EMB Blog: 2022 Post-Season - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

58 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

1. Dont let Kelce beat you.

2. Get Mahomes off the spot on every play.

Do those two things and the Eagles win.  Make Mahomes run around, make it chaotic for him. He'll turn the ball over.  Dont let him just pitch and catch to Kelce, make him throw it into Slay/Bradberry and quicker than he wants.  

If the offense doesnt turn the ball over, I dont think we'll need to worry about scoring points.

Mike’s assessment illuminates the biggest difference between the two teams.  The Chiefs can kill you with the superior play and individual brilliance of Mahomes and Kelce.  The Eagles can kill you with the superior play of half a dozen individual players, as well as very special … and effective … cohesion as a team.

• Replies 37.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Key to the game is stopping them on 1st/2nd down. Get them in third and longs and behind the sticks. Chiefs have no problem dinking and dunking their way down the field, and that's my concern with Gannon. I don't expect him to change who he is so he will play to not give up the explosive play and Mahomes will gladly take the short/intermediate middle of the field. 

Should just expect that Mahomes will get his insane throws and TDs

Bucs capitalized off of the Chiefs backup tackles and the receivers dropping balls

What exactly with the loyalty to Kern if they end up keeping him on the roster and playing him in the Super Bowl? He is so clearly the worst player in the team and a major liability.  The recent comments by Siposs that he is healthy and ready to go but it isn't his call is very concerning. 

Siposs certainly isn't a great punter but Kern is the worst I've ever seen. 

15 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think KC is a better O-line. Their C/LG were both second team all-pro. Brown is a serviceable LT. They are third in the league in sacks allowed (26 all year) by comparison Eagles allowed 44 sacks this year. 

They are also 1st in pass block win rate and 3rd in run block win rate. I said on Sunday after they won, you could argue it’s the second best oline in the league behind the eagles and arguably the best oline the eagles have played in a game this season.  Humphrey and thuney are two of the best in the league at their positions. 

that said it’s also the best pass rush that the chiefs have seen all season as well. I actually think sweat could have a nice game in this one against brown. I’ve seen him beat better tackles this year. 

13 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I anticipate Mahomes' high ankle sprain will be 85-90% healthy by the Super Bowl.  It will not be fully healed, so that 85-90 number can decrease during the game.

KC's offense got way worse as the game went on against the Bengals. They scored on their first three possessions, but after that went two of seven, and likely only scored on the seventh due to a penalty.

His ankle was clearly an issue in that game, and got noticeably worse throughout the game.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Disagree with the bolded.

You are not going to get Mahomes off his spot every play, and the guy makes insane plays when he has to go into scramble mode.

Additionally, it makes Kelce more dangerous when it becomes backyard football for those two.

It is actually a better plan to keep Mahomes locked in the pocket and get him on the ground. Make him get the ball out fast so his receivers, and especially Kelce do not have time to improvise.  

I see Kansas City trying to establish the run early, so they can dictate who we have on Kelce.  If we have to keep White / Edwards on the field to keep the running game in check, that is a huge advantage for KC, as you are then covering Kelce with White / Edwards.

Did Andy Reid retire in the past couple of days?

10 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Key to the game is stopping them on 1st/2nd down. Get them in third and longs and behind the sticks. Chiefs have no problem dinking and dunking their way down the field, and that's my concern with Gannon. I don't expect him to change who he is so he will play to not give up the explosive play and Mahomes will gladly take the short/intermediate middle of the field. 

Agreed.  While the Chiefs are not a strong running team ( 20th in yards per game ) they are still 11th in the NFL in TOP.

Mahomes is quite comfortable taking what you give him, getting the ball out quickly and eliminating your pass rush.  I would assume a chunk of Jerrick McKinnon's 56 receptions are short, easy completions that substitute for running plays.

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

They are also 1st in pass block win rate and 3rd in run block win rate. I said on Sunday after they won, you could argue it’s the second best oline in the league behind the eagles and arguably the best oline the eagles have played in a game this season.  Humphrey and thuney are two of the best in the league at their positions. 

that said it’s also the best pass rush that the chiefs have seen all season as well. I actually think sweat could have a nice game in this one against brown. I’ve seen him beat better tackles this year. 

Yup this is the best o line the eagles will face all year, and they are much better pass blocking than run blocking, they dont run the ball esipecially well, though I do like Pacheco, he runs angry but lacks breakaway speed.

On the flip side as you say this will be the best D line KC sees all year as well.

While KCs D line is good eagles have seen better D fronts in SF and WAshington.

Chris Jones is a problem but eagles OL has met the challenge  all year and beat up better DLs than the chiefs.

2 hours ago, TEW said:

Nolan Smith is interesting, but not a player I want in the top 15. Drafting that high I want a player with basically no question marks and a lot of upside. With Smith, you’ve got size and injury.

What about in a small trade back, to 13/14...

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Correct, we are playing the only one who had a positive EPA when pressured and outside the pocket.

