressure.  He also moves well away from pressure he can see.  My point being you cannot keep him in the pocket and get him to the ground.  You have to limit the time he can hold onto the ball.  

15 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

Welp. Entered a Vets raffle to win SB tickets. Didn't win but won floor seats to a NBA game lol. If i was a huge basketball guy id probably be thrilled. But I guess it will still be a neat experience.

Not a bad consolation prize.  In my opinion, sitting courtside at an NBA game was my favorite experience at a sporting event.  The size and athleticism of these freaks in such a tiny space (TV makes it look like they are occupying a huge space) is remarkable.  

5 hours ago, greend said:

At my age sneeze/farts are a real thing. It's all good unless there is wetness involved. 

Hey!  I resemble that remark!

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

In my informal and anecdotal view, the difference is that Mahomes moves to see the field and not necessarily just to escape pressure.  He also moves well away from pressure he can see.  My point being you cannot keep him in the pocket and get him to the ground.  You have to limit the time he can hold onto the ball.  

I think you can keep him in the pocket, and sack him.  IMO, he and Kelce are more dangerous when he breaks the pocket, and there are countless stats that back that up.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:
  • Patrick Mahomes vs clean pocket (2022): 117.2 QB rating, 31-5 TD-INT, 8.6 ypa, 75.3% completion rate, 93.6 PFF grade
  • Patrick Mahomes vs pressure (2022): 78.7 QB rating, 14-7 TD-INT, 6.6 ypa, 49.1% completion ratio, 73.5 PFF grade

2 hours ago, TEW said:

That’s my thought as well. This draft is pretty deep at some positions like DL and CB, but the top end talent seems pretty thin, especially at OT.

I think the good news at 10 is that the way things are looking we should end up with either Jones on the board or a QB that some team will give up the farm to get.

The one reservation teams will have is his inexperience.

6 minutes ago, NCiggles said:
  • Patrick Mahomes vs clean pocket (2022): 117.2 QB rating, 31-5 TD-INT, 8.6 ypa, 75.3% completion rate, 93.6 PFF grade
  • Patrick Mahomes vs pressure (2022): 78.7 QB rating, 14-7 TD-INT, 6.6 ypa, 49.1% completion ratio, 73.5 PFF grade

Yes, that is pressure IN THE POCKET.  Have I not said in my last 4 posts to keep him IN THE POCKET and sack him.

What I keep saying, is to not let him get OUTSIDE THE POCKET.  He is at his most dangerous outside the pocket off script.

With Mahomes so comfortable outside of the pocket, pressuring him there has had less of an impact against him as it would other quarterbacks. Nine quarterbacks had at least 50 passing attempts outside the pocket this season, including the playoffs. Mahomes, again, was the only one with positive EPA. Pressured outside the pocket doesn’t exclusively mean pushed out from pressure, but those plays are included. Pressure outside the pocket can be a play in which the quarterback was already outside and pressure came late. Either way, Mahomes is the outlier with positive performance.

43 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

Key note- Lions game was early in season, Gannon has grown since with his schemes and coverages. 

Cowboys game- we had a wounded secondary. Which is healthy now. And I believe Cowboys have the better Oline and Run game than KC. 

That being said, I am as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of people on rocking chairs. 

I think KC is a better O-line. Their C/LG were both second team all-pro. Brown is a serviceable LT. They are third in the league in sacks allowed (26 all year) by comparison Eagles allowed 44 sacks this year. 

20 minutes ago, downundermike said:

He will have had two weeks by game time, I do not expect the ankle to be an issue.

Once again, Mahomes is at his most dangerous when things are off script, especially when it comes to containing Kelce.

Keep him in the pocket and get him on the ground ASAP.

Mahomes outside the pocket >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hurts outside the pocket.

Im not sure that's true. He can definitely be more exciting to watch when hes off-script, but I don't think he's more effective.

Essentially, Id rather have him off script than on script, because the latter means guys are open and hes finding them and getting the ball out quickly.

I dont want him sitting back there all comfy on that ankle.  That's what the Bengals did, and they never really made him work for it like they should have.  I want to speed him up.  And I have faith in our secondary to cover their average and banged-up receivers long enough for the DL to chase him down.

To keep him in the pocket, the DL basically has to slow down a little bit and mush rush.   IMO I dont want that, Id rather blow up all of their plans and make them beat us with spectacular throws off the cuff than to marginalize our biggest strength.  Do what we did all year and just get after the OL.  Lets see if they can block us for 60 minutes.

I anticipate Mahomes' high ankle sprain will be 85-90% healthy by the Super Bowl.  It will not be fully healed, so that 85-90 number can decrease during the game.  When Mahomes leaves the pocket, the chasing DL/defensive player should be diving to trip him up -- meaning tackle him by the legs/feet.

Obviously a player can't do that while the QB is in the pocket (Bryce Paup comes to mind) but once the QB becomes a runner he does so at his own risk.  The wear and tear of this contact will take a toll and may subconsciously discourage Mahomes from extending plays with his legs.

14 hours ago, eagle45 said:

I’m really wrestling with whether or not to go to SB.  Wife’s sister getting married on Saturday…so it would be logistically tricky.  Could stay with some buddies in Phoenix, so I don’t have to figure out the hotel issue.  

There are still tickets available? Thought they would all be sold out by now

21 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Don't really care about the team but rooting for Ryans. Hope he's given an actual chance

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

If you were building a team and you were given the opportunity, would you rather take a prime Peters or a prime Lane?

It's tough. Let's assume both can play each tackle spot the same so there's no "LT because it's more valuable" or anything.

