EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

Connecticut Eagle

25 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

Other than Booth or Gordon I'm not so sure.  McPhearson is a plus athlete with a year of the defense under his belt.  

But... he can't be good, he was a 4th round pick in a limited draft class.  (this is the counter to the argument used against those bemoaning the loss of the draft picks from 101 onward to make the moves for Davis and Brown.)

/sarcasm

• Replies 48.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I'll destroy my cell phone when I'm done, it'll be fine

"working out" was probably poor phrasing by me. It was mostly him goofing off with his buddy in a gym

It takes a draft genius to come up with some of those questions designed to throw people off. Ill just say that since I didnt get to participate in my one game (thats like cheating).

36 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I won't deny, I'm scared of adding Ojabo before Round 3.

it's possible that given Brooks' experience they feel better about an achilles injury but I don't like it.  I would be fine with him in the 3rd but they would be passing on a likely starter at a position of need (not that DE isn't) that would be more a sure bet in the 2nd.  

14 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I don't want your nut, but I have a friendly bet for you if interested...

I think they may be comfortable with letting McPhearson and Gowan battle it out for #2 CB. Move Vincent to S and Scott backs up Maddox.

Bingo.

If they can't get a day 3 pick for him, it's possible. He's clearly behind Brown, Smith and Watkins...Paschal probably too.

Look man, in all seriousness...I hope you're right.

@Texas Eagle

14 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Man he bounced right in there like a mosh pit, some fans walked away bruised from the big fella.  :lol:

I watched 2 streams of Adam Caplan and Geoff Mosher. One done just before the draft and one done after. They both speak to a ton of people in the league and had some very good info on Jordan Davis and Jermaine Johnson. Their points were consistent both pre and post draft - so this isn't just revisionary rationalisation.

On Jordan Davis they discussed that he had a significant weight problem in Georgia. His weight fluctuated a lot during the season and he often played at 360 lbs and even north of that at times. The coaches worked with as much as possible but they just couldn't get him to keep his weight under control. They said it's not that he's a bad kid or doesn't care or anything but it was a red flag for some teams that he couldn't keep the weight down during the season but then magically got it down to 240 lbs for the combine. Georgia did rotate DL a lot but it also helps explain why his snap counts were so low. They did mention he's a great teammate, really funny and really well liked by everyone. This aspect of him I think is really important for the Eagles. Look at their earlier picks in recent years. They always get guys who are universally accepted as being great teammates.

Listening to them pre-draft, I became more comfortable with drafting Davis. I'd even say very hopeful. To me it's clear that the only thing they'll need to keep in check is his weight. They gave the Shawn Andrews comparison. I'm not sure what his playing weight should be. Maybe it's 340? Maybe 315? Depends what they want him to do schematically (and what weight he's even capable of maintaining). But I'm confident that so long as he keeps the weight under control, he'll be a foundation of this defence for a long time and enable the LBs and DBs to do so much more - regardless of how much he's able to progress as a pass rusher. If he can also develop into a good pass rusher (which he has the physical gifts to do), then look out. That's All-Pro potential and beyond.

On Jermaine Johnson - they said that he rubbed a lot of teams up the wrong way with his immaturity and focus on "his brand". Like really, really bothered teams. And they said this pre-draft too. So it seems there's your explanation for his drop. Must have been pretty bad for him to drop so far. 

Here's the post draft discussion:

5 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

It takes a draft genius to come up with some of those questions designed to throw people off. Ill just say that since I didnt get to participate in my one game (thats like cheating).

You are surprised by J. Amour-Davis and you presume yourself to be a draft genius?  🙂Real draft experts have known getting him in the 3rd round would be a great pick.  Guy is an NFL starting CB.  If he and Cross at S are the Eagles day two picks I'd be ecstatic.

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

Hypothetically, lets say there was Zero change we wanted Hamilton...

Give me Jermaine Johnson at 15 + 124 + 162 + 166 over Davis every day of the week. 

Nah.

1 hour ago, garingovt2000 said:

Any chance we go WR again if Pickens, Pierce, or Watson are on the board?  My prediction/hot take is Pierce goes to Green Bay and leads all WR in receiving yards

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

59 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

You need to see how the rest of the draft shakes out. Eagles still have 51 and 83 with plenty of good players on the board, or they could trade back from 51 and get a few more picks.

I'd bet on a trade back.

38 minutes ago, downundermike said:

A bunch

image.png.68ef9bf80f5950b83ec9a117c1c5ca41.png

With Gannon wanting to run 2 high with a lot of zone...Alontae Taylor would fit the bill well. But, they may want to let these other younger guys just compete. For me, I want Booth but no way he's there at 51 unless this injury is more than the public has heard. 

28 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

I think Alontae Taylor and Jalen Armour-Davis are underrated. I think both could develop into starters. No more elite guys but plenty of talent left. 

Like Taylor a lot as a zone CB.

26 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

It was a joke, I was told by 4-5 members for 15 pages telling me zero chance booth gets out of the first

Your assertion was he'd be there at 51. Still don't think it's happening.

23 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Eagles offense is above average at every position besides QB.

RG remains TBD.  But, maybe.

3 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

You are surprised by J. Amour-Davis and you presume yourself to be a draft genius?  🙂Real draft experts have known getting him in the 3rd round would be a great pick.  Guy is an NFL starting CB.  If he and Cross at S are the Eagles day two picks I'd be ecstatic.

literally no one ever mentioned him in here prior to the past month. No one knew about him before he popped up on their favorite draft website which happened very late in the game. There is not a single person in here who can claim him as their guy if we draft him. I call shenanigans. 