I deleted the nonsensical part of your post.  Youre not the only objective fan on the board and anyone who disagrees with you isn't being a homer

Youre cherry picking and not giving us all of the stats.  What is his EPA inside the pocket?  

And if Im reading the same article you did, your EPA stat is for the playoffs only which is a total of 19 snaps.

We're having a reasonable discussion here, no need to call people homers.

1 minute ago, greendestiny27 said:

What about in a small trade back, to 13/14...

It’s an opportunity cost. Who else is there? I’m thinking there will be some better players/guys with less risk.

Just now, TEW said:

It’s an opportunity cost. Who else is there? I’m thinking there will be some better players/guys with less risk.

Gotcha, I'm just flirting with ideas. 

2 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Yup this is the best o line the eagles will face all year, and they are much better pass blocking than run blocking, they dont run the ball esipecially well, though I do like Pacheco, he runs angry but lacks breakaway speed.

On the flip side as you say this will be the best D line KC sees all year as well.

While KCs D line is good eagles have seen better D fronts in SF and WAshington.

Chris Jones is a problem but eagles OL has met the challenge  all year and beat up better DLs than the chiefs.

Pacheco doesnt lack speed though. Hes a 4.3 guy.

3 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

I deleted the nonsensical part of your post.  Youre not the only objective fan on the board and anyone who disagrees with you isn't being a homer

Youre cherry picking and not giving us all of the stats.  What is his EPA inside the pocket?  

And if Im reading the same article you did, your EPA stat is for the playoffs only which is a total of 19 snaps.

We're having a reasonable discussion here, no need to call people homers.

Do you not see it.  At least 50 passing attempts outside the pocket INCLUDING THE PLAYOFFS

With Mahomes so comfortable outside of the pocket, pressuring him there has had less of an impact against him as it would other quarterbacks. Nine quarterbacks had at least 50 passing attempts outside the pocket this season, including the playoffs. Mahomes, again, was the only one with positive EPA. Pressured outside the pocket doesn’t exclusively mean pushed out from pressure, but those plays are included. Pressure outside the pocket can be a play in which the quarterback was already outside and pressure came late. Either way, Mahomes is the outlier with positive performance.

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

lacks breakaway speed.

what the hell is 4.3 speed?

26 minutes ago, TEW said:

Right, but in the end will it matter? And by in the end, I mean both from a draft position and production perspective.

He might only have 17 games or whatever under his belt, but that’s a year and a half as a starting lineman in the SEC for the repeat national champs. And he spent most of that time doing it as a 20 year old. To me, that’s impressive, not a knock. Generally the truly great players dominate at a young age regardless of the sport. It’s even more impressive as a lineman because sheer strength is required, and generally you don’t come close to maxing out your upper body until your mid 20’s.

Then you look at the alternatives, and there’s really nothing compelling. A bunch of solid prospects who will probably start in the NFL for 8+ years, maybe even make some pro bowls, but never be a truly dominant force.

This kid seems to be the only one with that kind of potential. So he’ll be the first one drafted by any team looking for a blue chip, dominant tackle. And he might even be overdrafted because of the potential and lack of alternatives.

I don’t know if Stout sees him as that kind of guy, but if he does then he’d be right near the top of my draft board. 

All good points … points that are from an Eagles perspective.  There is only one Stoutland, and the other non-Eagles GMs will look at all those pluses with more uncertainty than the Eagles will.  Further, very few NFL front offices are as committed to the Trenches … building from the inside out … as the Eagles are. And even for the ones who are similarly Trenches oriented there are two other more advanced OTs in Skoronski and Johnson, plus Carter, Anderson, Wilson, Murphy, all of whom will appeal as much as Jones does.

JMO

4 minutes ago, myerstheman said:

what the hell is 4.3 speed?

how did you quote a post of something I didnt say?

12 minutes ago, Utebird said:

9 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

The fastest RB at the combine last year lacks breakaway speed :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

image.png.637e93b77c652f3675261ea5a2645397.png

I don’t have time to read through everything, but what is Mahomes’ EPA when pressured and he gets outside of the pocket vs a clean pocket?

I see that he is the only QB with a positive EPA, but if it’s significantly worse than with a clean pocket, pressure would still be a good thing regardless, no?

how did you quote a post of something I didnt say?

Not sure.  hahahahah. Obviously it was meant for the other guy.  Maybe I grabbed it from your response by accident.

how would you like to go out for a winter shrimp run ?

Sorry; I can't this weekend.  Maybe next winter.

Just now, myerstheman said:

Not sure.  hahahahah. Obviously it was meant for the other guy.  Maybe I grabbed it from your response by accident.

Weird. Never saw that happen. Wonder if its some kind of glitch in the board after the update. @VaBeach_Eagle any idea what could have happened here?

10 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Lots of guys run fast on the track but on the field get caught from behind 

Westbrook was a 4.5 guy but looked liked the fastest guy in the field 

Pacheco is kind of one note runner, full speed straight ahead, has build up speed but still gets caught from behind plenty.

I'm not worried about him or the KC running game.

I think eagles D line will shut down KC running game 

Archived