Really hard question, but it would be prime Peters for me, but I’m greedy so I’d be sure to build my team around both of them.

2 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

Im not sure that's true. He can definitely be more exciting to watch when hes off-script, but I don't think he's more effective.

Why do I have to keep posting the same thing over and over again, do you guys not read anything on the last page or two ??

Mahomes, again, was the only one with positive EPA. 

With Mahomes so comfortable outside of the pocket, pressuring him there has had less of an impact against him as it would other quarterbacks. Nine quarterbacks had at least 50 passing attempts outside the pocket this season, including the playoffs. Mahomes, again, was the only one with positive EPA. Pressured outside the pocket doesn’t exclusively mean pushed out from pressure, but those plays are included. Pressure outside the pocket can be a play in which the quarterback was already outside and pressure came late. Either way, Mahomes is the outlier with positive performance.

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Yea, I want to see our OL just straight up abuse them.  Been reading David Goggins books and one of the big takeways from him is to take your opponents soul.  I feel like Mailata did that to Bosa last week and the entire OL followed suit for the rest of the game.  Hit Chris Jones in the mouth from the opening snap.  Make him know it's going to be a long game and the rest of the D will crack.  

The Eagles also have to win the TE game. Don't let Kelce beat you.  Don't let him get rolling and get cocky.  Shut him up from play 1. 

I think the Eagles are capable of rolling over the Chiefs if they play the way they are capable of.  If Reddick, Sweat adn BG continue to dominate from the edge, they can make Mahomes night hell.  One more game of playing with their hair on fire.  We saw the Phillies flame out against Houston.  The Eagles can't let that happen.  

Yup.

And how interesting to find that Gannon is coaching them to be smoke jumping bad asses.  His attitude is intense and I LOVE IT.  Because they were told to take their souls.  And they did.  

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think KC is a better O-line. Their C/LG were both second team all-pro. Brown is a serviceable LT. They are third in the league in sacks allowed (26 all year) by comparison Eagles allowed 44 sacks this year. 

Sack percentage

Mahomes - 3.9

Hurts - 7.6

1 minute ago, mattwill said:

The one reservation teams will have is his inexperience.

Right, but in the end will it matter? And by in the end, I mean both from a draft position and production perspective.

He might only have 17 games or whatever under his belt, but that’s a year and a half as a starting lineman in the SEC for the repeat national champs. And he spent most of that time doing it as a 20 year old. To me, that’s impressive, not a knock. Generally the truly great players dominate at a young age regardless of the sport. It’s even more impressive as a lineman because sheer strength is required, and generally you don’t come close to maxing out your upper body until your mid 20’s.

Then you look at the alternatives, and there’s really nothing compelling. A bunch of solid prospects who will probably start in the NFL for 8+ years, maybe even make some pro bowls, but never be a truly dominant force.

This kid seems to be the only one with that kind of potential. So he’ll be the first one drafted by any team looking for a blue chip, dominant tackle. And he might even be overdrafted because of the potential and lack of alternatives.

I don’t know if Stout sees him as that kind of guy, but if he does then he’d be right near the top of my draft board. 

1 hour ago, TEW said:

Nolan Smith is interesting, but not a player I want in the top 15. Drafting that high I want a player with basically no question marks and a lot of upside. With Smith, you’ve got size and injury.

The other thing that makes Jones a clear choice over Smith is that there aren’t any other Jones-level OTs later in the draft, but there definitely are Smith-level DEs later.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

I think you can keep him in the pocket, and sack him.  IMO, he and Kelce are more dangerous when he breaks the pocket, and there are countless stats that back that up.

If he sees the pressure, he moves away from it easily.  If he doesn't see it, it's because it is super quick getting to him.  Those types of pressures don't happen very often against an Andy Reid offense.   Mahomes averaged 2.6 seconds of pocket time in 2022 which was second to Fields.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/passing_advanced.htm  He was pressured 140 times, hurried 58 times, hit 56 times but only sacked 26 times.  He was blitzed on 160 attempts which was the 5th most albeit behind Hurts at 172.  The idea that he can be pressured quickly in the pocket does not match the reality of the KC offense and his play. 

If the Eagles are getting pressure, then he will scramble.  They need to limit the time he has.    

1 minute ago, mattwill said:

The other thing that makes Jones a clear choice over Smith is that there aren’t any other Jones-level OTs later in the draft, but there definitely are Smith-level DEs later.

Exactly. This class is loaded with pass rushers and DL.

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yes, that is pressure IN THE POCKET.  Have I not said in my last 4 posts to keep him IN THE POCKET and sack him.

What I keep saying, is to not let him get OUTSIDE THE POCKET.  He is at his most dangerous outside the pocket off script.

The pressure stats don't specify in the pocket or out of the pocket.  I would assume they are inclusive of his outside of the pocket numbers.  

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Why do I have to keep posting the same thing over and over again, do you guys not read anything on the last page or two ??

How was is EPA in the pocket? 

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

So what? We're not playing every QB in the league, so comparing him to others is meaningless right now.

Hes human, pressure him and he'll play worse. 

The strategy youre recommending would be better for a Kyler Murray or Justin Fields. Mahomes doesnt have any issues processing the action, and he isnt a threat to take off and beat you with his legs right now. 

Hed just sit there and throw balls right over our mush rush, and they have a good OL so I want our DL going balls to the wall

3 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

So what? We're not playing every QB in the league, so comparing him to others is meaningless right now.

Correct, we are playing the only one who had a positive EPA when pressured and outside the pocket.

Good god, you guys need to stop being so homerish.

While I am confident and expect to win, you guys are really setting yourselves up to be massively disappointed if it doesn't go our way.

Archived