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I think Seumalo and Driscoll are at least adequate 

4 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Your assertion was he'd be there at 51. Still don't think it's happening.

And he was so sure of that assertion, when I challenged him to a bet, he wanted to set the over / under at 20. :roll::roll::roll:

21 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

well Im sure some here would say it was impossible to sign our draft class and hand out that contract to AJ Brown. So on top of those things, where will the money come from for Mathieu?

Im sure Howie can do it. There are teams like Tennessee who have to give away young talent due to money. And then there is the eagles, with their elite GM taking advantage of those teams while fans complain about hour bad OUR GM is. 

If Brown's contract doesn't include significant cost for this year, but really hits starting next year, then why not?  Brown's not that expensive on his rookie deal cost right now.

17 minutes ago, bbabraham said:

On Jordan Davis they discussed that he had a significant weight problem in Georgia. His weight fluctuated a lot during the season and he often played at 360 lbs and even north of that at times. The coaches worked with as much as possible but they just couldn't get him to keep his weight under control. They said it's not that he's a bad kid or doesn't care or anything but it was a red flag for some teams that he couldn't keep the weight down during the season but then magically got it down to 240 lbs for the combine. Georgia did rotate DL a lot but

Men Before And After Weight Loss: Healthy Food Helps Ben Lose 85 Pounds

120 lbs in 3 months. nice

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

literally no one ever mentioned him in here prior to the past month. No one knew about him before he popped up on their favorite draft website which happened very late in the game. There is not a single person in here who can claim him as their guy if we draft him. I call shenanigans. 

I would not claim him as my guy, but those of us who are super draft nerds, @Outlaw @Ray75 and others definitely knew who he was.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

If Brown's contract doesn't include significant cost for this year, but really hits starting next year, then why not?  Brown's not that expensive on his rookie deal cost right now.

because dont we get tons of complaints about the amount of dead money already piling up for next year as well? Yes. Yes we do....

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

I would not claim him as my guy, but those of us who are super draft nerds, @Outlaw @Ray75 and others definitely knew who he was.

I am the EMB's foremost draft nerd. lets see the earliest post on the board mentioning him. Ill give them credit if its before april. 

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I want that Falafel kid or Waletzko.

3 months ago, the Cowboys had one of the best WR groups in the NFL, if not the best. The Eagles were probably bottom 5.

After players coming and going with both teams, the Eagles wake up today with the best WR group in the division.

1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

3 months ago, the Cowboys had one of the best WR groups in the NFL, if not the best. The Eagles were probably bottom 5.

After players coming and going with both teams, the Eagles wake up today with the best WR group in the division.

Maybe. Let's see them perform before we crown them.

6 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I am the EMB's foremost draft nerd. lets see the earliest post on the board mentioning him. Ill give them credit if its before april. 

He went 90th in our EMB mock draft, so give @Cheesteakitis his props.

image.png.7c7446d56bf9acfd890f1cf361b7dac1.png

1 minute ago, CouchKing said:

Maybe. Let's see them perform before we crown them.

We have seen them perform.

21 minutes ago, Rhinoddd50 said:

While there were other Eagles Round 1 scenarios that could have played out that would have also had merit, and could have been considered a successful Day 1, the Eagles exceeded my expectations last night.   

- I believed that DL was the biggest need overall on the team.   And I think Davis was a rare enough talent that he was definitely the right target.

- The WR corps really needed a young, quality, veteran more than another rookie.  And preferably a player that complemented what was already here, not another redundancy.   I don't see how AJ Brown doesn't fit that requirement almost perfectly.

- I've read some complaints about Fletcher Cox being resigned, specifically as it relates to the Davis pick.  I might be missing something, but I don't really see a valid connection?  Fletcher only cost them money, and while he might be overpaid, they probably rewarded him for re-working his deals over the years to provide more cap flexibility.   Fletcher is still an Average to slightly Above Average DT, so I don't see any problems.  He just provides more depth and takes pressure off Davis in Year 1.

- Going back almost 20 years now on this message board, I know that have been I guilty in the past of overvaluing total draft picks versus impact picks.    The Saints won a Super Bowl with something like 26 or 27 players on that roster entering the NFL as UDFA's.    Howie has his flaws, but he knows how to create additional draft capital.   

- And quite frankly, if the Eagles can add just a few additional impact players (via the Draft, UDFA, or Free Agency), then this team might only be a Top 10 QB away from being pretty good.    That QB may or may not be Jalen Hurts, and there are no guarantees that the Eagles will win any potential QB lottery in the 2023 Draft.   So QB is, and will continue to be, the biggest question mark hanging over this team over the next 12-24 months.   

Good to see you about.

BTW... the bolded is the part I agree with the most.  ;) 

29 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Actually two fourth rounders (McPhearson and Scott), a sixth because he sat out for Covid (Gowan) and a seventh because he sat out for Covid that Howie traded a sixth for (Vincent).  Did you watch McPhearson at Texas Tech, Gowan at UCF, Scott at Michigan State or Vincent at LSU?  They aren’t some UDFAs. All have good speed.  McPhearson is the slowest.  I don’t think they get roasted deep.  Don’t judge by round.  Guess you hated Asante Samuel too (slow, short fourth rounder).

I will say that the team doesn't have a proven number 2 on the roster.  Adding early picks with a number of good prospects at an important position, isn't a bad idea.  

image.jpeg.88d62b86b59eb493739be170eaf73990.jpeg

image.jpeg.674a6daddc1fa7604a29e6da3392cdf1.jpegimage.jpeg.cb0cb502009c1984f1c6872c1ab8ed3a.jpeg

Archived